How to Be the Rebel Spy?

Traver Freeman

Mouseketeer
We're headed to WDW in about 7 weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting picked as the rebel spy? I have always wanted to get picked, but seemingly never do.

I have heard things like they don't often pick people riding by themselves because they want a reaction from the audience, is this true? (We are going with a party of 7, but I've ridden by myself before)

Also, I generally try to not be looking around and making odd faces, I try to get them a full view of my face, but is sitting there all "stone" like working against me? I figure if all they see is the side of my head cause I'm talking to someone then they can't get a good photo.

Are there seats or rows to avoid (not that you have much choice)? Or anything else? When do they even take the photo or decide who the rebel spy is. Before or after they verify all the seat belts?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I'd like to know how to not get picked. Its probably happened to me 10 times since the new Star Tours came online and its not a ride I do re-rides on. I'm not stoked about attention, ever. I wish they'd always just put it on a kid. Maybe there's something about me that looks like I'm a bad guy?

Weirdly, I'll tell you this - I'm pretty sure every time I've been "picked" my head has been slightly cocked as I'm obviously watching what's happening but listening to my travel partner.

I'd like to know how to not get picked. Its probably happened to me 10 times since the new Star Tours came online and its not a ride I do re-rides on. I'm not stoked about attention, ever. I wish they'd always just put it on a kid. Maybe there's something about me that looks like I'm a bad guy?

More than likely they pick you because they know you don't want to be picked? Lol. We were at Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor on our last trip and one of our friends did NOT want to go because he said they'd pick him for something and he didn't want to. We told him they won't pick him the entire time we're waiting in line. And then we get in there and he's "That Guy" and he was so embarrassed and hated us for making him go. I think they picked him cause they heard us talking while waiting. Just a theory.

The CM picks who. They'll go for someone who's not paying attention or doing something weird. If you're just sitting there staring straight forward they'd be less likely to pick you over someone who's picture would look funnier or more interesting

I can't imagine the CM that does the picking has any clue on who is traveling alone and who is with others. They aren't the one that asks you how many in your party

I don't think there is any thing specific you can do to get picked. I've been told to never put on your glasses before being told to, if you want to be picked, that they won't pick someone with the glasses on. No idea of that's true or not.
I was picked on one of our trips last year, as was DGD. Different trips though

The CM picks who. They'll go for someone who's not paying attention or doing something weird. If you're just sitting there staring straight forward they'd be less likely to pick you over someone who's picture would look funnier or more interesting

That would be my face when I'm listening - weird, head cocked, faint smile, and I definitely try to not be noticed and that may be why I am. My ex thought it was a riot.

We're headed to WDW in about 7 weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting picked as the rebel spy? I have always wanted to get picked, but seemingly never do.
QUOTE].

I just thought they picked whoever was sitting close to the middle in the front row? My DD was the Rebel Spy we were sitting pretty much dead center in the front. We were on the front row again this past trip but were the first in so we were all the way to the right. The little boy in the front middle was the spy

I just thought they picked whoever was sitting close to the middle in the front row? My DD was the Rebel Spy we were sitting pretty much dead center in the front. We were on the front row again this past trip but were the first in so we were all the way to the right. The little boy in the front middle was the spy

No the row doesn't matter.

A few years ago when my nephew was like 7 or 8 and we rode we were in the back row and he got picked...his face went up on the screen and everyone saw he was picking his nose. He was pretty embarrassed and it was great. He learned his lesson lol

My boyfriend gets picked almost everytime, and we ride a lot. So maybe be an attractive guy and hope for a female cast member?

I dunno. I'm always hoping to be picked and I've only been chosen once. I happened to be holding a stuffed hooter the elephant from captain EO. All the cast members in the line were admiring him.

He definitely showed up in the pic too since he was on my lap.

Last edited:
I got picked on the last ride of the night, wearing a pair of Mickey ears in March 15. First time that had ever happened to me so I was happy :)

They say do not put your 3D glasses on until they tell you to. The camera needs a full face scan and having the glasses on voids any chance of being the "Rebel Spy".

This last trip I was picked for the first time (and I've been on that ride quite a lot). I was sitting dead center in the front row. In the past I've always thought it was random, but after having sat where I did, I would have sworn it was the seat. Now that @CAS239 has said otherwise, this makes the memory even better! I happened to be wearing my Star Wars Rebel shirt at the time, so I guess the CM thought it would be funny! :teeth:

My son and I went on it 3 times on our visit last year, different days and times. He got picked all 3 times and he thought it was the greatest thing ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter