How to Be the Rebel Spy?

They say do not put your 3D glasses on until they tell you to. The camera needs a full face scan and having the glasses on voids any chance of being the "Rebel Spy".

This worked for us, once. Before one of our trips several years ago, I read that leaving your glasses off until the last possible moment was a way to increase your chance of being picked. We tried it, and my daughter was picked. She was thrilled. It has only worked that one time when we've intentionally tried to get picked, so it may have just been a coincidence. Worth a try though. FWIW when my a daughter was picked we were sitting in the last two seats of the row we were on.

I picked one time I to hurt trying to get my bag under my set, had to get off and they had to call the paramedic for me ( I was not hurt that bad at all just Disney policy. after the paramedics left the CM asked what ride I have done I told him the few I have done I was put in the next one and I was picked. I think it is a CM that is either loading/ doing the talk inside or something. After I got off the manager asked how I liked being the spy and handed me an anytime FP for any ride.

So as fair as I know it is random and like other say do not look like you really want to be it, but if you get a chance to tell a CM near where you get on then well you never know.

I also did the VIP day of thrills tours and one person on the tour was the spy so if you book this tour let the VIP guide know they maybe able to talk to the CM do get this for you, but I would not book this tour just fro this.

I literally have been DYING to be the rebel spy. I've got a pair of custom Minnie ears that are styled like Princess Leia. Maybe that'll get it for me? :rotfl:

I have been chosen 3 times total- twice at Disneyland and once at WDW. I have no idea what I do. 2 of my kids have also been chosen- so our family has been the spy 5 times. I kind of feel like I'm quick at getting my seatbelt fastened? The time my son was chosen I had fastened his seatbelt quickly to then do mine. We have been seated all over- so that was not it. Truly at WDW I was sitting and buckled quick (I'm not like racing to get buckled- it just doesn't take me long) and was sitting there while others were taking their time and I actually thought "I wonder if I will be the spy" Indeed I was. Who knows!

We've had a couple of rides when the 'rebel spy' wasn't even on the ride. Maybe they were short staffed or something but the kid they picked was not on the ride twice last trip.

I was chosen once. I was goofing around with a girl in the seat next to me who was scared (with her parents permission!). Of course the picture was me with my tongue stuck out and face all scrunched up.

At least the little girl started giggling and wasn't scared when the ride started!

I have ridden several times over the past several years. I was chosen for the first time last trip. I was in the last row in the back corner. I wasn't doing anything special...just listening to my son's story. Completely random...no special ears, no special SW attire, no special facial expressions

I've got nothing to help figure how to increase your odds of being chosen.

More than likely they pick you because they know you don't want to be picked? Lol. We were at Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor on our last trip and one of our friends did NOT want to go because he said they'd pick him for something and he didn't want to. We told him they won't pick him the entire time we're waiting in line. And then we get in there and he's "That Guy" and he was so embarrassed and hated us for making him go. I think they picked him cause they heard us talking while waiting. Just a theory.
Ha! Love your story! They zoomed in on my DD once during the Monsters Inc pre-show. She tried to duck out of sight. That was it. The camera man kept zooming in on her again and again and putting up funny captions like "I love attention". It was hilarious!

We've had a couple of rides when the 'rebel spy' wasn't even on the ride. Maybe they were short staffed or something but the kid they picked was not on the ride twice last trip.

Wow! Really? I will have to look for this. 9 times out of 10 the rebel spy is someone I don't know, so I don't bother paying attention to whether that person is actually in the ride or not. I didn't know they'd use old pictures?

You could just ask...
my one son had been picked twice and my youngest wasn't. It was a little lesson in life isn't fair. Then my oldest son then started bragging about it. Well wife then just asked CM quietly and nicely. Voila.

I was picked, I thought it was because I didn't put my 3-D glasses on. 3-D makes me a little dizzy so I left them off at first.

:darth:

The CM picks who. They'll go for someone who's not paying attention or doing something weird. If you're just sitting there staring straight forward they'd be less likely to pick you over someone who's picture would look funnier or more interesting

I was there solo and was looking straight ahead on the ride. Originally, I was the last person in my row (the back row) when we first loaded the ride. However, the ride broke down and we had to exit. As we were getting back on, I saw that I'd be seated first near the wall. I've sat near the wall many times and wanted to sit where I would have sat on the first loading, so I told the people behind me to go on ahead of me. Lo and behold, I got picked to be the rebel spy. I hope the people I told to go ahead of me didn't think I'd planned it that way. I just wanted to sit somewhere different for once.

No idea on Star Tours :confused:

I can tell you on MILF if you sit by one of the lamps that are found in the forward rows... you are lot likelier to be "That Guy."

I really don't know, but in the matter of two days on one trip last year, my DH was the Rebel Spy, That Guy and the guy pulled out of the audience during the Sword and the Stone show. Maybe the fact that he's a big and tall guy who looks fun and approachable and wears clothing that always stands out has something to do with it? Maybe the fact that he's always chatting up the cast members and making jokes with them while we are standing around waiting?

ETA: when my husband was the rebel spy, he was wearing a bright yellow Homer Simpson Shirt where Homer's face covered like his whole stomach. On the monitor the picture of the spy wasn't my husbands face, but his shirt, so technically, Homer Simpson was the Rebel Spy not my husband.

I can't imagine the CM that does the picking has any clue on who is traveling alone and who is with others. They aren't the one that asks you how many in your party

I don't think there is any thing specific you can do to get picked. I've been told to never put on your glasses before being told to, if you want to be picked, that they won't pick someone with the glasses on. No idea of that's true or not.
I was picked on one of our trips last year, as was DGD. Different trips though

A CM gave this tip to my wife for me and it worked! Re the glasses.

I read somewhere one of two things. One is that right before you board to watch the TV screen and sort of stare ahead. Another thing I heard was when you board, store everything under your chair asap, don't put on the glasses, buckle up fast and again stare ahead. I heard they only have a few moments to take the picture so they generally look for the person who finished sitting down quickly without fussing. When I read about this I tried it out and was picked. I was actually really surprised it worked. When I went to Disneyland I told my fiance and friends and my fiance ended up getting picked. Not sure if its true or not but it seemed to work for me :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter