How to Be the Rebel Spy?

Rode this two different times one day. I was picked the first time and one of my twin boys was picked the second time.
Weird!!!
I have no idea.

You could just ask...
my one son had been picked twice and my youngest wasn't. It was a little lesson in life isn't fair. Then my oldest son then started bragging about it. Well wife then just asked CM quietly and nicely. Voila.

That feels like cheating to me. Lol. I'm not that desperate. I might do it for my son when he is old enough to ride, but don't think I'd ask for myself. I will just keep waiting patiently. One of these days it will be me!

I read somewhere one of two things. One is that right before you board to watch the TV screen and sort of stare ahead. Another thing I heard was when you board, store everything under your chair asap, don't put on the glasses, buckle up fast and again stare ahead. I heard they only have a few moments to take the picture so they generally look for the person who finished sitting down quickly without fussing. When I read about this I tried it out and was picked. I was actually really surprised it worked. When I went to Disneyland I told my fiance and friends and my fiance ended up getting picked. Not sure if its true or not but it seemed to work for me :)
I feel like I pretty much do this all the time and it makes no difference to me. :/

The CM picks who. They'll go for someone who's not paying attention or doing something weird. If you're just sitting there staring straight forward they'd be less likely to pick you over someone who's picture would look funnier or more interesting
Well that explains why my then-5-year-old was picked on our 2014 trip. She's usually doing something weird. ;) We almost bought her the t-shirt from the gift shop that says "I am the Rebel Spy" but decided to just take a picture of her holding it up instead.

She was also chosen to be the first child to ask a question at Turtle Talk on our last two trips. Both times she was sitting on the end nearest the door of the front row of kids and had on a white shirt, and she also has long blonde hair. Our theory is that she was picked first because she was easy for Crush to see.

For the record....my son had his glasses on when he was the spy, and I have seen other spies in glasses.

I was picked on our trip this past fall, not sure if there was anything special I did to deserve it! We were in the front row, and we are pretty speedy in getting our stuff under the seats, buckled up and ready for the ride, so that may have helped. They hadn't had this the previous time we went, and we had no idea it was added, so it was a bit of a surprise!

That feels like cheating to me. Lol. I'm not that desperate. I might do it for my son when he is old enough to ride, but don't think I'd ask for myself. I will just keep waiting patiently. One of these days it will be me!
Well in all fairness, my wife only did ask a couple times and usually late at night. My son was 6 and is a massive Star Wars fan. The other time was for our niece on her first trip to Disney and it was her birthday. I promise she was extremely nice and did it when there were less than 10 other people in there with us.

I'd like to know how to not get picked. Its probably happened to me 10 times since the new Star Tours came online and its not a ride I do re-rides on. I'm not stoked about attention, ever. I wish they'd always just put it on a kid. Maybe there's something about me that looks like I'm a bad guy?
Put your glasses on earily and sit in the corners or front row...do not ask how I know.

I just thought they picked whoever was sitting close to the middle in the front row? My DD was the Rebel Spy we were sitting pretty much dead center in the front. We were on the front row again this past trip but were the first in so we were all the way to the right. The little boy in the front middle was the spy
We were in back row when they picked my husband as the rebel spy. But the picture looked like it was taken while he was standing outside

I've been picked twice. The first time, I was sitting about 2/3 of the way up, in the center, not doing anything special.

The second time, I'm 99.9% sure they took the picture outside. In the picture, I was wearing a Mickey ears headband, which I had taken off while I was walking in the ride so I wouldn't block the view of people behind me.

I was, at one point, told that I couldn't be the spy because I board the ride late. I go around with my scooter and wait for the CM to come and get me. They must pick whomever it is before I get on the ride.

Last edited:
I just love this thread, when I saw it I chuckled... Only because my husband and I always say when we get on the ride we want to be picked as the Rebel Spy! Maybe one year we finally will :)

I've been picked several times, and read somewhere (please don't ask where cause I don't remember, but it was probably a dis board type of thread), that to be picked you only have to sit down and hook your seatbelt before anyone else does. The CM's only have a short period of time before they have to post the rebel spy picture, and I was told that if you are in your seat quickly, hooked up, that you will be picked. I guess that might right because I always quickly sit down and hook the seat belt and wait. And, Bingo, I'm picked. Try it and see! This could just be a theory someone mentioned, but it makes sense to me that they only have a short time period to pick someone, and if someone is taking their time sitting or hooking up, then they are passed over.

First time we rode my daughter was picked who was 8 at the time and a HUGE Star Wars fan. She was over the moon!

I've never been picked as the rebel spy on ST, but I get picked all the time when we go to Laugh Floor. I've been "That Guy", I've been the guy that dances, and I've been the guy who's going to buy churros...all that in our last 4 visits to Laugh Floor.

DD was picked - it was our first trip, first day, first ride at Disney! She is a huge Star Wars fan (she was dressed as C3PO, my LO was R2D2 that day), and she didn't know that they would show the spy at the end. It was awesome!

When I got picked the CM had started talking to us in the queue about my mickey ears, I mentioned that it was our 4th time on the ride that day. Next thing I knew I was the rebel spy, my sister was jealous.

I'd like to know how to not get picked. Its probably happened to me 10 times since the new Star Tours came online and its not a ride I do re-rides on. I'm not stoked about attention, ever. I wish they'd always just put it on a kid. Maybe there's something about me that looks like I'm a bad guy?

No, no, no!!! The rebel spy is a GOOD guy!!! It means you're working for the Resistance, and Darth & his minions are after you!!! You're the HERO!!! :)

I've actually been chosen just once, in the hundreds of times I've ridden this ride. I was riding solo - so, so much for being part of a large group. I was in the back row, in the corner - so, so much for sitting in the middle. I WAS looking serious, and wasn't smiling, though, as I have somewhat of a RBF (if you get my drift.) I think it's just completely random.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter