How to handle the heat?

robndani

DIS Veteran
On our trip last April I started not feeling well and I think I was dehydrated even though I'd been drinking water. I found a shady spot and sat down and drank two bottles of water in a row. I was almost thinking I would pass out. After a few minutes we walked and sat inside and had lunch. I was pretty much okay after that.

Ever since I've been nervous that it will happen again. Last trip I brought vitamin water zero and drank one or two per day along with water and only had one almost incident but I just sat down in the shade and drank a bottle of water.

Any advice for me? We're going for a few nights over Labor Day weekend.

Thanks and sorry so long!!

In the hot weather we find we have to force ourselves to take AC breaks even if it's not when we would normally want to. Like go see something like Philharmagic at a time we normally wouldn't so we can sit down for a bit in the AC. That kind of thing. I really think it's all about a touring plan that works in lots of AC where you are sitting for a bit. In and out of lines and stores doesn't cut it for us. And 8 glasses of water a day of course :)

Start drinking the recommended amount of water before you go. It won't do any good if you are already dehydrated before you arrive. Start now so it's habit and really pay attention to how much you are drinking at home and in the parks. It's probably less than you think.

Also, coffee and pop will dehydrate you. Be very concious of how much you are drinking and hydrate appropriately.

Start drinking the recommended amount of water before you go. It won't do any good if you are already dehydrated before you arrive. Start now so it's habit and really pay attention to how much you are drinking at home and in the parks. It's probably less than you think.

Also, coffee and pop will dehydrate you. Be very concious of how much you are drinking and hydrate appropriately.

I don't drink any sort of caffeine or soda so I'm always drinking water in the morning. I'll try to drink an extra bottle before we leave the room for the day. Thanks!!!!!

If you had to sit and drink two bottles of water in a row, you had already lost that battle long before that happened. You need to drink water before you go, and continue to do it while you're there. It doesn't mean you need to down 10 gallons a day. Not at all. But whatever you're drinking now, raise it by a decent margin. Start it a few days before you leave. Hydration prior to heat exposure is critical. One of my hobbies is race car driving. I'll do a two hour shift in a race during the summer. We're wearing full fire suits, helmets, gloves, etc..in a very hot car with no a/c. If I don't hydrate a lot at least 3 or 4 days before hand, it's a disaster.

Use the ride that have a/c during the hottest parts of the day, to give you a break. For example, things like Philharmagic or Ellens' Energy are great heat-of-the-day attractions.

Some of it is also about your acclimation to the heat. What is the climate where you live? Some people are used to heat, some aren't. Even those who are have varying levels of tolerance, based on a ton of factors (health, physical conditioning, etc...).

Really, for a short weekend trip, just use common sense and you'll be fine. We do 2+ week trips mid-summer with no issues.

We are here now and it is definitely hot, but not as hot as we have experienced it. That being said, we carry Brita
(since they filter) soft side water bottles and we drink at least one bottle per hour. You can refill them for free all over the parks at any of the quick service locations. Of course it means more bathroom breaks but so worth it to stay hydrated. We still accomplished 10 rides before noon doing this :)
We also use the cooling cloths as those truly help.

I don't drink any sort of caffeine or soda so I'm always drinking water in the morning. I'll try to drink an extra bottle before we leave the room for the day. Thanks!!!!!

We were just at the beach and a guest went to the floor from dehydration. My DH is a Doctor and helped her as she was not responding to voices. She eventually came around and had to get checked out by paramedics. She came back with Gatorade. Electrolyte replacement is also a good thing to do in the heat with how much sweating and walking we all do.

Drink early, drink often. If you wait until you are thirsty it is too late.
And find AC whenever you can. That's easier in some parks than in others. Epcot is an AC heaven, for instance. Animal Kingdom you have to work a lot harder. I'll sometimes duck into a gift shop for 10 to 15 minutes, or even sit through that Nemo show if I need to cool down.

We were just at the beach and a guest went to the floor from dehydration. My DH is a Doctor and helped her as she was not responding to voices. She eventually came around and had to get checked out by paramedics. She came back with Gatorade. Electrolyte replacement is also a good thing to do in the heat with how much sweating and walking we all do.

Glad she's okay! That must have been scary!!! That's why I started with the vitamin water, for the electrolytes. Gatorade has sugar which I can't have otherwise I'd do that. I've also seen DIY electrolyte drinks so I may try making those!

Of course it means more bathroom breaks but so worth it to stay hydrated.

Yes, just hope you never get stuck on a ride for an extended period... :fish: :D

Glad she's okay! That must have been scary!!! That's why I started with the vitamin water, for the electrolytes. Gatorade has sugar which I can't have otherwise I'd do that. I've also seen DIY electrolyte drinks so I may try making those!

They make plenty of sugar free Gatorade type drinks, so you can grab those.

If you had to sit and drink two bottles of water in a row, you had already lost that battle long before that happened. You need to drink water before you go, and continue to do it while you're there. It doesn't mean you need to down 10 gallons a day. Not at all. But whatever you're drinking now, raise it by a decent margin. Start it a few days before you leave. Hydration prior to heat exposure is critical. One of my hobbies is race car driving. I'll do a two hour shift in a race during the summer. We're wearing full fire suits, helmets, gloves, etc..in a very hot car with no a/c. If I don't hydrate a lot at least 3 or 4 days before hand, it's a disaster.

Use the ride that have a/c during the hottest parts of the day, to give you a break. For example, things like Philharmagic or Ellens' Energy are great heat-of-the-day attractions.

Some of it is also about your acclimation to the heat. What is the climate where you live? Some people are used to heat, some aren't. Even those who are have varying levels of tolerance, based on a ton of factors (health, physical conditioning, etc...).

Really, for a short weekend trip, just use common sense and you'll be fine. We do 2+ week trips mid-summer with no issues.

What a great hobby! So cool! I'm 39 and have young kids. Im in good shape, healthy, etc. I'm from NJ but moving to FL so I guess I'll have to get used to it! My body is also hyper sensitive to pretty much everything so I'm sure that doesn't help. I guess I don't drink as much water as I thought I did. Lol

What a great hobby! So cool! I'm 39 and have young kids. Im in good shape, healthy, etc. I'm from NJ but moving to FL so I guess I'll have to get used to it! My body is also hyper sensitive to pretty much everything so I'm sure that doesn't help. I guess I don't drink as much water as I thought I did. Lol

If you have a smart phone there are free water tracking apps. I have used Daily Water drink tracker in the past. It helps me when I get out of the habit.

We're originally from PA...DW is a Jersey native, but we try not to talk about that. :P We moved to Atlanta about 3 years ago. Yeah, you have to adjust, but frankly the weather here isn't a ton hotter than it would get during a mid-Atlantic heat wave. It just happens more often and lasts longer. Love it. If I never see snow again, I'll be happy.

Yeah, just try hydrating a little more a few days before you go. In any WDW park, go to a QS counter (don't need to wait in the line) and ask for ice water. They all give it out for free and usually have cups of it pre-made. We do it a lot, and it's wonderful.

I drink tons of water in my everyday life. Easily over 100 ounces a day. But the August heat in Florida still does me in. We do midday breaks by the pool. That's how we get through the summer.

The true secret to enjoying a WDW vacation in the heat of September is to acclimatize yourself to the heat before you go. You can drink enough to keep yourself from getting heat exhaustion, but you cannot drink enough to make the heat feel any better. You will still be hot and miserable. The only way to feel more comfortable in the heat, again, is to acclimatize yourself to it.

My wife and I run every day in the summer, so this helps, but about a month before our annual Sept trips we also start walking 5 miles/day in the heat of the day. The first few runs in the heat feel miserable, but you get used to it. Same with the walks - you get used to it. By the time we hit the parks in Sept, walking around on a hot, humid days is a breeze.

Maybe you don't run, and maybe walking isn't your thing, but I encourage you to spend more time outside, in the heat of the day, doing some sort of physical activity before your trip. You won't regret it.

We go in July or August each year and we freeze a bottle of water for each of us to take to the parks in the morning and then we take another one along after our afternoon breaks. They usually don't totally melt until the morning is almost over and then the same for the evening so we always have a cold drink that can double as an ice pack if you need additional refreshment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter