How to handle the heat?

I moved to Alabama in 1978, and i'm still not used to the heat and humidity. Probably never will be.

I learned years ago that you have to hydrate constantly when it is hot outside. When i'm at Disney, or even cutting the grass outside, I wear a Camelbak and drink from it constantly. I've found that I can handle the heat much better by drinking constantly. I also drink plain old water. And, when you think you've drank enough water, you haven't. Keep drinking.

I also wear loose fitting light colored (khaki) garments. I stopped wearing dark shirts and pants outside years ago. They made me feel hotter.

Our annual trip is end of August, so definitely very hot, but it seldom bothers us. Here's what we do:
  • wear a hat, nothing will bring on sunstroke faster than an exposed head in the hot sun. I'm actually quite shocked how many people don't wear hats in Florida in the summer.
  • wear sunscreen - doesn't keep you cool to wear it, but keeps you from burning which will be very uncomfortable in the heat once you've got it.
  • stay hydrated, drink water regularly
  • ADRs, we're going to eat 3 meals a day anyway, so having an ADR (especially at lunch when it's the hottest) is an amazing way to cool down and have a built in break. If it's a character meal, you have the added bonus getting some M&G out of the way and not using up your non meal time for that.
  • Indoor attractions and/or stores - if we start to feel overwhelmed with the heat, then we head inside. There are plenty of opportunities (attractions and shops) at all the parks to get out of the sun for a few minutes.

Also try keeping your head covered and wear long sleeves. I know this sounds odd but... I live in central Alabama and work in a VERY hot plant (no AC) and we are outside some to. As a kid I lived near Orlando. It took me a long time to get used to wearing a hat and long sleeves. I wear long sleeve fishing type shirts (t-shirts and the button down) make sure it is a wicking fabric. The long sleeve shirt will help hold the moisture against your skin and give you a cooling affect from the evaporation. Also hydrate, hydrate and then hydrate. I got a bad case of heat exhaustion working on a roof when I was in my teens from not drinking enough. Keep in mind to balance your water and Gatorade. TO much water can be a problem if you are not replacing your electrolytes. To much gatorade can be a problem (sugars, other chemicals....).

PS...I've lived in the south my whole life, you never really get used to the heat and humidity.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. We start drinking water the night before.

We walk through stores to get from point A to point B. Plan on high capacity, air conditioned attractions in between outdoor attractions.

Dine indoors rather than patio or outdoor seating.

Free ice water is available at any counter service restaurant and most stands.

Caffeine, alcohol and sugar can be counterproductive in cooling off and staying hydrated.

Frog togs and other water based cooling mechanisms don't work as well in heat and humidity. They require more frequent wetting than they would up north.

An umbrella to block sun in outdoor queues help, if you don't mind lugging one astound.

PS...I've lived in the south my whole life, you never really get used to the heat and humidity.
Not picking on you, but I read this kind of comment all the time and totally disagree. I am from the South (born in Texas and lived most of my life in TN and AL). I love the heat. So, clearly, some people can get used to the heat and humidity.

Lots of good advice here, but I want to add that you may want to have a snack with you that includes salt. For example some crackers with cheese sticks. I'm a geologist and I was working on a drill rig in temps of over 100 degrees and drinking a TON of water, but I was also sweating and you sweat out salts - I got sick because of the lack of salt. Gatorade will help, but I would combine that with salt.

It's sooo hot in late August. Take things slow and do drink a lot of water. Bring a small mister fan. We also filled ziploc bags with a few ice cubes and put a damp washcloth in them to use in the park. That was a nice way to cool off in the shade.

Lots of good advice here, but I want to add that you may want to have a snack with you that includes salt. For example some crackers with cheese sticks. I'm a geologist and I was working on a drill rig in temps of over 100 degrees and drinking a TON of water, but I was also sweating and you sweat out salts - I got sick because of the lack of salt. Gatorade will help, but I would combine that with salt.

Interesting and will do!!!

It's sooo hot in late August. Take things slow and do drink a lot of water. Bring a small mister fan. We also filled ziploc bags with a few ice cubes and put a damp washcloth in them to use in the park. That was a nice way to cool off in the shade.

My kids are obsessed with their Disney spray fans and we usually fill it up with mostly ice when the day starts!!!

Hydration is the most important thing, especially with liquids that aren't water. Drink when you don't think you need to because humidity is deceptive.
I always have a MIO Electrolytes pack in my bag to put in the water I get from restaurants.

Stand in the shade when possible. Walk through shops. Carry an umbrella (I don't use it for walking, but it's wonderful while sitting and waiting for the parade or shows). Sit when you need to. Run cold water over your wrists.

Make sure your wardrobe is appropriate. Breathable fabrics are super important in keeping you cool.

Most importantly, listen to your body. The instant you feel even slightly off, get yourself inside.

I've lived in FL for 2.5 years and come from a place with no humidity. I still die a little inside every time I step outside in the summer.

Not picking on you, but I read this kind of comment all the time and totally disagree. I am from the South (born in Texas and lived most of my life in TN and AL). I love the heat. So, clearly, some people can get used to the heat and humidity.

As I get older I find I don't like the heat OR the cold. I am more fond of spring and fall. Love the days when its in the mid-70's and low humidity.

I'm like you, I'm fine in the heat. I kinda love it, even if I try to not get much sun exposure (sunscreen, wide brimmed hat, etc.).

Here's my "rules" before I leave for a day in the parks - no one gets coffee before they drink a full bottle of water (I'm the one who makes an early morning breakfast/coffee run). Everyone should drink a full bottle before bed. Sunscreen before leaving and at least 2 more applications. Wide brimmed hats make you SO much cooler. If you start hydrated, and days before is any even better idea, your day is just much easier.

I hate that you had a rough time - hopefully the next will be better!

On our trip last April I started not feeling well and I think I was dehydrated even though I'd been drinking water. I found a shady spot and sat down and drank two bottles of water in a row. I was almost thinking I would pass out. After a few minutes we walked and sat inside and had lunch. I was pretty much okay after that.

Ever since I've been nervous that it will happen again. Last trip I brought vitamin water zero and drank one or two per day along with water and only had one almost incident but I just sat down in the shade and drank a bottle of water.

Any advice for me? We're going for a few nights over Labor Day weekend.

Thanks and sorry so long!!
A small UV umbrella works wonders. These umbrellas have a special coating that keeps the sun from shining through. You can use it as a parasol to block the sun. (A regular umbrella won't block much sun, btw. It really needs to be a UV umbrella- you can find them online, even purse-sized ones.) I won't go to WDW in the summer without my UV umbrella.

I'm also a believer in mid-day breaks from the parks in summer. That's what the resort pool is for.::yes::

Last edited:
A small UV umbrella works wonders. These umbrellas have a special coating that keeps the sun from shining through. You can use it as a parasol to block the sun. I won't go to Florida in the summer without mine.

I've thought of using one. Do you have any issues storing it on rides? It'd be a nice option if it's not a PITA, also, how cute!

I had a similar occurrence on our first trip with kids. I felt weak and overall sick at AK- the kind of sick where you know you should eat or drink something, but you feel so miserable you can't. It took shade, water, and AC to bring me back to 100%.

Second trip, I learned my lesson. I are sure to pack powder Propel mix, the size that fits into a bottle of water. I made sure to drink one at night, right before bed, and then I drank another one before leaving the room each morning. Then I drank only water during our time in the parks. Something this simple kept me from that lightheaded, sick to my stomach feeling.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I love drinking those G2's, as well. I live near Miami, so I'm never really surprised by just how hot WDW is in the summer. Since we go so often, we're more apt to hiding during the heat of the day (between 12-3) we'll hide in an indoor quickservice place for an hour, sometimes even more. Keep filling up our waters and have some dessert after our meals.

I make sure not wear any black or dark blue in the summer, either. Attracts wayyyy too much heat. I like to put my lion mane hair up into a high bun to keep it off of me. Ride a water ride, douse myself in cool water. Get a dole whip and hide. We're hiders, lol. Anything to cool off, really.

I survived five summers in Disney no problem but made the rookie mistake last summer drinking hot coffee right before I went outside , I got sick and had to stay inside for two days.
So like everyone says on here.. Hydrate!! We also bring salty snacks with us to the parks, and mid day breaks are KEY!! Wear a hat and reapply Sunscreen .Step into the AC as much as needed!
I'm getting more good tips from reading this thread... Might look a into UV umbrella

I've thought of using one. Do you have any issues storing it on rides? It'd be a nice option if it's not a PITA, also, how cute!
Mine is only about 7 inches long when folded up, so it fits perfectly in my bag whenever I'm not using it. Lightweight, too. Got it on Amazon. Worth its weight in gold at the parks in summer.

We're from the West Coast so my family isn't familiar with the heat and humidity. So I make sure we carry our Camelbaks with 3/4 of it filled with ice then with water or Gatorade and I make them sip it constantly. It's also nice to have the cool feeling on your back with all the ice in there. We also use the cooling towels (but the thinner ones) and carry it in our backpacks in a ziploc bag wet with more ice. Then whenever my kids need it I make them put it on their head while they walk, it seems to cool the body down quicker.

All the suggestions above.

I play tennis in TX when it's about a billion degrees. Normally I stay hydrated with cool water with Nuun tables (vitamin B supplement), but if I start to not feel well, I bring out the full bore Gatorade. That electrolyte boost makes all the difference. If I were going to Disney in August though I'd probably carry a supply of water mixed with Gatorade and sip it throughout the day. A bag of ice right on top of the head or on the neck for a minute also helps. And avoid caffeine and alcohol!

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!