How to make a teen happy??

tmatthews

Momof3
I have an almost 16 year daughter traveling with us over Easter to Disneyland. Unfortunately her brothers are only 12 and 3! I bought us the so cal passes so many days are spent in DL, zoo, universal and seaworld. We wil spend the first w/e of our trip in SD. How can I keep her happy? I know the beaches.....she loves to shop.....and isn't so into being with me! A friend isn't an option because of $$. Any ideas:confused3 ??

Just try to ask her little things she'd like to do and let her choose those things. Where to eat, what beach she wants to go to, where she'd like to shop, what rides she wants to go on. It seems like it might be a hard trip for her if she's at the age where she doesn't like spending time with parents, and will have to do lots of little kid activities. It you just make the effort to show that you are trying to let her make a lot of the choices, that would help a little atleast.

At the hotels would you let her go to the pool by herself or anything like that? Being given some freedom may make her feel better too.

My DD is 14 and my DS is 9. Neither of them are big ride fans (no heights or nothing fast), so the typical roller coasters and such are not a big draw for her. For our trip in April we will be hitting Seaworld, SD Zoo, Legoland, then we will spend two days doing Laguana Beach, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, A tour of movie star homes, taking in Meet the Robinsons at the El Capitan Theatre, and then finally we will head to DL for 4 days. The two days doing the beaches and Hollywood is really for the 14 yr old. She loves to watch Laguana on TV (it is a popular show), so she is excited to see that. Venice Beach looks promising for both of my kids, so maybe that can be an option for you? And of course my DD loves Disney, so she will love DL.
Hope that helps a little...... ;)

Are you looking for teen friendly activities in San Diego?

For shopping - UTC in La Jolla, Fashion Valley and Mission Valley in San Diego and Carlsbad Premium Outlets (on your way to Anaheim). If you are going Downtown, you can also try Horton Plaza. (I wouldn't go there just for shopping due to the traffic and parking issues.)

My teens prefer the surfing beaches in North County. Where are you staying in San Diego? She might enjoy surf lessons with the Surf Divas, an all girl surf school.

Have you considered letting her bring a friend? My almost 14 year old son wants to bring a friend on our next trip to SoCal and so we hav eagreed to pay for his friend's lodging, food and admission fees but his parents will be paying for his flight.

When I was about that age, my parents dragged me all over L.A. for the moviestars homes, beaches, etc. I was bored out of my mind. This was not any fun for me, and might not be for you DD. Also, I would never want to go to a movie while on vacation. What's the appeal. So what if Disney ownes the El Capitan. You can do the movie at home. Your going on vacation.

Are you going to Knott's or Magic Mountain? If money is an issue, Knott's after 4pm admission price is a good deal.

Just my thoughts:idea:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter