How to transport a walker on a WDW scooter?

pixieprincess925

I can't get to Disney soon enough!
I have a friend going to WDW in a couple months. She typically uses a walker for stability and is concerned about having a scooter/ECV at the resort and having to park it on the bus/skyliner/etc.

Is there a way for her to use the walker to park entrance, then rent an ECV from there? What would she do with the walker at that point?

I have a friend going to WDW in a couple months. She typically uses a walker for stability and is concerned about having a scooter/ECV at the resort and having to park it on the bus/skyliner/etc.

Is there a way for her to use the walker to park entrance, then rent an ECV from there? What would she do with the walker at that point?
at Epcot, they asked if we wanted to leave the walker when we rented a scooter for my husband so they will probably store it if you ask.

So glad you asked.

For the last few years , we 've been getting a wheelchair for DH and I would push him about 75% of the time. Steep hills, he would walk, etc. But now my knee is start to bother me. Our next trip isn't for 8 months and I figure I'm not getting any younger. He first thought, "go without me" and that's not going to happen. He doesn't want to deal with scooters and buses.

Usually we try to stay at BLT and then at BWV or BCV. I told him we would rent a scooter for the week and only go to the parks close to resort, so pehaps using monorail but not buses ---of course assuming monorail doesn't break down----. For AK, he could use his rollator on the bus and then rent a scooter for the day . I was thinking perhaps we attach it to scooter somehow or at worst, I could push it around.

I had no idea they would hold onto a walker at the rental spot.

She’d be better off renting an ECV offsite. It is a lot cheaper ( about $20 a day depending on length of rental) and she would have it at the resort. It can be a long walk from the buses to the park. Scooterbug is the preferred Disney supplier now. You order it ahead and pick up at bell services. You can use other companies but you have to arrange to meet them for delivery and return.
The bus drivers are very good at loading scooters if you ask. Most will have you get off and they park it. On the skyliner they have a special place where they pull a car offline. It is stopped. You drive straight in and the CM puts blocks under the wheels. Getting off is easy. Just back up straight out.
You can’t reserve a scooter at the parks. At busy times they run out of scooters.
Ask the company how you can carry the walker. I think they have a rack. You may not need the walker in the parks since the scooter can go thru many lines. Some rides that the scooter is not allowed on the line will accommodate you by having you use the fast pass line(Star Tours) or by entering thru the exit (BigThunder Mountain).
Have a good trip.

I don’t know, but it makes sense for them to help since they know some including me are inept and might never get it right without help. Of course making sense does not make it happen.

EDIT I just did a chat with CM Dakota. He said the drivers are helping.

Last edited:
Well, I guess we know our options at this point then - thanks!
just to add to your things to think about but last I knew monorail at MK does not have an elevator. I would think very hard about how she would do walking down a ramp with her walker. also you or someone with her would not be able to rent park scooter and bring it to her outside the gate. and from what I have read skyliner has a pull out for scooters/wheelchairs other than Rivera so you have all the time you need at most.

EDIT I just did a chat with CM Dakota. He said the drivers are helping.

Please know that often Cast Members who handle phone/email/chat requests are *not* in the Parks - and some can be many states away, and have never set foot at WDW. Disney has a requirement that you be *knowledgeable* about the Parks & Resorts, but you could actually be hired without ever having stepped foot on a Disney property.

This can - and has - led to some well-intentioned CMs giving out what they thought was current or correct information, when in fact it wasn't. Normally, it isn't a big deal, but they tend to not understand why giving (possibly) incorrect information to a mobility-device user could/will have a negative impact on that Guest's trip.

As well-intentioned as it is, I always take any "advice" or information that I get from a non-Park CM with a HUGE grain of salt as a result.

Another option to think about as an off-site vendor is Gold Mobility. They have walker holders available as an option for their free accessory for your rental ECV. They have really good customer service. They will coordinate a time to meet you to drop off/pick up the ECV. Another plus is that they will show you how to use it and adjust any settings to the seat and tiller so you're more comfortable.

just to add to your things to think about but last I knew monorail at MK does not have an elevator. I would think very hard about how she would do walking down a ramp with her walker. also you or someone with her would not be able to rent park scooter and bring it to her outside the gate. and from what I have read skyliner has a pull out for scooters/wheelchairs other than Rivera so you have all the time you need at most.

Please be aware that the pull out for Skyliner is not always available. There are times that part of the system is not working, and you need to join the regular line. They will slow the vehicles down for you but you do have to get on while moving. I use a manual wheelchair and pretty much self propel. However, I have DH push me on the moving vehicle. I’m too nervous.

Please be aware that the pull out for Skyliner is not always available. There are times that part of the system is not working, and you need to join the regular line. They will slow the vehicles down for you but you do have to get on while moving. I use a manual wheelchair and pretty much self propel. However, I have DH push me on the moving vehicle. I’m too nervous.

Trying to get on the skyline while it's moving sounds a little scary to me. But I'm pretty good with my ECV, so hopefully I can manage, Just curious, anyone here done it successfully? If so, it would seem a little less scary.

Trying to get on the skyline while it's moving sounds a little scary to me. But I'm pretty good with my ECV, so hopefully I can manage, Just curious, anyone here done it successfully? If so, it would seem a little less scary.
I haven’t done it. I think there is a moving sidewalk entering the cars(like buzz light year). Also if you really mess up they will stop it. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

[OTE="barb969, post: 62283912, member: 306467"]
I haven’t done it. I think there is a moving sidewalk entering the cars(like buzz light year). Also if you really mess up they will stop it. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
[/QUOTE]

cast members will direct you to,an area where the actual gondola,car is stoppwd. You can take as much time as needed to drive the,scooter on. They put blocks behind the back wheels to secure the,scooter. When you disembark they remove the car to a stop area, remove blocks,and off youcgo.

When I was there in July for 10 days, the wheelchair area in multiple locations was not operating.

There is no moving sidewalk. The cars are moving. The CMs will slow them down. However, it is not an immediate slow down. Make sure you follow their directions and wait!

When I was there in July for 10 days, the wheelchair area in multiple locations was not operating.

There is no moving sidewalk. The cars are moving. The CMs will slow them down. However, it is not an immediate slow down. Make sure you follow their directions and wait!

The problem with many ECVs and the trying to board a moving Skyliner cabin is that most people won't be able to "hit" that center opening reliably. Those of us who are full-time users of mobility devices are more likely to be successful, however I would NOT recommend trying that particular maneuver for anyone who is either new to using a mobility device, or who does not use one in their regular daily routine. There are always other ways to get around Disney World; every Theme Park - (except Animal Kingdom which is bus only) have at least 2 ways to get there and back from the Resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter