How Universal saved our vacation...DAYS 1 & 2 & 3!

We drive from NC too, but it's I40 to I95 only.
Georgia is definitely the best part of 95. I love the salt marshes.
We drive right through Jacksonville every time. The first time we did the bypass, but it takes longer, so no more.
You must be closer to 95 in NC. We are north of Charlotte right by 77. The bypass (295) around Jacksonville is actually shorter distance wise than sticking on 95 (check google maps) and it typically has less traffic than 95...but thanks to Waze we go whichever way the disembodied voice says is best and has less traffic LOL!

How long does the drive down take you guys? Love meeting fellow North Carolinians!

We are in SW Durham. The trip takes around 9 1/2 though we've done it close to 9 a couple times and 10 a few times due to the slow-down area in southern SC or other traffic problems.

We are in SW Durham. The trip takes around 9 1/2 though we've done it close to 9 a couple times and 10 a few times due to the slow-down area in southern SC or other traffic problems.
I wish we could get out of NC without having to drive though Charlotte morning rush hour. The only way to avoid it is to leave on a weekend.

I like your trip report so far, but... first time I went to Orlando it was a road trip. While I enjoyed my time in Florida, the trip to and back to RDU was decidedly less so.

I decided when I got back the next time I went to Orlando I would fly down, and I had a much better time overall.

I like your trip report so far, but... first time I went to Orlando it was a road trip. While I enjoyed my time in Florida, the trip to and back to RDU was decidedly less so.

I decided when I got back the next time I went to Orlando I would fly down, and I had a much better time overall.

I have FOF (fear of flying) and only do it when I absolutely must. Its also so expensive compared to driving. Plus we like having our car while we're in Orlando. If we could score a cheap flight I might consider flying though!

I’m just getting caught up with this report. I grew up in Georgia and have lived in oth Carolina and Florida, so I am somewhat familiar with your journey.
I really hate flying (fear of heights) but will do it if I am motivated enough. We flew to Alaska last summer. It was my dream vacation. I even faced my fears and got on a helicopter for a brief ride. We usually drive to Florida, but will fly this year so we can be there in time for my birthday.

One week!

giphy.gif

Reactions: HM

I have FOF (fear of flying) and only do it when I absolutely must. Its also so expensive compared to driving. Plus we like having our car while we're in Orlando. If we could score a cheap flight I might consider flying though!

You said you're north of Charlotte, right? If you're closer to Concord Regional Airport than CLT, Allegiant Air flies out of there, and they have cheap flights to Orlando/Sanford (like $40 one-way if you plan ahead). And Frontier Airlines is another ULLC that flies to Orlando from CLT. If either is viable for your next trip, check it out. However, both ULLCs pretty much charge for EVERYTHING.

But I do get the FOF thing. When my family regularly flew to Houston to visit my late great-grandmother, I would occasionally get nervous upon takeoff. I felt a bit of deja vu when I flew down to Orlando in July, but I enjoyed it once the plane took off.

You said you're north of Charlotte, right? If you're closer to Concord Regional Airport than CLT, Allegiant Air flies out of there, and they have cheap flights to Orlando/Sanford (like $40 one-way if you plan ahead). And Frontier Airlines is another ULLC that flies to Orlando from CLT. If either is viable for your next trip, check it out. However, both ULLCs pretty much charge for EVERYTHING.

But I do get the FOF thing. When my family regularly flew to Houston to visit my late great-grandmother, I would occasionally get nervous upon takeoff. I felt a bit of deja vu when I flew down to Orlando in July, but I enjoyed it once the plane took off.
Thanks for the tip! I often keep an eye on some of the budget carriers for super low airfare...just in case someone was offering a fare so low I couldn't possibly refuse. When we go to visit my family back in NY we always fly. Even though it is literally the same distance door to door going to ny as it is to WDW, the drive to ny is 12+ hours thanks to awful traffic.

No problem!

Also keep in mind that the ULLCs only fly 2-3 times a week to specific routes. So if they get canceled or delayed, then it puts customers in a tight spot. I wish SWA had a similar presence in Charlotte as they do in Raleigh-Durham. Very customer friendly, and are generally cheaper thanks to their two free checked bags policy. They got me to Orlando on time and was even 10 minutes early coming back to RDU.

But as a general rule, unless you and your SO are willing to shell out $20/day to use UO's parking garage, leave your car at the hotel and take a Lynx bus to the park. They're very reliable.

Hey, its almost saturday so not much of a weekend left before you hit the road!

This will be your best trip ever.....

Hope your foot is improving and no issues walking

Busy night...

giphy.gif

In between trying to decide how many pairs of skinny jeans I need and whether I need to bring every one of my favorite shirts (I have 7, and spoiler alert: I do need them all) we spent the evening picking up a few last minute essentials. DH cut his hair, cleaned the house and finished up the laundry while I was working today. Tomorrow we have our farm chores to do and I have a few hours worth of lessons to teach, after which we will grab dinner and hit Publix for snacks for the road and some yummy breakfast pastries for the room before hitting the hay early....***snicker***....hay. See what I did there?

BTW, we have been so excited this year since Publix came to town! Anyone else love this place? Their deli is awesome as is their fried chicken. But for us, the best thing is their bakery. On previous vacations we would stop at Publix just before cruising into Orlando and pick up cinnamon rolls or crumb cake or their pecan-maple breakfast ring but now that we have one right in our own backyard we can shave a few minutes off the drive and go the day before! It's the little things that make us happy.

That picture is a hoot!
Still laughing at it

Caught the hay....

Horses
Hay

::yes::

How's the foot ?

Came back to add a Publix is being built two miles from our house but it is listed as an " organic" Publix store

That picture is a hoot!
Still laughing at it

Caught the hay....

Horses
Hay

::yes::

How's the foot ?

Came back to add a Publix is being built two miles from our house but it is listed as an " organic" Publix store

The foot is doing great! It is still tender to the touch, which is kinda rough since the 4-wheeler we use on the farm has a clutch on the left foot pad that requires you to stick your toes under it and lift up to change gear. Putting any pressure on the top of my foot still smarts something fierce! So driving our farm utility vehicle around has been tricky. But I can walk on it with no problem, and as long as I can keep the bull's eye off of it for the next 36 hours I think I'll be okay!

I'm not sure what an organic Publix is, but I knwo ours has an organic section that's pretty big. Oooh and an awesome cheese department LOL. Yep, a whole department of nothing but cheese! Ah, the joys of being an adult and being excited about the grocery store!

Publix is one of the things I miss about Florida. (I lived in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area for 6 years.) They have the best fried chicken and sub sandwiches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts