How will all of this affect Reflections?

It was announced yesterday on a popular WDW news site that some construction projects have been put on indefinite hold due to the need for TWDC to conserve cash in light of the recent closure. Prominently mentioned was the Star Wars hotel being on the "halt construction" list, while Ratatouille, Tron, and the Epcot central project would continue. Based upon how far along Reflections is, I feel confident to say that it's likely to be on the "halt construction" list.

It was announced yesterday on a popular WDW news site that some construction projects have been put on indefinite hold due to the need for TWDC to conserve cash in light of the recent closure. Prominently mentioned was the Star Wars hotel being on the "halt construction" list, while Ratatouille, Tron, and the Epcot central project would continue. Based upon how far along Reflections is, I feel confident to say that it's likely to be on the "halt construction" list.
Thanks, just read the article you alluded to, also kind of implies an answer to a question I asked in another thread about the Spaceship Earth refurb, which seems like it will get defunded.

If the star wars hotel is defunded then the reinfections hotel will be also. the DVC side represents too much in 3 to 5 year earnings to stop since the stock price will be in great part supported by projected future earnings.

reflections is also likely to attract a somewhat different buyer just like BLT and THV did during the last downturn

Thanks, just read the article you alluded to, also kind of implies an answer to a question I asked in another thread about the Spaceship Earth refurb, which seems like it will get defunded.
Honestly lol. I'm not sad if Spaceship Earth gets defunded right now. With all the other construction going on at Epcot, It really could wait. Plus I'm more of a believer that we need "More Rides" and not just refurbs to help with crowd levels.

Honestly lol. I'm not sad if Spaceship Earth gets defunded right now. With all the other construction going on at Epcot, It really could wait. Plus I'm more of a believer that we need "More Rides" and not just refurbs to help with crowd levels.
I hope they dont touch it! rides to need refurbs (space mountain going down basically every day isnt a good thing), but I dont want them redoing SE. Particularly since its likely to be projection ****. I like the story of how we have communicated thru time just fine. Not to mention, only SE and LWTL are the only 2 opening day attractions that are basically untouched in Futureworld

I hope they dont touch it! rides to need refurbs (space mountain going down basically every day isnt a good thing), but I dont want them redoing SE. Particularly since its likely to be projection ****. I like the story of how we have communicated thru time just fine. Not to mention, only SE and LWTL are the only 2 opening day attractions that are basically untouched in Futureworld
The Last thing I heard was the budget was cut on SE, that was why people started saying it was only going to be down 6 months to 1 year instead of 2 years. And in this cut it changed to a light refurb and some projection effects added instead of ripping out scenes and changing the ride track(which is why it was going to be down 2 years).

If Disney does not get to building a lot more of the "DVC-2" resorts, that might derail their hopes of more people buying direct in order to stay at all the resorts, you think? I could see resale being more attractive when there is only one resort they can't stay at.

I think reflections will be built but when and in what form is the question. We really have to see what the recession looks like after we come out of he other side of the Covid issue. Pop Century Legendary years set empty for nearly a decade before being converted to AoA.

I think Reflections will do way better in terms of desire to book verses the Star Wars resort. I personally think the SW resort will not do what Disney wants it to.

I think Reflections will do way better in terms of desire to book verses the Star Wars resort. I personally think the SW resort will not do what Disney wants it to.

Not anymore. The Star Wars hotel was the height of Disney's hubris. Hubris that kept getting built up when no matter how much prices went up, the crowds just kept getting bigger. Those days are gone for a while for sure.

Not anymore. The Star Wars hotel was the height of Disney's hubris. Hubris that kept getting built up when no matter how much prices went up, the crowds just kept getting bigger. Those days are gone for a while for sure.
You really think the SW hotel would have done that great if this virus hadn't hit? I guess it might have for a while, maybe until the new wore off? I could be wrong, I don't know. I know nothing about SW, lol. But I was just wary of how well it would do with the really high price tag that went with the experience. It was certainly a resort I would never have stayed at. I think Reflections could have a cult like following like the Poly. But I could be wrong there too.

You really think the SW hotel would have done that great if this virus hadn't hit? I guess it might have for a while, maybe until the new wore off? I could be wrong, I don't know. I know nothing about SW, lol. But I was just wary of how well it would do with the really high price tag that went with the experience. It was certainly a resort I would never have stayed at. I think Reflections could have a cult like following like the Poly. But I could be wrong there too.

Yeah sorry I was speaking clearly about the SW hotel. I was personally very excited about reflections. But I do think if the virus hadn't come along that the SW hotel would have been successful. It had very few rooms so I think there previously would have been enough interest to keep to booked.

Last edited:
If things had not gotten derailed I think The Halcyon (star wars hotel) would have made an absolute killing. Its small (60 rooms I think) there would have been a waitlist for that thing. Just my guess of course. Based on the article I read today reflections will be on hold for a while

If things had not gotten derailed I think The Halcyon (star wars hotel) would have made an absolute killing. Its small (60 rooms I think) there would have been a waitlist for that thing. Just my guess of course. Based on the article I read today reflections will be on hold for a while
Ok, I had no idea it was that small. That would make a difference.

DVC lives on having inventory to sell. Once things start to get back to normal and RIV starts to sell, where are they going to go when sold out? So yes, Reflections may have a new schedule for completion, but make no mistake that it will be built.

I looked back and DVD opened a new resort every 2 years last decade, on odd years.

Just my theory, nothing behind this, but I don't think the SW hotel was ever meant to be around for a long time. Again, my theory, but I think once the novelty wore off and they weren't able to keep it booked, it was going to be torn down for DHS expansion. As for me - I love Star Wars, but I don't think I'd ever stay there, certainly not at that price point, and it needs to be priced that way due to the size and the cost of running the "experience".

As for the near term, I think SW Hotel is a year off now and Reflections is at least 5 years, and will be more DVC than hotel. Reason being, I think DVC properties will come back strong when the parks re-open and will even be more difficult to book, while I think cash-stay resorts are going to struggle.

Just my theory, nothing behind this, but I don't think the SW hotel was ever meant to be around for a long time. Again, my theory, but I think once the novelty wore off and they weren't able to keep it booked, it was going to be torn down for DHS expansion. As for me - I love Star Wars, but I don't think I'd ever stay there, certainly not at that price point, and it needs to be priced that way due to the size and the cost of running the "experience".

As for the near term, I think SW Hotel is a year off now and Reflections is at least 5 years, and will be more DVC than hotel. Reason being, I think DVC properties will come back strong when the parks re-open and will even be more difficult to book, while I think cash-stay resorts are going to struggle.
That is what I was thinking too about the novelty of it. I never thought of it being torn downed though. I didn't realize just how small is was and I do think that will keep it booked solid for a while, but who knows?

Positive news: Yesterday (Apr. 3rd), Disney filed for a bunch of building permits for Reflections. The permit requests were for outdoor pool buildings, bus stop and covered walkway, transportation dock, security kiosk AND a table service restaurant (presumably the Princess and the Frog waterfront restaurant revealed at D23).

If Disney was planning to scrap this project or delay it for years, no way would they have applied for all of these permits. Why bother? Especially since permits granted would have an expiration date.

And the fact that they applied for certain permits (like the table service restaurant) suggests, to me, that they are NOT planning on slashing the offerings or drastically reducing the budget for this project. At least at this point. :)

If Disney was planning to scrap this project or delay it for years, no way would they have applied for all of these permits. Why bother? Especially since permits granted would have an expiration date.
Permits expire, but can be extended as well, they might have already had a contract with an engineering/architect firm to apply for the permits and paid them already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter