hows the month of August?

Joyfulsnuff

<font color=purple>Asks a lot of silly questions h
We usually visit in late September or early October but this year we have a family wedding in September and my in laws 50th wedding anniversary in October. So we are thinking we may have to go towards mid August, I know that there probably wont be much difference in the weather but I'm worried about crowds. What have your experiences been in August both good and bad, would you go at that time again? We could possibly go the week of Labor day if August doesnt get a lot of good votes. Thanks for your opinions!

We are going down the third week in Aug. We normally travel to WDW in late Oct/early Nov. It's my understanding that the crowds start to thin out from the second week on since so many schools are going back into session. From looking at last year's park hours, it seems that they start closing a little earlier from the third week on. If I had a choice, I would go the week after Labor Day. It is supposed to be really uncrowded then, but there is hurricane season to worry about. But, who knows. All you can do is make an informed decision and go with it.

We went down last year the last week in august. It's hot and rains off and on but the crowds were low. we're going back this year at the same time. I don't like to pull my kids out of school. I've heard the 1st 2 weeks in Aug are busier until some schools go back. We drank a lot of bottled water and brought misterfans with us and all was fine. :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

I went the last week in August. It was really hot. It was so hot that I broke down and bought one of those expensive mister bottles with the fan attached! The crowds were average. I plan to go in February next time.

We went last week in August last year first week in september. I read these posts and wonder if the peolple that had no crowds were at the same WDW as I was . I had reasoned the southern schools were already back so it would not be too bad, That theory did not seem to hold up. It was manageable but busy. not light by ant stretch towards Labor day the crowds built and built, The Magic Kingdom was gridlock on Labor Day. 65 minutes and up for everything, It was crazy. We our group of about 20 arrived at 9, By noon had only done Pirates and Jungle cruise. It was ugly. We had several adults in our group have mini break downs. We actually left and went back and sat in stormalong bay. Returned to the park about 7pm. and it was still 65 minutes at Things like snow white. We simply walked around at this point and shopped. We have now been 15 days in July for a wedding, Never aga in, August hopefully never again. It is so hot you need a shower directly after you have showered. Not enjoyable for us. We prefer the less crazy route, May, December. Good luck. If you can deal with the heat maybe you can deal with the extra crowd over Labor Day.

We have been the last two weeks in August. If you are prepared for the HEAT...plenty of water...taking air-condition breaks...mister fans(buy them at WAL MART before you go or when you get there) . The crowds were not too bad!!! My DH and I minded the heat more than my 3 DS's. I wiould go again at this time.

I will be there at the end of August also. I have mister fans from previous trips to Disney in June.

twinmom, I guess traveling with so many people can make it difficult. Did you all try to stay together and did you try for fastpasses?

I guess I am lucky because it will be just my dd10 and myself. We usually go with others but not this time. We like doing our own thing.

Schools around here start at the end of August but my town starts 2 days after Labor Day.

we were there 2 days preceding labor day until 3 days after in 2001. We got home on 9/10/2001, with no idea that we were among the last to experience travel and WDW in those light-filled pre-terror days.

the crowds on labor day saturday were horrific. ON sunday started to thin. The Tuesday and wednesday after were pure bliss--literally walk on anything. If you can take the school hit, would HIGHLY recommend the week after labor day.

Ebaynut31.........In response to your question do we fast pass? Yes, We have one sister in law, who is the crowd herder on that. As for not traveling with so many people? Thats funny to me, because we go every year, And the extended group is never going again so soon. Well, without fail and I am going on 12 years now.....As the trip gets closer we pick up stragglers. Our twins are 2 and when Auntie or Uncle finds out the kids are going to wdw, they want to go with them. This time we have picked up as extras, an aunt an uncle, a neice and a nana. And Have an Uncle and a nephew who say they may show up for the weekend. So I guess if I did not have a huge rowdy group at this stage of the game it may seem less of a family thing.

We've been twice in August, 8th-17th both times. I really liked August and would go at this time again. Weekends are still busy, especially MK, but during the week day the crowds aren't bad. We hit the park time change during the last part of our trip and even though the parks close earlier we could really tell a difference in the crowd size.

I'll say it even though it has been mentioned but prepare for the HEAT!! If you can handle the heat you can handle the rest. Start early, take a break, and go back after dinner. Try to alternate outside and inside attractions to get a break from the heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter