How's the weather this time of year?

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
We're going to be on Oahu in about two weeks and I know a lot can change in two weeks in terms of weather but I'm wondering in general how's the weather this time of year? I've been watching my weather app and it says that it'll be in the high 80's but it seems that for the next two weeks, it pretty much says that rain is expected everyday. I thought Sept/Oct was supposed to be low rain months coming off of August being the lowest. If it does rain, does it rain for like 15 minutes every day at the same time or so and then stop or does it rain for like 2 hours? Just curious to know so we can pack accordingly.

If it does rain (in normal circumstances) it is more like a quick shower over a few minutes. You get pretty used to it and we don’t even bother moving from out of the water / chairs. Ko a Olina tends to be a little more drier then Waikiki however there have been a few tropical storms lately so it could change.

Temps in September on our previous trips are pretty much like other months - beautiful and sunny, water warm to swim in. The great thing about Oahu is in can be raining in Waikiki but you drive 10-15mins and you will find a dry spot.

I was in Hawaii in December, which is smack in the middle of rainy season, and it wasn't bad. When it rained, it was light and short. We didn't pack anything special and we got lots of time at the beach and walking through town. I wouldn't worry about it.

One perk of a little light rain is there are SO many rainbows, and we even saw a moonbow!. Hawaii should be called the Rainbow State.

One perk of a little light rain is there are SO many rainbows, and we even saw a moonbow!. Hawaii should be called the Rainbow State.

??? - it is, isn’t it? That’s what’s on their number plates.

Keep in mind you're traveling during hurricane season so any weather is possible including wind/rain.

We spent 16 days in Hawaii two years ago this exact time of year. We had perfect weather for literally the whole trip - high 80s with lows somewhere in the 70s so still pretty warm at night. We found Maui in the Kaanapali area to be very windy and a touch cooler, Kauai in the Lihue area was very warm and humid, and Oahu in the Aulani and Waikiki areas was just about perfect. We experienced a quick shower while driving on the windward side, which is common over there, but it lasted no more than 10 minutes and it was clear the rest of the day. We would most definitely go this time of year again in the future.

Keep in mind you're traveling during hurricane season so any weather is possible including wind/rain.

I realize there have been a few storms and hurricanes trending towards Hawaii this season, but its very rare for Hawaii to be impacted by a hurricane. Even tropical storms. Its far less common than what Florida would see this time of year.

We spent 6 night on Kauai, 2 in Waikiki and 2 at Aulani a year ago for our honeymoon - the weather was absolutely perfect just about every day on both islands. A few showers here and there, but definitely no rain outs. And as previously mentioned, rainbows galore, especially on the Kauai north shore!

TS Olivia is schedule to arrive in Hawaiian Islands in a about a day with heavy rains.

-Paul

We will be there in about 2 and a half weeks too! Our first trip out was March of last year. I checked the weather days before we left and was immediately stressed. It called for rain every day. We got there and I actually don’t remember it raining at all. Fingers crossed for good weather!

Late August - October are the hottest, stickiest months out of the year and it's the peak of the hurricane season. Of course, it's all relative - if you're from the Florida you probably wouldn't bat an eye at the humidity levels. The heat index for Honolulu last week was in the high 90's and Aulani/Kapolei tends to be a bit hotter.

The valleys and windward sides of the Koolau mountains can see daily morning and afternoon showers, but this would not affect Aulani. The showers can blow down to the Waikiki area but it's not the type of rain you need to worry about or plan for.

The biggest weather issue facing Hawaii during these months is the seemingly constant threat of a hurricane/tropical storm. It seems like we've been dodging storms for the past 30 days. There was Hector, Lane, Norman, and now Olivia. It's been an endless cycle of prepping for a storm, watching the storm path, waiting to see if it's going to hit us, breathing a quick sigh of relief that it juuuuuust missed us, and then prepping for the next storm again. This storm season seems to be a little more active than normal but it's far from being the busiest I've seen. If I were planning a trip to Hawaii I'd be on pins and needles waiting to see if I needed to cancel or reschedule my vacation.

From a visitor's standpoint, I think it's a little misleading to say "Hurricanes rarely hit Hawaii so I'll take my chances." Even if the hurricane doesn't hit, your vacation can be impacted. Lots of local neighborhood stores and some attractions had decided on Wednesday to give their employees Thursday-Sunday off just in case the storm hit. It didn't even drizzle on Oahu yet it felt like the whole island was shut down! It was a loooooooong and boring weekend.

Yesterday and today we are docked off of Lahaina on Maui. On land the 86 degree weather felt HOT! Humidity yesterday was in 50’s today it days in 70’s.

No rain either days so far. It’s 9:35 AM HERE.

Late August - October are the hottest, stickiest months out of the year and it's the peak of the hurricane season. Of course, it's all relative - if you're from the Florida you probably wouldn't bat an eye at the humidity levels. The heat index for Honolulu last week was in the high 90's and Aulani/Kapolei tends to be a bit hotter.

The valleys and windward sides of the Koolau mountains can see daily morning and afternoon showers, but this would not affect Aulani. The showers can blow down to the Waikiki area but it's not the type of rain you need to worry about or plan for.

The biggest weather issue facing Hawaii during these months is the seemingly constant threat of a hurricane/tropical storm. It seems like we've been dodging storms for the past 30 days. There was Hector, Lane, Norman, and now Olivia. It's been an endless cycle of prepping for a storm, watching the storm path, waiting to see if it's going to hit us, breathing a quick sigh of relief that it juuuuuust missed us, and then prepping for the next storm again. This storm season seems to be a little more active than normal but it's far from being the busiest I've seen. If I were planning a trip to Hawaii I'd be on pins and needles waiting to see if I needed to cancel or reschedule my vacation.

From a visitor's standpoint, I think it's a little misleading to say "Hurricanes rarely hit Hawaii so I'll take my chances." Even if the hurricane doesn't hit, your vacation can be impacted. Lots of local neighborhood stores and some attractions had decided on Wednesday to give their employees Thursday-Sunday off just in case the storm hit. It didn't even drizzle on Oahu yet it felt like the whole island was shut down! It was a loooooooong and boring weekend.

I'll agree with this! We were at Aulani when Hurricane Lane was heading there. At the resort itself, the pool deck closed down by mid-day Thursday and didn't reopen until Saturday. Most places/businesses were also closed by noon Thursday and didn't reopen until later in the day Saturday if not Sunday!

Edit to add: this was our first trip to Hawaii at this time of year. Previously we have visited twice in March and weather was perfect, so I think we will stick to January-March for our Aulani visits!

Last edited:
Yesterday and today we are docked off of Lahaina on Maui. On land the 86 degree weather felt HOT! Humidity yesterday was in 50’s today it days in 70’s.

No rain either days so far. It’s 9:35 AM HERE.

I know since Olivia that Maui has had "Kona weather", which means the trade winds have died down. Kona weather is usually HOT, and can bring vog from the Big Island as well. Hope you are having/had a great time, Bobbiwoz! Aloha! :goodvibes

We are in Oahu right now. Did Pearl Harbor yesterday and it was in the 90s - not comfortable. It has been 80s ever since and not a lot of breeze. We walked about three miles today and it was uncomfortable. Might be 70 next week. No rain since we arrived on Tuesday.

Are you guys there now? How is it? We arrive Saturday!!! I’m ready to go already.
Haven't even been outside yet today since the NFL games are on here - started at 8 am. Time change is really an adjustment - I'm awake at 3:30 am every day - so don't plan anything but relaxing when you first get here. Sunshine again today with no signs of rain for awhile. Have not needed any kind of jacket/sweatshirt since we arrived last Tuesday, but might need one if out late at night. Moving back to a hotel on Waikiki Beach today since we did not rent a car and taxi rides are $100 one way to go to some attractions from where we are in Kapolei, which is near Aulani. Would assume that Aulani has shuttles. Hoping to use shuttle bus rides from the hotel in Waikiki.

Haven't even been outside yet today since the NFL games are on here - started at 8 am. Time change is really an adjustment - I'm awake at 3:30 am every day - so don't plan anything but relaxing when you first get here. Sunshine again today with no signs of rain for awhile. Have not needed any kind of jacket/sweatshirt since we arrived last Tuesday, but might need one if out late at night. Moving back to a hotel on Waikiki Beach today since we did not rent a car and taxi rides are $100 one way to go to some attractions from where we are in Kapolei, which is near Aulani. Would assume that Aulani has shuttles. Hoping to use shuttle bus rides from the hotel in Waikiki.
Yep! Without fail when we were there I’d wake at 3:30 am and just curse the clock. My husband and son didn’t seem to struggle like I did. We are bringing melatonin this time around. Just wait til you get back home and are set on Hawaii time. Hope you are enjoying it. Of all the trips we’ve taken Hawaii is my happy place and I’m so happy to go back. We had a car last time but it’s definitely worth having to see the island and have some delicious food. I hope you get to get out more. The island is truly beautiful and I love hitting the local places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!