Husband has never done Disney...

ItAllStartedWithAMouse

Earning My Ears
Okay my husband and I are going in November and he has never been to WDW - while I’ve been multiple times. What are some good ideas for fun things for us to do that wouldn’t be overwhelming for a first timer? We’re 23 and 24 and will be staying at BWV

And you married him anyway?!!! Just kidding. It really depends on what you might like to show him. You probably don't want to do parks dawn to closing - maybe take a more leisurely pace, and include some time for some good meals, maybe some pool time, etc. Since you'll be at BWV, maybe walk over and enjoy some goodies at F&W festival. QUALITY over QUANTITY is often a good rule for a newbie. Hope you have an awesome trip, that leads to many more!

A) Get hoppers
B) Spend evenings in MK after the stroller set leaves, I find MK tooo overwhelming.
C) Explore the world showcase

Sometimes the slower pace of a first visit is more enjoyable than the go-go-go do all the things trip

I would say take your time and not try to do everything. Hopefully he will like it and want to come back. As for activities, maybe do a park crawl where you have do one or two things in each park like a snack/drink or pose with Mickey, see the fireworks at MK, Pandora at night, get a drink at Galaxy Edge, browse F&W booths.

My husband wasn't very enthused to visit disney as an adult because of his experience as a kid. He remembered standing in lines and eating hotdogs and hamburgers. He fell in love with disney cocktails, both table service and signature restaurants, and the magic in the customer service that disney offers. Take him to to lounges if that is his thing, book nice restaurants, and make sure to get those headliners on fast pass. Disney is not just for kids, but the young at heart.

My husband wasn't very enthused to visit disney as an adult because of his experience as a kid. He remembered standing in lines and eating hotdogs and hamburgers. Disney is not just for kids, but the young at heart.

This was me to a "T". Our family went to Disneyland when we were kids and while it was fun for a bit, we quickly exhausted our ticket supply and then just walked around for the rest of the day. Even as kids we knew what that trip cost our parents and we sure weren't going to nag them to spend even more on more tickets.

Fast forward 40 years or so and DW and I had two teenagers who had never been to a theme park, when out of the blue my in-laws gave us all a trip to WDW for Christmas. I was less than enthused based on the one visit to DL. But I kept quiet and even considered skipping out on the trip but I was a good sport and went anyway. We had no idea about Fastpasses, no dining reservations, and no idea of what we were doing but we had a blast and all during the very busy spring break period. We weren't even off the ground on our way home before we were planning the next trip.

I'd say that the one thing that will make a trip a great one for a first-timer, is to plan it well. Have fast passes in place, plan your dining, use all the tricks you've learned for navigating busy parks and beyond that just let the trip unfold naturally. Give him some head space to decide what he enjoys there. You might be surprised.

My wife and I made many, many visits to the Boardwalk over many years, including our first visit together. In my opinion it is, for adults, one of the best locations on site. So you are already off to wonderful start for your husband's first visit. One warning, a "first visit" to the Boardwalk can turn into an addiction.

We quickly fell into a routine that was fun for us. We would rope drop a park in the morning. Go until we decided we needed a break or the crowds got too crazy, usually midday or early afternoon, then head back to the resort for a rest. After we were refreshed we would decide what we wanted to do in the evening. And that frequently meant just wandering over to the World Showcase. I heartily second @sponica suggestion of park hopper tickets. A must for an Epcot resort visit in my opinion.

We found the Boardwalk area is an excellent retreat from the craziness of the parks.

We just came back from an adults only trip and we really enjoyed our night at JellyRolls. When I took DH on his first trip 11 years ago, he was reluctant because he thought WDW was just for kids. So on our arrival night, we went to Tambu lounge at the Polynesian, ordered a couple of Lapu Lapus and watched the fireworks from the beach. He changed his mind pretty quick.

You may also want to try one of the behind the scenes tours. The KTTK is pricey but gives great background that may help him appreciate the details of the parks. Or the Epcot one is really good too - we did that on our first trip and DH loved it (my user picture is from that tour - they did it on segways back then). I haven't done the AK tours but have read great things

Take some time to relax in the hot tub and pool and Enjoy!

Unless he is a person that likes to be on the go constantly, take it at a slower pace. You'll want to show him everything and hit all the hot spots but that pace can be exhausting for us veterans much less someone new. Plan either a day to sleep in some or a day to do some off the beaten path activities ( like pool time, mini golf or bowling at Splitsville ).

Plan for downtime. Sitting in a lounge, sitting with a snack on a bench just watching the world go by, pool time, room/nap/TV time, resort hopping. We always do a few activities/attractions followed by rest time or time back at the resort. It makes you feel like you've been there for such a long time and done such a lot without feeling exhausted or hemmed in by people constantly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter