Hybrid owners please tell me all about them

Wonder05

Mouseketeer
hello!
I was wondering what you could tell me you like/hate about your hybrid. What models/makes and what you tow it with.

Really anything you want to tell me about them I'll listen :)

I really like that camping feel of a popup but man so we feel like we need those creature comforts like our own bathroom! Really don't want to try and run a three year old to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Thanks!

The only reason we did not consider a hybrid during our buying process was the canvas area of the hybrid. If it rains and that is wet, you have to pack it wet, then when you get home set it up again to let it dry out so it does not mold. We have seen many in the campgrounds, but was just not for us. Sorry I could not be more of a help. Best of luck with your search and enjoy your purchase once you find it.

My first camper was a hybrid. DS was 2 then. (He's 19 now). We towed it with an Explorer. No problems at all. I liked it because you had 4 hard sides, a bathroom and kitchen. Setup was much faster (and easier) than the popups we had rented the year prior. I especially liked that you could access the interior for packing, looking for things or going to the bathroom without having to open it up. Our dinette made into a bed that we could use without opening anything. It was completely usable during an overnight stop without opening up the ends. Twice I remember arriving to the campground in a down pour. We backed in and went inside the camper until it stopped. It was more comfortable, especially with a 2 year old, than staying in the truck.

Now the bad. The canvas ends don't do a good job of holding the interior temperature. A/C's can usually keep up if you are in the shade or it's not real hot/humid. Right after we bought it, we went to Camping on the Gulf in Destin. It was OK with the A/C, but that Fall we went to Talladega, AL in October for the races. It was unusually cold (40's at night) and the little furnace couldn't do much. The next Spring I traded it for a full TT. They do make insulated blankets for the canvas that I've read do a pretty good job with heat and cold, but I didn't know about them in 2000.

There are many days I wish I still had the little hybrid. It is much closer to "camping" than my 42 ft beast of a 5er that I have now with 2 A/Cs and nicer furniture than my house. It will go and fit anywhere and really lends itself to being "outdoors".

j

We had been seriously looking at the Jayco Hybrids especially because they seemed spacious and reminded me of the pop up campers from my teen years. The downside is we found out that FW and some other campgrounds will not let you leave a pet in a hybrid during the day as they could get loose or if they bark it would be much louder. Plus we found from asking lots of questions the end bunks don't stay very cool in the Florida heat without the extra reflective covers you purchase & attach. We've now moved our search on to the Micro Minnie Winnebago TTs which seem pretty nice for the price.

My first camper was a hybrid. DS was 2 then. (He's 19 now). We towed it with an Explorer. No problems at all. I liked it because you had 4 hard sides, a bathroom and kitchen. Setup was much faster (and easier) than the popups we had rented the year prior. I especially liked that you could access the interior for packing, looking for things or going to the bathroom without having to open it up. Our dinette made into a bed that we could use without opening anything. It was completely usable during an overnight stop without opening up the ends. Twice I remember arriving to the campground in a down pour. We backed in and went inside the camper until it stopped. It was more comfortable, especially with a 2 year old, than staying in the truck.

Now the bad. The canvas ends don't do a good job of holding the interior temperature. A/C's can usually keep up if you are in the shade or it's not real hot/humid. Right after we bought it, we went to Camping on the Gulf in Destin. It was OK with the A/C, but that Fall we went to Talladega, AL in October for the races. It was unusually cold (40's at night) and the little furnace couldn't do much. The next Spring I traded it for a full TT. They do make insulated blankets for the canvas that I've read do a pretty good job with heat and cold, but I didn't know about them in 2000.

There are many days I wish I still had the little hybrid. It is much closer to "camping" than my 42 ft beast of a 5er that I have now with 2 A/Cs and nicer furniture than my house. It will go and fit anywhere and really lends itself to being "outdoors".

j
Thanks for all the detail!!
Yes, those pop out sides pull me in cause that's what I think of when I hear "camping"
And the bathroom so Know absolutely must for us. I'm not going without it (when I was little we carried like a grown up toddler potty after the year when we trekked to the bathroom at 0'dark hundred.) And with three small children that's a no go. (Ages 5, 2 and 5 months currently)

Yeah, that's my concern the Wettness and chill or heat.
I'm tempted by the travel trailers as well but it just misses that good old days kind of feeling. Lol but I wouldn't want to go back to an actual tent like we did when I was a kid.

We are looking into getting a nice used vehicle to tow with and was thinking F-150 or Silverado , wasn't sure what else might be able to pull it.
Then someone drives out Sienna with the kids and sometimes my parents.

Thank you everyone!

We love our hybrid, and what was said above is true with the rain, but the trade off of pulling a smaller trailer and have more room because the beds are on the outside of the trailer is a plus. We have camped in Florida in 97 degree weather and the A/C was fine. We also use a tower fan to keep air flowing. We do have the solar covers for our bunks and use them when in full sun, they also help keep the bunk ends clean. Honestly the biggest annoyance is having to make/unmake the beds every time we pack up, also we have mattress toppers because they aren't the most comfortable. We don't use our furnace, to noisy, we use an electric heater and good sleeping bags when the weather is that cold. We have a three bed unit, Jayco X23F and it works well for our three kids and us. We tow with a 2013 GMC Yukon XL.

We love our hybrid, and what was said above is true with the rain, but the trade off of pulling a smaller trailer and have more room because the beds are on the outside of the trailer is a plus. We have camped in Florida in 97 degree weather and the A/C was fine. We also use a tower fan to keep air flowing. We do have the solar covers for our bunks and use them when in full sun, they also help keep the bunk ends clean. Honestly the biggest annoyance is having to make/unmake the beds every time we pack up, also we have mattress toppers because they aren't the most comfortable. We don't use our furnace, to noisy, we use an electric heater and good sleeping bags when the weather is that cold. We have a three bed unit, Jayco X23F and it works well for our three kids and us. We tow with a 2013 GMC Yukon XL.

Thanks!

Could you point me to the solar covers and mattress toppers?

What time of year did you go?
Summer I imagine could be a bit like sitting in a oven.

I was reading and noticed there were leak problems a few years back with these. Is that still true?

We had a pop up and now have a Rockwood roo 233s with a slide out and three bunk ends. we live in Florida and camp in the heat with a solar blanket on the top that we use plastic clips to put on the top as I don't like the he looks of pop up gizmos They really work great . We take our dog to the Fort and every campground we go too with no issues. you can always close the tent ends while you are gone for a while for the dog. If he barks alot. let me know if you have any questions.

We had a pop up and now have a Rockwood roo 233s with a slide out and three bunk ends. we live in Florida and camp in the heat with a solar blanket on the top that we use plastic clips to put on the top as I don't like the he looks of pop up gizmos They really work great . We take our dog to the Fort and every campground we go too with no issues. you can always close the tent ends while you are gone for a while for the dog. If he barks alot. let me know if you have any questions.

I would check again with the fort because I was given print out from their restrictions that pets can't be in hybrids even though folks have been doing it. You can be asked to board them if found out about or if there are issues with barking.

A hybrid is my dream camper. We met some people with a brand new Roo at the Fort that was taking it out for the first time and they gave us a tour - I was hooked. It's my popup on steroids with all the good and none (or the same ) of the bad.
I like that the "bedrooms" don't take up living space. I love that each bed is kind of private and that I can get 3 bedrooms. I love that you still feel you are sleeping outside and that there is a/c and a bathroom (I would eliminate a kitchen if I could)
What I don't like is that I don't feel the beds are supported enough and I feel they will sag (no experience or research to support this). I wish they had supports at the bottom but I can remedy that with PVC pipes.

Maybe someday. Good luck in your search and hope you find something you love at a great price!!

Hmm
A hybrid is my dream camper. We met some people with a brand new Roo at the Fort that was taking it out for the first time and they gave us a tour - I was hooked. It's my popup on steroids with all the good and none (or the same ) of the bad.
I like that the "bedrooms" don't take up living space. I love that each bed is kind of private and that I can get 3 bedrooms. I love that you still feel you are sleeping outside and that there is a/c and a bathroom (I would eliminate a kitchen if I could)
What I don't like is that I don't feel the beds are supported enough and I feel they will sag (no experience or research to support this). I wish they had supports at the bottom but I can remedy that with PVC pipes.

Maybe someday. Good luck in your search and hope you find something you love at a great price!!

Thanks so much everyone! I'll check out that pop gizmo site.

Hmm I wonder if there's a list somewhere of weight for each bunk. Anyone know of this?

I hear ya lol I'm not so sure I want food IN the camper. Don't want to invite pest!

I'd trade out a kitchen for a nice bathroom. Lol

The leak problems were with the seals on the front beds while towing in the rain, but I would believe these problems have been fixed by now with all the complaints there were, mine has never leaked.
We have camped in August in the 97 with 90% humidity and our A/C kept up fine. Like I said, using tower fans helps keep the air flowing and we never shut it off, I know some people do when they aren't in their trailer.
Weight limit on most is I believe 1000 lbs per bunk.
As said above, my kids love having their own rooms and they can close the curtains and have privacy. Also, I almost forgot, we have these bunk fans, https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Lighting/Optronics/RVFL51.html as well and they help immensely as well. Most campers have plugs by the tent ends that they plug into.

You definitively don't need poles, the bunk ends have more support than you think with cables. We started in a pop up as well and the hybrid ends are nothing like the PUP's. they don't move at all. Wasting time and money trying to add poles.

The leak problems were with the seals on the front beds while towing in the rain, but I would believe these problems have been fixed by now with all the complaints there were, mine has never leaked.
We have camped in August in the 97 with 90% humidity and our A/C kept up fine. Like I said, using tower fans helps keep the air flowing and we never shut it off, I know some people do when they aren't in their trailer.
Weight limit on most is I believe 1000 lbs per bunk.
As said above, my kids love having their own rooms and they can close the curtains and have privacy. Also, I almost forgot, we have these bunk fans, https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Lighting/Optronics/RVFL51.html as well and they help immensely as well. Most campers have plugs by the tent ends that they plug into.
Good to know!
Looking into possible used SUV that will fit us and our three kids and can tow something around or under 30ft
Looks like a Honda Pilot or Volvo or something might work.

Yeah , no way would we push it. We want to be Safe. I'm not about to put us at risk that would be pointless and awful!

Here are two SUV options that would fit us. I'm trying to figure this all out

2010 Volvo XC90
  • 3rd row headroom: 902mm (35.5")
  • Compression ratio: 10.80 to 1
  • Engine horsepower: 235hp @ 6,200RPM
  • Front headroom: 1,008mm (39.7")
  • Rear legroom: 879mm (34.6")
  • Exterior height: 1,783mm (70.2")
  • 3rd row hiproom: 1,130mm (44.5")
  • Exterior body width: 1,897mm (74.7")
  • Greenhouse Gas Score (GG): 3
  • Front legroom: 1,041mm (41.0")
  • Interior maximum cargo volume: 2,410 L (85 cu.ft.)
  • Exterior length: 4,808mm (189.3")
  • Engine torque: 236 lb.-ft. @ 3,200RPM
  • GVWR: 2,758kg (6,080lbs)
  • Front hiproom: 1,407mm (55.4")
  • 3rd row legroom: 765mm (30.1")
  • Payload: 549kg (1,210lbs)
  • Turning radius: 6.1m (20.0')
  • Passenger volume: 2,857L (100.9 cu.ft.)
  • Curb weight: 2,155kg (4,751lbs)
  • Front shoulder room: 1,481mm (58.3")
  • Wheelbase: 2,860mm (112.6")
  • Towing capacity: 2,250kg (4,960lbs)
  • Engine bore x stroke: 84.0mm x 96.0mm (3.31" x 3.78")
  • Rear hiproom: 1,374mm (54.1")
  • Rear headroom: 975mm (38.4")
  • Air Pollution Score (AP): 7
  • 3rd row shoulder room: 1,374mm (54.1")
  • Engine displacement: 3.2 L
  • Rear shoulder room: 1,458mm (57.4")
  • Interior cargo volume: 314 L (11 cu.ft.)

2004 Ford Expedition
  • 3rd row headroom: 970mm (38.2")
  • Compression ratio: 9.00 to 1
  • Engine horsepower: 260hp @ 4,500RPM
  • Rear legroom: 983mm (38.7")
  • Front headroom: 1,008mm (39.7")
  • Exterior height: 1,971mm (77.6")
  • 3rd row hiproom: 1,384mm (54.5")
  • Exterior body width: 1,999mm (78.7")
  • Front legroom: 1,046mm (41.2")
  • Interior maximum cargo volume: 3,129 L (110 cu.ft.)
  • Exterior length: 5,227mm (205.8")
  • Engine torque: 350 lb.-ft. @ 2,500RPM
  • GVWR: 3,130kg (6,900lbs)
  • Front hiproom: 1,600mm (63.0")
  • 3rd row legroom: 922mm (36.3")
  • Payload: 674kg (1,485lbs)
  • Turning radius: 5.9m (19.4')
  • Curb weight: 2,457kg (5,416lbs)
  • Front shoulder room: 1,610mm (63.4")
  • Wheelbase: 3,023mm (119.0")
  • Towing capacity: 4,060kg (8,950lbs)
  • Engine bore x stroke: 90.2mm x 105.8mm (3.55" x 4.17")
  • Rear hiproom: 1,585mm (62.4")
  • Rear headroom: 1,011mm (39.8")
  • 3rd row shoulder room: 1,527mm (60.1")
  • Engine displacement: 5.4 L
  • Rear shoulder room: 1,633mm (64.3")
  • Interior cargo volume: 583 L (21 cu.ft.)

2010 Honda Pilot

• 3rd row headroom: 980mm (38.6")
  • Compression ratio: 10.00 to 1
  • Engine horsepower: 244hp @ 5,600RPM
  • Front headroom: 1,003mm (39.5")
  • Rear legroom: 950mm (37.4")
  • Exterior height: 1,821mm (71.7")
  • 3rd row hiproom: 1,245mm (49.0")
  • Exterior body width: 1,969mm (77.5")
  • Front legroom: 1,052mm (41.4")
  • Interior maximum cargo volume: 2,481 L (88 cu.ft.)
  • Exterior length: 4,775mm (188.0")
  • Engine torque: 240 lb.-ft. @ 4,500RPM
  • GVWR: 2,700kg (5,952lbs)
  • Front hiproom: 1,461mm (57.5")
  • 3rd row legroom: 767mm (30.2")
  • Turning radius: 5.8m (19.0')
  • Passenger volume: 4,205L (148.5 cu.ft.)
  • Curb weight: 2,052kg (4,524lbs)
  • Front shoulder room: 1,565mm (61.6")
  • Wheelbase: 2,700mm (106.3")
  • Towing capacity: 2,041kg (4,500lbs)
  • Engine bore x stroke: 89.0mm x 93.0mm (3.50" x 3.66")
  • Rear hiproom: 1,438mm (56.6")
  • Rear headroom: 993mm (39.1")
  • 3rd row shoulder room: 1,516mm (59.7")
  • Engine displacement: 3.5 L
  • Rear shoulder room: 1,560mm (61.4")
  • Interior cargo volume: 450 L (16 cu.ft.)
Would it be the towing capacity or the GVWR I would need to know to figure if one of these would work Safely?
And it doesn't help that it seems most the trailers GVWR's are saying TBD?? How do you then figure it out?

Just make sure when you buy look for something that will tow the GVWR of the trailer you are interested in, not the dry weight. Mine is about 25 foot and GVWR is 5995#. My Yukon XL is rated to tow 8200#, and that is as much as I would tow with it. You also have to include all the people and stuff in truck toward the towing capacity. Personally, a Pilot will be pushed to capacity if not over with most hybrids. I would look at full size SUV's like Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban or Yukon XL depending on weight of trailer interested in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter