I actually don’t want to go solo!

MissMinnieJ

Earning My Ears
Is anyone interested in going to Disney around October or November? None of my friends love Disney like I do. I haven’t been since 2016, and I would love to go again...just not solo.

Alicefan

We're all mad here
I think you should give it a try. My one and only solo trip is probably the best trip to the World that I ever did! I thought I would be stuck in my own head with no one to talk to but you would be surprised at just how many people you have to chat with. I loved not having to ask to stop and smell the roses and it was such a nice change to just sit when you want to sit and go when you want to go. I would LOVE to do all of my trips solo if I could but someone always wants to go with me. You need to do at least one!

Paddy Pat

Earning My Ears
I have to agree with Alicefan. You should at least try one solo trip. I did one two years ago and was apprehensive doing it. Once I arrived, it turned out to be one of my most relaxing and enjoyable trips ever. I visit two or more times a year with family and friends. I have a solo trip planed for the first week of April this year. Can't wait. (if you can't pull the trigger to go solo. Keep in touch, I generally visit during that time period, October.

• OmegaxWk

Earning My Ears
    Hey! I'm trying to go sometime in October (possibly November?) and also looking for someone to go with. :)

I tried messaging you but it seems you haven't done 10 posts yet on here

dvcterry

DIS Veteran
    DVC Gold
    I did an unplanned solo trip the thought of going alone was the loneliest part. It would be nice to have someone to have fun with. I will say you will be busy. And you do get to do many, many things. I'm looking to go down October this year. I have never been down for F & W and this would be my first time. In the process of trying to "plan" my first real solo trip and not really quite ready to do it either, but in a few months I think I'll look back at my life and be glad I took that well-deserved first step in a direction. So October, F & W, Not So Scary get dressed up, maybe a marathon, and maybe I can meet up with you!

jsmla

DIS Veteran
    I was also kinda forced into my first solo trip. We’d booked a nonrefundable DVC room and, just before our trip, DH made the finals of a horse competition and dropped out on me. I REALLY didn’t want to go by myself but equally couldn’t stand the thought of losing all of that $$$. I’d been to WDW with my family many times but had never been anywhere wholly on my own before. I was very, very, very doubtful about the whole thing.

That was back in 1996 and I’ve probably taken dozens of solo Disney trips since then. I hate to say it but I think I actually prefer Disney on my own. (super introvert here)

Going to WDW solo has given me the confidence to travel to other places alone. DH still works and there are so many things (art, history, etc.) that I enjoy that he’d really rather skip, Disney being one. Since I began my solo Disney career I’ve been to DC, New York and even London all on my lonesome 😊

xcrashx15

Earning My Ears
    I took my first "sort of solo" trip when I went with my husband after we basically decided to separate, but we already paid for everything and couldn't agree on which one of us would buy out the other. That actually would have been better off as a solo trip!

A year later, I went with 2 groups of friends where there was a gap of ~24 hours between the first group leaving and the next group arriving. I was apprehensive about that gap and figured I'd basically hang around the BCVs (where we were staying). Of course, when the day arrived I couldn't resist going over to Epcot and HS. I went through the RnR in the single rider line, got some snacks, rode a few other rides, saw some shows and checked out the holiday festivities, and it was pretty much my favorite day of that trip.

A few months after that, in summer 2019, I had the opportunity to go down for a conference at Universal where I knew plenty of people, but when we weren't in sessions I went off to explore the parks by myself every day for almost a week. I went for another week in December with others who didn't have park passes - we met up at night but I spent the days hopping around. By then I was hooked and I recently took my first "officially solo" weekend, where I didn't even plan to go with anyone else. It was a blast! I ran in a runUniversal race one morning and there were plenty of other solo travelers that were down there for the race that were heading over to the Epcot festival afterwards. Somehow I also ran into 2 separate families that I knew from PA, but I mainly stuck to my own agenda since I wasn't there for very long.

Now I'm in the process of planning my next solo trip and I have a second trip with friends planned for December. Both types are great but I agree with the posters above - if you're like me and nervous about a solo trip at first, definitely check it out anyway. I was surprised with how much fun I had, especially since I've never had the freedom to explore WDW without catering to parents, kids, friends, etc. We all know it's hard to not have a great time there and I honestly don't think you'll regret giving it a shot!

• jbehr12

DIS Veteran
    Solo trips are fantastic and a great escape from ALL aspects of life, I went on my first last May and I have another coming in April. I want to try and go solo at least once a year now!

katherine52478

Mouseketeer
    I have a sort of solo trip going on. My mother and sisters are here but I was just here two weeks ago with my husband’s family so this is a bit of a bonus trip! They are all off in the park and I spent the day visiting resorts, taking photos, eating and drinking around the lounges and just enjoying the day. I’ll be doing that most days since I’m kind of parked out 😱

You can be as introverted or outgoing as you like! I talked to multiple groups at each location and even exchanged phone numbers with a fellow DIS member!

apxstitch

Mouseketeer
    I just got home from my 2nd solo trip to WDW and I absolutely love it! You get to do whatever you want, I hopped all over the place and went on attractions multiple time just because I enjoyed it. I went to 2 character meals, Storybook Dining and 1900 Park Fare breakfast and I had characters sit down at my table to chat with me. I had many lovely conversations with others on the bus, monorail and skyliner that made me feel like I wasn't always alone. I am an introvert and do love spending time by myself but I never had time to think about being there alone, I was too busy running to the next park or resort! My Husband and kids have no desire to go so for 20 years I wished and dreamed that I would have someone to go with and then one day I realized that I wanted this so bad that I was going to go by myself. Go, enjoy and live your life!

apxstitch

Mouseketeer
    I love it so much and have built up enough confidence to go to Disneyland next time solo. I can hardly wait I haven't been since 1982! Life is way too short, I plan on having as much fun as I possibly can!

• cobright

DIS Veteran
    I try to get there for a long weekend most months to visit with a Disney Friend and I'm pretty sure my wife and I will be there in October for an adults only trip. You'd be third wheeling it but we all like to think we're pretty fun.

And the people saying to try it solo really are offering their best advice, it is such a cool experience to spend a day in the parks just rolling solo. It's surreal. Personally, I need someone I can point out horrible people to (parents screaming at children, parents letting kids play in the dysentery fountains, line jumpers, mirrors, etc...)

artinlife

Mouseketeer
    Is anyone interested in going to Disney around October or November? None of my friends love Disney like I do. I haven’t been since 2016, and I would love to go again...just not solo.
    Get over it and just go. You will be amazed at how much fun it is. Have you heard of the phrase 'Every day do one thing that scares you'? Apply this to your trip as see how much fun you will have by yourself.

goofyintoronto

We the North! Lets go Raptors!
    Honestly try a short solo trip first, if anything. It doesnt have to be a long trip. 3-4 nights to start. Trust me, sometimes you'd be better off solo than being stuck with a weirdo you met on disboards. :laughing:

kwdw

DIS Veteran
    OP, ask yourself why you don't want to go solo, and really examine that. I have adult single friends who won't travel solo even though they long to travel. They lament not living that part of their life. But its not my place to change that. You have to decide it for yourself. I travel solo, as half of a couple, and with family groups. All three experiences are very different and I love all variations. If I didn't sometimes travel solo - I would be missing out in things in life I love. Taking that first solo trip is scary. But now I would miss my sometimes solo trips if that changed.

I get it that some folks just can't make the leap and travel solo. To each their own. Some folks try it once and can't do it again - its not for them.

I think on this board, though, you will find lots of folks encouraging you to not fear trying it.

StJude78

Earning My Ears
    Hello MissMinnieJ,

I have just started a similar thread. I am interested in finding someone to go with as well. Maybe we can chat?

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.