I am going slowly insane......

aussiegirls

DIS Veteran
.....trying to find accommodation in San Diego :eek: I wanna scream.

There is plenty of accommodation around, the problem is that I have no idea of anything to do with San Diego. I know nothing about the public transport (aside from the fact that they have a trolley thing, but I don't even know if that will take me where I want to go) I can't differentiate one area from another even whilst I am looking at a map.

I am thinking about the gaslamp quarter because it seems to be a hub of some sort, but I don't think there is anything around there aside from hotels and restaurants.

Preferably I would like a hotel that provides breakfast (although that is not a deal breaker, as none of the other places we are staying do breaky) and it would be preferable if it had a shuttle of some sort. Even one that could just take us to where the rest of the transport is.
:confused: :sick: :headache: :headache: :headache: :sad2: :scared:

What we want to do in San Diego is go to Sea World, go to the Carlsbad outlets, and just do plenty of sightseeing. Apparently they do tonnes of fun Christmassy things throughout out December. I think we may also do Legoland but I am not sure if I may just organise a tour from Anaheim to go there.

This San Diego planning is not turning out to be too much fun :sad2:

xxx

Public transport in San Diego is almost non-existent. There is the tourist trolley, which is how most tourists travel, and the tram along the waterfront. That's about it. I believe that there is a bus network; but I've never taken it so I can't say anything either way about the bus system.

The Gaslamp is full of restaurants and the bottom end (South end of Gaslamp) is close enough to Horton Plaza that you would have enough to do around there. If you find something that suits your budget and breakfast requirements, its as good a spot as any to stay.

It may almost be worth your while to stay near Legoland and hire a car and drive down. Old Town SD is touristy, as is Seaport Village. I like driving along Coronado and going towards La Jolla. My favourite part of SD is Balboa Park - particularly at the weekend or on a Tuesday (please google and check this information because it has been a few years since I've gone on a Tuesday). There are heaps of museums in Balboa and they rotate on Tuesdays for free entry, so there may well be 3 or 4 that you can go visit on a Tuesday without needing to pay entry.

Thanks Princess. I gathered that the public transport is almost non existent, but it's good to have you confirm it, at least I know I am not missing something.

Thanks for the extra info :flower3:

xxx

We stayed at the Omni in Gaslamp. They had some great deals when we travelled. The trolley stops directly behind the hotel, if you go out of the side door it is about 20metres away. The trolley takes you to the Old town, and some other transport hubs. We used the trolley to connect us with a bus to Sea World. Also, to get the park where the zoo is. Sorry, not sure about Lego land as we didn’t go there. Essentially we either walked or used the trolley to get everywhere. We didn’t really go in to the centre of town, not even sure what there is to do there!! The trolley also connects with the train to Anaheim.

You are right it is mostly restaurants and bars, there is a shopping centre that has a Macy’s and Nordstrom etc. too.

It is easy walking distance to the water where there is the US Midway, which the boys enjoyed. Also the ferry over to the Coronado.

There were some great restaurants in Gaslamp, we enjoyed the Spaghetti Factory. The kids loved Ghirardelli, even though we went to the San Francisco one. It was nice to wander around in the evening.

Aussiegirls,

When I am going to a city and lack any first or even second hand knowledge I usually go to tripadvisor website. It has a ton of information about hotels, transport and things to do. As well as reader reviews which are handy especially for hotels.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

We stayed at the Days Inn Seaworld and I would not recommend it. I chose it as we only had one night and were there to visit Seaworld. It was not a flash hotel by any means. The room was fine and the breakfast was good. However, the area was not nice. The hotel (motel really) spanned two blocks, we were in the second block so to get to reception we had to cross a street. That street and the parking lot behind our room were home to the homeless. There were lines of filthy, broken down trailers. It was dirty, smelly etc.

So I can't help with recommending anywhere to stay but I can certainly tell you not to go to the Days Inn Seaworld!

Thanks ehsmum. I think that it is just as (if not more) important to know where not to go as it is to know where to go :thumbsup2

xxx

Well, I think I may not be insane anymore. I think I may have settled on the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina. The reviews are mostly good, it looks lovely and the price is not too bad.

It's not right in the middle of anything so we will need to catch the trolley to go anywhere, but that's ok, I think it may even be slightly relaxing after having been in Hollywood and then Disneyland.

Thanks for your help guys :flower3:

xxx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter