I fear we aren't rabid enough fans for D23, yet......

Yes and no. Equal or larger contributors to crowds those days is Disneyland's Birthday (July 17) and return of Fantasmic! after a year and a half of being down. I suspect it will bump in crowds a bit.

:wizard:
Ahhh I forgot its DL's birthday, too! :/ Ok, do you think the crowds might be better that Sunday, July 16 - for DCA? And maybe DL Tuesday, and skip Monday? I generally avoid weekends if at all possible but....?? Unfortunately, those are our only options this time.

Ahhh I forgot its DL's birthday, too! :/ Ok, do you think the crowds might be better that Sunday, July 16 - for DCA? And maybe DL Tuesday, and skip Monday? I generally avoid weekends if at all possible but....?? Unfortunately, those are our only options this time.
My guess is Sunday the 16th would not be as crowded as Monday the 17th. But do not let crowds scare you too much. Even when crowded DL and DCA re fun - especially if you can do rope drop and have the ability to take afternoon breaks. Then come back in the evenings.

My guess is Sunday the 16th would not be as crowded as Monday the 17th. But do not let crowds scare you too much. Even when crowded DL and DCA re fun - especially if you can do rope drop and have the ability to take afternoon breaks. Then come back in the evenings.

Thanks so much, appreciate the input!!

I would not worry too much about increased crowds the next couple days. MOST attendees to the Expo are locals, so they are not in a huge rush to get to the parks immediately. And many APs are blocked. Even CMs are blocked to bringing in guests over that weekend and a few days after the Expo (from DL, not DCA).

Oops, forgot about the DL birthday on Monday. Maybe go to DCA that day (after picking up a possible free BD button at DL, they like buttons out there)

I would not worry too much about increased crowds the next couple days. MOST attendees to the Expo are locals, so they are not in a huge rush to get to the parks immediately. And many APs are blocked. Even CMs are blocked to bringing in guests over that weekend and a few days after the Expo (from DL, not DCA).

Oops, forgot about the DL birthday on Monday. Maybe go to DCA that day (after picking up a possible free BD button at DL, they like buttons out there)
Thank you so much! Sounds good! I already tried to change our hotel ressies & they weren't available, so we'll go with our original plan.

I wondered if there's any news about special BD activities at DL that day? I've been off the boards for awhile & need to catch up! LOL Any news on specific people / celebs coming in to help celebrate the big day?

I would say that the days after the Expo will be a bit tricky with Fantasmic returning the day immediately after, many bloggers will be in the parks trying to be the first to get coverage of the new scenes as well as passionate passholders that want to get in on the action as well. I would go as far to say that that side of the park will basically be gridlocked in the evenings between people trying to be the first to their sections and people trying to get to the rides(none of which close for Fantasmic, including Pirates which has seen increased crowds recently).

I would say that the days after the Expo will be a bit tricky with Fantasmic returning the day immediately after, many bloggers will be in the parks trying to be the first to get coverage of the new scenes as well as passionate passholders that want to get in on the action as well. I would go as far to say that that side of the park will basically be gridlocked in the evenings between people trying to be the first to their sections and people trying to get to the rides(none of which close for Fantasmic, including Pirates which has seen increased crowds recently).
Ahh... ok, thanks. So how do you think crowds will be that day (Monday) in DCA? If we stayed there all day...?

My guess is that DCA would be fine, will perhaps absorb some DL over flow but should be tolerable. Again, my guess. I would stay over there all day, but it's a short walk form one to the other, so you could just see how it goes. You do not have to commit 60 days in advance at DL. :)

My guess is that DCA would be fine, will perhaps absorb some DL over flow but should be tolerable. Again, my guess. I would stay over there all day, but it's a short walk form one to the other, so you could just see how it goes. You do not have to commit 60 days in advance at DL. :)
I agree, but also note that Mondays are EMH days at DCA. That will influence the morning lines (i.e., they will be longer).

If you are there at rope drop, and have parkhoppers, it makes most sense to start Monday at DL (and hop top DCA late morning), and vice versa on Tuesday when DL has EMH/MM.

Last year we went, and we treated it like any other con. Got there at about 11 after the entrance rush, walked right in, no line. We walked around, looked at the merch, took a bunch of cool pictures, had a great time.

Do it however you want to do it! I'm sure you will have a great time. I'm the same as @OhioStateBuckeye. I overplan because that's who I am as a person.

One thing I'll suggest, at least basing on last time. The line to even get in takes hours. That is always what people complain about. So either get there a few hours before opening or a few hours after opening. Last year on the first day my friend lined up at 7am and didn't get inside until 11am.

Last year we went, and we treated it like any other con. Got there at about 11 after the entrance rush, walked right in, no line. We walked around, looked at the merch, took a bunch of cool pictures, had a great time.

This is pretty great advice right here. Mine is just to manage your expectations and figure out if there is anything that is a must-do for you. Anything else is gravy. I have walked into some things at the last minute, or switched to something else because I couldn't get into my first pick, and had a great time. If there is nothing you really want to go to and you don't want to stand in any lines, definitely get there late.

Also, for the record, I have never lined up overnight for anything and I've seen plenty. If you don't need to go to one of the big hall presentations and you don't want a limited edition item, it's not at all necessary.

Are Disneyana collectors the ones who line up for the merchandise hours ahead of time? I imagine so.
I just want to see the stuff, not a collector. What is the high demand? Guess I don't get why the wait unless it's so exclusive and special. I've seen the posts of the limited edition items, but there must be a lot more than that.

Are Disneyana collectors the ones who line up for the merchandise hours ahead of time? I imagine so.
I just want to see the stuff, not a collector. What is the high demand? Guess I don't get why the wait unless it's so exclusive and special. I've seen the posts of the limited edition items, but there must be a lot more than that.
Why do people want the limited edition merch? eBay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!