• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I feel like I am not prepping enough

clarabelle

<font color=green>Pandas don't seem to have much o
I usually spend a lot of time planning WDW vacations.
I have spent very little time getting ready for Ireland.
I have passports and luggage.
Thats about it.
I keep telling myself that I am paying for someone else to do the hard work.
So ...
What did you do to get ready? Is there something you wish you had done beforehand?
For those of you that did international ABDs did you get currency before you left? Or just use an ATM when you got there?
Thanks!!!

I feel the exact same way! I bought a book on Italy so I could learn about places to go on our "on your own" time, but that is it. Maybe it's because my kids are in school until one week before we leave, and there is so much going on with that, I really can't take too much time "prepping". I guess it'll all come together, but I'm really worried - I've never been overseas before and I am afraid I'll screw up our trip by not being prepared! :confused3

If you have time, buy a book about your destination. If you don't want to wade through the book store, I'm sure you can find tourist websites for where you are going. It's good to know a little background and history, but not necessary. I usually check out every hotel and site that Disney is taking us. I like to know what to expect. Also, good to know if there is a pool to bring bathing suits. For money, you don't need to get money before hand. Get money from an ATM when you arrive, that will be your best exchange rate. Call your bank and let then know where you will be. Also call your credit card company and tell them. If you plan on using your phone, check with your cell phone carrier about charges. The 3G phones will pick up data right away when you turn them on, so turn off that function to avoid those charges. Have a great time. Disney will take care of everything else.

Just a few--others may weigh in with more, even better tips!
1. Money: I get travelers checks in advance (US) to use for the guide tips at the end of the trip--I feel better carrying those around than cash. I use the tip info provided in the booklet ABD provides, and usually get more than the max to have additional "emergency" money. Otherwise, I get enough of the local currency to use at airports, and for small items--and for additional cash use ATM machines (although with fees, try to only use it once if you can). Best to use credit cards whenever you can.
2. On one trip I ran out of socks--don't know how that happened! Took time away from touring around Venice looking for a store that sold socks; found one and paid far too much. After that, we found shirts/shorts/underware that was lightweight and could be washed in the sink and worn again if needed.
3. Converters/adapters: if you are bringing any items with rechargeable batteries, be sure to bring the charger and an adapter! (Or plenty of extra batteries if not rechargeable). Our our first trip with Disney we were in Rome for an extra day before the trip was to start, and while sightseeing the humidity did something to my camera. Yikes!! I ended up buying a camera at the Rome train station (a large electronics shop is there)--and how have a european charger that I have to use a US adaptor plug with at home to charge the camera battery. But you have to have a camera! (On that note--I now bring an extra camera card, extra batteries, and a backup disposable camera just in case--and the Disney guides take great photos which you will be able to access on-line after you are home from the trip; we used these photos to make an album which I really really like).
4. Most important of all: you are paying the big bucks for ABD because they take care of you from start to finish. If there is something missing or amiss, just ask one of your guides! So the biggest tip of all: relax and enjoy the ride, and the sights for an adventure of a lifetime!

I did a lot of prep for first ABD, since I'm like you, clarabelle, with the obsessive WDW planning. I did research on the history of the country, on what we should see, on what we should eat, on what we should bring.

This time, I haven't done a thing to prep. The guides took care of every single detail and I am looking forward to letting them do it again. They told us all about the history and the culture. They made sure we saw all the important stuff, and many little extras. They provided great food, and great suggestions for meals on our own. They carried alll the stuff we needed, like sunscreen and purell and drinks and snacks. They stopped at ATMs and asked if we needed to use them.

It's nice to have trips that you plan for, but also nice to relax a little!

Having said all that, I agree with pp about getting your cameras/chargers/batteries squared away. (We found eneloop brand rechargeables last year and they are awesome. They hold a charge for a really long time.) In fact, the only guide books we've bought this time are photography ones. We want to take even better pictures this time!

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

I hadn't even thought about an extra memory card
I will check out the eneloop

I usually spend a lot of time planning WDW vacations.
I have spent very little time getting ready for Ireland.
I have passports and luggage.
Thats about it.
I keep telling myself that I am paying for someone else to do the hard work.
So ...
What did you do to get ready? Is there something you wish you had done beforehand?
For those of you that did international ABDs did you get currency before you left? Or just use an ATM when you got there?
Thanks!!!

I know what you mean. I normally plan every detail for a WDW trip or a DCL cruise. But for our Viva Italia trip in the fall I planned very little. I bought a couple books on Rome and Venice and barely cracked them open. To be honest, our days were so planned out most the time that just kicking back and relaxing during free time was all I really wanted to do. The guides give you great ideas for meals and other places to see. So very little planning is really needed. Some of my fondest memories are just wandering around the city and exploring new restaurants and shops.

For the ABD trip to China I exchanged as soon as I got to the baggage claim in Beijing. For the trip to Ireland in August I am exchanging dollar for euro in advance. The exchange rate is not too bad right now so I want to take advantage of it.

I felt the same way before our trip to Italy with ABD last summer - except for making sure we all had books to read on the plane, and our passports, I didn't do very much. And Disney came through for me - they definitely did all the hard work and lots more to make the trip relaxing, easy, and a ton of fun. It's a really beautiful thing when you can just enjoy the trip and your family and not have to worry about organizing everyone's life (like I often do at home). Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter