I had a stroke!

LovableGluttons

See Ya REAL Soon!
Hi! I'm Nicole, a now 45 years old wife, Mom, registered nurse, who lost use of her left side on Dec 15, 2011 after being hospitalized earlier in the month for encephalitis of unknown cause. Everything I was tested for to determine the culprit came out negative.My blood pressure is low normal, my blood sugars are normal, my heart and neck vessels are normal, and my cholesterol is a whopping 106. I am putting this out here to warn everyone that it can happen even without normal risk.As a nurse, I can appreciate that I did not get tPa to clear the clot off my brain stem since I did not know the exact time of the stroke that felled me while I was asleep. I, of course, spent the holidays in the hospital, and am in vigorous Physical and Occupational Therapy to try to restore more strength and function to my life. I am not searching for sympathy, but for ideas! I can walk, talk, protect my own airway, no longer use a wheelchair, but I am defiitely different than I was for the first 44 years of my life. My husband and I loved weekends at WDW, the kids feel they have grow3n out of it. My sister in law is two years younger, but also had a stroke in October, so we have each other to rally through this.

I know this is terrifying to hear, but I wanted to be upfront and honest. At the hospital I was treated at, they had an 8 year old with a stroke in Septmber, as well as a 16 year old the year before.

Anyone here with a similar problem?

Also, anyone have any tips on communities or websites devoted to younger people with strokes? Most of the info I unearth, i not targeted to middle age
9ouch), but older populations.

Thanks!!

Hi Nicole,
I am sorry to hear about your stroke and wish you all the best in your recovery.:hug:

Thanks for the warning, stroke is something we often attribute to the elderly and we forget that potentially we are all at risk. I went through school with a girl that had had a stroke at 4 and it always seemed shocking to me that someone so young could actually have a stroke.

I haven't been in your situation personally but imagine it must be incredibly difficult and frustrating. I hope someone who can help you will be along soon.:hug:

Quasar

Hi Nicole,
I am sorry to hear about your stroke and wish you all the best in your recovery.:hug:

Thanks for the warning, stroke is something we often attribute to the elderly and we forget that potentially we are all at risk. I went through school with a girl that had had a stroke at 4 and it always seemed shocking to me that someone so young could actually have a stroke.

I haven't been in your situation personally but imagine it must be incredibly difficult and frustrating. I hope someone who can help you will be along soon.:hug:

Quasar

Thanks Quasar!! Most of my nursing career was spent in NICU (neonates not Neuro) so I interacted very little with stroke patients. I have almost NO experience with them! In the NICU, babies with strokes (called bleeds) usually were diagnosed with cerebal palsy when older, but not with the deficiencies I have. The extreme fatigue and emotional changes are my biggest hurdles right now. I can't seem tp build stamina!! IT's been three months already. I have no patience and am used to lightening speed recoveries from everything else in my life.

I need to start a support group, but need to talk to my neurologist first. I see him on Friday, so I will wait until then.

Wow, that's scary!! Thank you for the heads up, and I'm so glad you seem to be on the road to a fully functioning recovery. I wish I had tips or sites to point you to, but I don't....just wanted to wish you well and and continued hope for a successful recovery!!

Wow, that's scary!! Thank you for the heads up, and I'm so glad you seem to be on the road to a fully functioning recovery. I wish I had tips or sites to point you to, but I don't....just wanted to wish you well and and continued hope for a successful recovery!!

Thanks HeLuvsMe, it my goal to eradicate all physical signs of the stroke!!!:cheer2:

Thanks HeLuvsMe, it my goal to eradicate all physical signs of the stroke!!!:cheer2:

Good luck with your goal and I think a support group for younger people sounds like a great idea.

My mum had a stroke about 25 years ago and she made a full recovery. At 85 she is still playing tennis and dashing around with friends and family.

Keeping you in my thoughts as work towards your goal:grouphug:

Quasr

Good luck with your goal and I think a support group for younger people sounds like a great idea.

My mum had a stroke about 25 years ago and she made a full recovery. At 85 she is still playing tennis and dashing around with friends and family.

Keeping you in my thoughts as work towards your goal:grouphug:

Quasr

Thanks for the update on your Mom, Quasar!

I went swimming today for the first time post stroke and sunk like a stone. It was terrifying! My left side was all but useless. I need to work on that a lot. I'll let my physical therapist know tomorrow.

Hi! I'm Nicole, a now 45 years old wife, Mom, registered nurse, who lost use of her left side on Dec 15, 2011 after being hospitalized earlier in the month for encephalitis of unknown cause. Everything I was tested for to determine the culprit came out negative.My blood pressure is low normal, my blood sugars are normal, my heart and neck vessels are normal, and my cholesterol is a whopping 106. I am putting this out here to warn everyone that it can happen even without normal risk.As a nurse, I can appreciate that I did not get tPa to clear the clot off my brain stem since I did not know the exact time of the stroke that felled me while I was asleep. I, of course, spent the holidays in the hospital, and am in vigorous Physical and Occupational Therapy to try to restore more strength and function to my life. I am not searching for sympathy, but for ideas! I can walk, talk, protect my own airway, no longer use a wheelchair, but I am defiitely different than I was for the first 44 years of my life. My husband and I loved weekends at WDW, the kids feel they have grow3n out of it. My sister in law is two years younger, but also had a stroke in October, so we have each other to rally through this.

I know this is terrifying to hear, but I wanted to be upfront and honest. At the hospital I was treated at, they had an 8 year old with a stroke in Septmber, as well as a 16 year old the year before.

Anyone here with a similar problem?
I had a full blown stroke at age 44 with no apparent cause either. After the initial round of diagnostic testing with no definitive results my doctors (in NH) sent my blood off to the Mayo Clinic. They identified Factor V Leiden as the culprit. It was a newly identified genetic blood disorder at the time (late 90's) but lots more info on it now out there. Check it out - I was told I had been lucky - I could have had a stroke any time since birth on.

Best wishes to you..hang in their with your physical therapy, it can help tremendously. Hugs..

Thank you for posting this. People need to be aware that it can happen at any age!
My mom died of a stroke at the age of 41. I am 36 now and sometime worry about it, knowing that it can happen with no warning signs or previous health issues. It makes me appreciate each day I spend with my daughter.
I am glad you seem to feel ok and have made progress. How is therapy going?

Just wanted to wish all wellness and speedy recovery who are on this thread. I know all to well the danger of stroke. I personally have recovered from two minor strokes the first in 04 and the second thirteen months later in 05. Lucky for me very very minor, but with residual memory problems. Mine were both from clots. Unfortunately my dear husband suffered a stroke a year ago while at work, his was a bleed and for all intents and purposses he was gone before he hit the ground, he was only 58 yrs old. He did not drink, smoke, do drugs. No way to know what caused his stroke. Four days later he was gone from us as his strong heart finally gave out.

The doctors themselves were shocked that this should happen to so young a man with no history that would have led to such a thing. In the end I am just grateful for 38 wonderful years of marriage.

Stroke is indeed a very mysterious thing and seems to not pay heed to age at all.

I had a stroke at 20, I made a full recovery. 20 years and nothing then all of a sudden, multiple DVT's. They think I also have Factor V. I am 44 and on blood thinners for life, but I consider this a blessing. I was very lucky to have to had made a complete recovery 20 years ago and to have avoided a stoke this go around!

Hi everyone! I just "graduated" from physical therapy, but still have a few more sessions of occupational therapy left. My neurologist says I have polycythemia of unknown cause, which likely caused my stroke, but a freaky stroke of bad luck anyway (pun intended). So, I have only a remote chance of having another one. Whew!

Just wanted to wish all wellness and speedy recovery who are on this thread. I know all to well the danger of stroke. I personally have recovered from two minor strokes the first in 04 and the second thirteen months later in 05. Lucky for me very very minor, but with residual memory problems. Mine were both from clots. Unfortunately my dear husband suffered a stroke a year ago while at work, his was a bleed and for all intents and purposses he was gone before he hit the ground, he was only 58 yrs old. He did not drink, smoke, do drugs. No way to know what caused his stroke. Four days later he was gone from us as his strong heart finally gave out.

The doctors themselves were shocked that this should happen to so young a man with no history that would have led to such a thing. In the end I am just grateful for 38 wonderful years of marriage.

Stroke is indeed a very mysterious thing and seems to not pay heed to age at all.

How awful!! I am so sorry!:grouphug:

OMG that's terrible!!

it's one of the things I do worry about. Since I am otherwise so healthy, it would also take a long time for my body to give out once I'm incapacitated. Scary!

I do wonder if another one is waiting for me out there.....:sick:

OMG that's terrible!!

it's one of the things I do worry about. Since I am otherwise so healthy, it would also take a long time for my body to give out once I'm incapacitated. Scary!

I do wonder if another one is waiting for me out there.....:sick:

I start back to school in August and even found a nursing position that's only a few hours per shift, one or two days a week.

My neurologist said he was expecting to help me get SSDi. Me? No!!!

OP isn't the only one who had a stroke at a young age.

I had a stroke at 44. Cerebellar stroke - could have killed me. Should be in a wheelchair, but I'm stubborn, and use cane now. Speak like I'm drunk.

Youngest was 16, but already taking CNA class.

Met someone at rehab who was 30, and had stroke while in labor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter