I have never .......... ?

:upsidedow Ha, the fact that we almost never see them here probably makes us the weird ones. Don't make it sound like it's a problem with the States. I recently visited 4 different EU countries; the conspicuous presence of police officers and heavily armed militia is everywhere - everywhere. The airports, the iconic tourist hotspots, the train stations, at the beach and even in grocery stores, for Pete's sake. We take our peace and security very much for granted here. :rolleyes1

It makes sense that the EU would have security and police everywhere given their recent troubles. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that they aren't walking around with their guns in their hands. That would just be so unsettling to see.

I like the fact that I can take my peace and security for granted, to be honest. I don't have my head in the sand, I know that something could happen here (my city), but, chances are that it won't. I don't give it a thought in my day to day life. Again, I don't pretend that it couldn't happen, I just don't spend time scanning the crowd for anything suspicious when I go out.

It makes sense that the EU would have security and police everywhere given their recent troubles. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that they aren't walking around with their guns in their hands. That would just be so unsettling to see.

I like the fact that I can take my peace and security for granted, to be honest. I don't have my head in the sand, I know that something could happen here (my city), but, chances are that it won't. I don't give it a thought in my day to day life. Again, I don't pretend that it couldn't happen, I just don't spend time scanning the crowd for anything suspicious when I go out.
Maybe at first. We witnessed them in various stages of "alert" and TBH, it fades into the background really quickly. We were actually evacuated from the Eiffel Tower due to a security threat and the people that worked there (including the guards and military personnel) were just like "yawn...this again".

I don't consider seeing a gun handle the same thing as actually seeing a gun, I think that's what the original poster was getting at too.

In widely circulated pictures, a hunter is holding up the severed tail of an elephant. You aren't seeing an elephant..just the tail. It's an awkward analogy but it makes the point.

Ah. Well, I would say if you've seen the grip, you've "seen" one. That is, assuming the grip is still attached to the gun :)

I've never sky dived or ridden in a hot air balloon or parasailed. Yes, there is a trend here. I have flown but very reluctantly.
Me neither. I'm too big a chicken. I almost went parasailing with my dd on a Disney cruise, but it got cancelled at the last minute due to high wind. I was secretly happy that it was cancelled. Only reason I was going to do it to begin with was because she wanted to.
ETA: I have flown many times, but it makes me nervous.

No, but I figure there's a tree nearby.

Of course, as anyone should. The point I'm trying to make is just because you see a small part of something, doesn't mean you're seeing the whole thing.

Uh no. But, if I see one still connected to a tree I do ;)

This is just going around in circles. If the cop has a gun in his hands, yes, you're seeing a gun. If it's holstered you aren't seeing a gun, you're seeing a gun handle (totally wrong word, I know). You can assume the handle is attached to a gun, but you're still only seeing a part of it.

Yes, I know it's all semantics..

This is just going around in circles. If the cop has a gun in his hands, yes, you're seeing a gun. If it's holstered you aren't seeing a gun, you're seeing a gun handle (totally wrong word, I know). You can assume the handle is attached to a gun, but you're still only seeing a part of it.

Yes, I know it's all semantics..

If you see the roof of a house from an airplane directly overhead, are you really seeing a house or simply seeing a floating roof?

If you see a gun inside a holster, you see a gun. Just like a roof is a part of a house, the handle is a part of a gun.

If you see the roof of a house from an airplane directly overhead, are you really seeing a house or simply seeing a floating roof?

If you see a gun inside a holster, you see a gun. Just like a roof is a part of a house, the handle is a part of a gun.

Ok, guess we still want to talk semantics.

If you see a roof from a plane, you are seeing the roof, not the whole house. You, obviously, would assume there's a house under the roof, but you don't know how many floors, doors, windows there are until you see the actual house.

If you ordered a fridge and the delivery people showed up with only a door would you say, yep..there's my fridge. I'm guessing no.

If you see a roof from a plane, you are seeing the roof, not the whole house. You, obviously, would assume there's a house under the roof, but you don't know how many floors, doors, windows there are until you see the actual house.

If you ordered a fridge and the delivery people showed up with only a door would you say, yep..there's my fridge. I'm guessing no.

Why would a delivery person show up with just a door to a fridge?

That example doesn't really work, anyway. The gun handle/grip is actually attached to the gun. You can see the gun in it's holster. If you can recognize that some sort of metal object that sticks out of a funny-looking pocket on someone's hip is a gun, you've seen a gun. You are seeing part of the anatomy of the gun.

Why would a delivery person show up with just a door to a fridge?

That example doesn't really work, anyway. The gun handle/grip is actually attached to the gun. You can see the gun in it's holster. If you can recognize that some sort of metal object that sticks out of a funny-looking pocket on someone's hip is a gun, you've seen a gun. You are seeing part of the anatomy of the gun.

I don't know why you're so insistent on this? I don't care that much so have a good night :)

Okay, now that's 3 examples you've given where the "part" is not attached to the whole. We all agree if the part is all there IS, then all you're seeing is "a part". But, that doesn't apply to a fully assembled item.

If I only see the door of a fridge in someone's kitchen, I still saw "a fridge", not just "a fridge door". If I only see the back of a car driving away, I still saw "a car". If I go to the zoo and see just the elephant's head, I still see "an elephant".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter