I heard that the Grand Floridian was over-sold, yes/no?

Great info!

We are still mulling over choices but definitely buying enough points so we can get at least a 1 bd at a deluxe resort.

We are flexible when we travel, we have small children so no need to worry about their school schedules for a long while. Probably going to buy at least 300 and maybe up to 500 points.

Question: hypothetically, if we bought 500 points split in two contracts, would we only be able to use the specific points for a given home resort at the 7-11 mos mark? I assume this is the case. Or can you pool points from multiple contracts in months 7-11 if one of them is a home resort?

Great info!

Question: hypothetically, if we bought 500 points split in two contracts, would we only be able to use the specific points for a given home resort at the 7-11 mos mark? I assume this is the case. Or can you pool points from multiple contracts in months 7-11 if one of them is a home resort?
The points are the currency of the resort they belong to until 7 months. Anything booked at 7 months or less can be "paid for" with the points from any resort. Anything before 7 months must be paid for with the currency for that particular resort. The points are tied to the resort, not the owner.

Great info!

We are still mulling over choices but definitely buying enough points so we can get at least a 1 bd at a deluxe resort.

We are flexible when we travel, we have small children so no need to worry about their school schedules for a long while. Probably going to buy at least 300 and maybe up to 500 points.

You can pool the points from different contracts as long as they are the same membership and resort for 11 month reservations. You can pool all of your points from any of your contracts at 7 months. I would keep your contracts 200 points or below for faster sales in the future.

:earsboy: Bill

ll of your points from any of your contracts at 7 months. I would keep your contracts 200 points or below for faster sales in the future.

Thanks. Does keeping them at <200 speed up the ROFR process and increase chances of it passing?

Thanks. Does keeping them at <200 speed up the ROFR process and increase chances of it passing?

No, buying smaller contracts costs more per pt and adds to your total closing costs. But historically, smaller contracts sell faster and for more per point, so it might be an advantage if you later decide to sell.

(As already stated, you cannot combine pts from different resorts until 7 months out.)

Disney isn't buying VGF back right now. I strongly feel that this is going to change in the near future when the direct prices creep up towards $200pp because their margin will be much wider between resale prices and direct prices which means more profit for them if they start exercising ROFR. VGF wasn't oversold, and it's really not a problem getting anything at 11-months out most of the time. Thanksgiving, Spring Break, Christmas, etc. will be tougher even at 11 months out at most resorts just because that is when schools are out and people with school-age kids travel. Early December is tough too because of lower point usage and Christmas decorations. However, you should have luck most of the time even with studios at VGF.

Disney isn't buying VGF back right now. I strongly feel that this is going to change in the near future when the direct prices creep up towards $200pp because their margin will be much wider between resale prices and direct prices which means more profit for them if they start exercising ROFR. VGF wasn't oversold, and it's really not a problem getting anything at 11-months out most of the time. Thanksgiving, Spring Break, Christmas, etc. will be tougher even at 11 months out at most resorts just because that is when schools are out and people with school-age kids travel. Early December is tough too because of lower point usage and Christmas decorations. However, you should have luck most of the time even with studios at VGF.
Makes sense. We are definitely targeting having one bedrooms or bigger some trips, and sounds like generally, regardless of which resort, that can be slightly easier to book outside of the busiest seasons.

Just having the darndest time picking a home resort. Heck I even made a survey monkey survey just for my husband and that didn't help narrow it down! Lol.

If you have young kids VGF is great. The Beach Pool and the kiddie pool area are right next to VGF and the MK is the first stop on the monorail.

I also think that DVC will start ROFRing VGF contract soon.

In addition to points being sold for all size villas resulting in more demand for studios compared to, say, 1 br.s, there's another factor at play and that's that points are sold for something like 98% occupancy year round for the DVC resorts, but demand isn't evenly spread through out the year and thus certain very high demand times (Christmas for places like VGF and BRV, wine/cheese for BCV & BWVs) are much harder to get even for owners @ 11 months. So for certain times & resorts there are 2 factors affecting demand/supply - villa size & seasonal demand. W/ the VGF (and BCV) add into the equation that they are small DVCs so supply is quite limited compared to the larger DVC resorts like BWV (v. BCV,) AKV (non value/club,) OKW or SSR.

In addition to points being sold for all size villas resulting in more demand for studios compared to, say, 1 br.s, there's another factor at play and that's that points are sold for something like 98% occupancy year round for the DVC resorts, but demand isn't evenly spread through out the year and thus certain very high demand times (Christmas for places like VGF and BRV, wine/cheese for BCV & BWVs) are much harder to get even for owners @ 11 months. So for certain times & resorts there are 2 factors affecting demand/supply - villa size & seasonal demand. W/ the VGF (and BCV) add into the equation that they are small DVCs so supply is quite limited compared to the larger DVC resorts like BWV (v. BCV,) AKV (non value/club,) OKW or SSR.

Plus I think a greater % of people owning GF compared to others are booking at their home resort. Someone owning at Animal Kingdom, for example, would be more likely to try to stay at another resort. Why else spend so much per point?

Disney isn't buying VGF back right now. I strongly feel that this is going to change in the near future when the direct prices creep up towards $200pp because their margin will be much wider between resale prices and direct prices which means more profit for them if they start exercising ROFR.

Disney is indeed buying back VGF, although not at the same pace as some other resorts. So far in July and August 2017 Disney has bought back 15 VGF deeds containing 1,500 points.

Disney is indeed buying back VGF, although not at the same pace as some other resorts. So far in July and August 2017 Disney has bought back 15 VGF deeds containing 1,500 points.

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for that info. Is this an increase in buybacks for VGF compared to other months this year, or is this pretty standard for them?

Funny that no one on Disboards has gotten ROFR'd for VGF....... I guess we are all lucky!

Where did you find this information?

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for that info. Is this an increase in buybacks for VGF compared to other months this year, or is this pretty standard for them?

The first six months of 2017 saw 20 VGF deeds containing 2,558 points taken back by Disney (not including deeds reacquired due to foreclosures). So having 15 VGF deeds containing 1,500 points reacquired since July 1, 2017 is a bit of an uptick.

Funny that no one on Disboards has gotten ROFR'd for VGF....... I guess we are all lucky!

Keep in mind that only a very small fraction of DVC members post to the Disboards.

Where did you find this information?

Deeds reacquired by Disney are filed and recorded with the Orange County Comptroller.

DIS readers are a very very small percentage of DVC active folks and even a smaller percentage of those who are buying VGF and even a smaller percentage of those will take the time to post.

:earsboy: Bill

Plus I think a greater % of people owning GF compared to others are booking at their home resort. Someone owning at Animal Kingdom, for example, would be more likely to try to stay at another resort. Why else spend so much per point?
That factor hadn't occurred to me, but if I'm a typical VGF buyer I know I'm ok w/ using my AKV points elsewhere, but the VGF points I just bought are exclusively for using @ VGF & I paid as much as I did for those points because I wanted to stay at VGF.

That factor hadn't occurred to me, but if I'm a typical VGF buyer I know I'm ok w/ using my AKV points elsewhere, but the VGF points I just bought are exclusively for using @ VGF & I paid as much as I did for those points because I wanted to stay at VGF.

This.

My VGF points are for VGF. When it comes to pass that I have the cash to buy say BWV or BCV for spring birthday trips or Flower and Garden then I will do so. I might take a hard look at SSR for our Spring trips. But our VGF is for our fall trips and will only be used for VGF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter