I hope that this doesn't get closed.......

arielrocks

always planning another trip to Disney!!!
But it is SOOOOO hard renting out your DVC points!!!

Mine are for rent at the moment - in the correct DVC section........but there are so many people who ask you to check availability - you call for them and get back to them and then never here from them again!!!

Renting your points is A LOT OF HARD WORK!!!

The time difference makes it hard too!!!!!

I wouldn't rent my own points, but I got matching developer points for my Bay Lake purchase and DVC won't let me extend them for 1 week, which means if I don't rent em I will loose em!!!!

Sorry you're having a hard time of this, Caroline. I have for the second year rented from the same UK DIS'er and have only positive things to say - have you advertised your points on the UK DIS board? No time difference issues and payment is obviously much easier - I just paid via a UK cheque.

You are aren't allowed to advertise them to rent on the UK boards section - they changed the rules - which IMHO makes things much harder for UK Disers to rent points!!

I have rented from UK Disers before - it was so much easier - but some people are getting me running about calling to check this that and the other and when I Look again they are contacting another member about the same reservation!!!:sad:

I would expect that this thread will either be moved to the DVC boards or closed (although at the moment there is nothing which is contravening the rules). I do appreciate it is a lot of work renting out your points, especially for us Brits. I was in a similar situation last year. Have you offered your points for transfer also or just for rent - can they not be transferred because of being developer points? I don't really know what the answer is except to say that you are probably not the only one in this position and I wish you luck in getting a renter for your points soon.

I am going to move this to the UK DVC forum, simply because that's where it belongs.

I have been really lucky renting out my points in fact I keep renting out too many and leaving myself a bit short!!!! I have had to turn loads of people down and feel really guilty.

It soooooooooo definately helps if you can mention it on the uk DVC board. Now your post is on this board I hope you get some luck.

Susan

does anyone (mods?) know why we can't have a DVC rent board for UK?

I know you used to be able to advertise your points for rent here - but they have stopped that now

I asked that question when I first saw one of the topics being closed and JimC was kind enough to explain:

The moderators of the rent/trade forum and the webmasters decided to consolidate all DVC point rentals/trades onto the one forum. Normally we would delete such threads, but I closed it with the final post to direct everyone to the proper forum.

The sticky thread at the top of the UK DVC forum gives more information about posting rent/trade threads and a link to the proper forum. I suspect it will take some time to get everyone accustomed to the new routine.

JimC

Maybe you could word your post as a UK renter looking for UK people
or something along them lines on the main board

let us know how you get on

Hi

We too are in the same position, last year we gained 250 developer points which we won't be able to use. We really want to have a go at renting them but i am concerned for exactly the same reasons you have mentioned. It just worries me with the time difference and the amount of callls that might have to be made, i am really happy to help anyone out US or UK but when i read your post it just raised those issues in my head again. Glad to see that a lot of people have had great success though, o' dear what to do :confused3 they run out for Disney in Sept and as we are saving like mad to go next year i don't think we can even think about using them in Europe etc..

does anyone (mods?) know why we can't have a DVC rent board for UK?

I know you used to be able to advertise your points for rent here - but they have stopped that now
The DIS has very strict guidelines surrounding advertising DVC points for rent/trade. For years we flew under the radar here on UK DVC (and that dates back many years to when the UK forums had their own server and were, to all intents and purposes, a separate entity from the main boards), allowing us to evade the rules which applied to our US counterparts. Clearly, that wasn't equitable and, frankly, I'm surprised the free-for-all continued here for as long as it did. There was talk of withdrawing the UK DVC board altogether, but there was an acknowledgement that we really do need somewhere to discuss those issues peculiar to us. My fear is that, if people continue to circumvent the trade/post guidelines by posting veiled adverts, this forum will disappear altogether and that would be a real shame.

Now Deb has explained it properly it makes more sense.

As I post here a lot I feel like I really know the people I rent to and therefore we all feel more comfortable. As most people know my circumstances in that DH does not want to go as often as I do many people just PM to ask if I have any points left. Certainly would not want to break any rules. I get a lot of pleasure renting to people i know and have met up with because if I can't go then at least I know someone else can and I can I get really excited for them and feel all nervous the whole time they are away hoping they are having a great time.

Sounds stupid I know but means a lot to me.

Can't wait to get back to WDW myself next July

Susan

Do you have any friends/colleagues you might be able to rent to? I know I am not going to be using my allocation of points this year so I have given first refusal to one of my clients who is always saying she would like to go back to WDW but doesn't have a lot of money.

I have rented out my developer points on the main DVC rent section without any problems to USA dissers, I actually prefer renting to USA dissers at the moment due to the exchange rate. I wouldn't call just to check availability though, I don't see the point if you aren't going to make a booking then.

I am in the same boat. Its a real PITA. I agree - when we could advertise on the UK Board it was so much better IMHO. I read UKDEB's post above and appreciate that there are strict guidelines etc but I don't see why the same guidelines can't be imposed on the UK Board? I am not trying to get up anyone's nose or cause trouble or rock the boat - I just do not understand why it was changed, or believe that changing it was right. Just MHO - no criticism, other than constructive, implied I hope.

I don't see why the same guidelines can't be imposed on the UK Board?
The DVC Rent/Trade board is unique in that new threads don't post immediately - they have to be screened and validated first. Clearly we wouldn't want every new thread on this board delayed by up to 24 hours and there simply isn't enough activity to warrant a dedicated UK Rent/Trade board.

I just do not understand why it was changed
It was changed for the reasons stated in my previous post.

I have rented out my developer points on the main DVC rent section without any problems to USA dissers, I actually prefer renting to USA dissers at the moment due to the exchange rate. I wouldn't call just to check availability though, I don't see the point if you aren't going to make a booking then.

Well thats what I have to do as its almost impossible to get someone to commit to working with you.

The problem is there is always someone renting their points out cheaper then you - so anyone that you May have been dealing with will jump ship and go to someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter