I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I should explain that I meant the (approximate) cash value of points/miles, since I have always used a cash back card. The cash value of the points needed for a business class ticket is generally still higher than I'd pay for an economy ticket. As much as I hate long haul flights, I'd rather use the difference to help pay for the rest of the trip (or towards the next trip in the case of miles).

As I mentioned above, I'm thinking of applying for CSP. I like the flexibility that UR offers but am not sure if we travel enough to warrant signing up for CSR (even with all the credits in the first year - thank you @SouthFayetteFan for the breakdown!). We have been hitting DL 3-4x a year (driving down) but are probably cutting way down now to focus our budget on international travel. We also don't really eat out much other than when we are on vacation.

I'm wondering if CSP is a card you would consider a keeper with the annual fee. I ask because I'd also consider applying for Chase Freedom and Chase Freedon Unlimited later this year (I am already used to playing the card rotation game for max cash back) but really only for the ability to transfer URs to CSP since 1% on everything outside of travel/dining on the CSP is pretty meh. Note I've only opened 2 cards in the past 24 months.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far! I am a numbers girl so have a hard time wrapping my head around giving up additional 1-2% in cash back in certain categories to get only 1 point/mile instead. But I can see how in certain circumstances it makes sense giving up those few dollars if it meant I had enough miles to essentially save $200-400 off a flight if I had paid cash.

I see what you mean. With variable miles like UR or MR that makes perfect sense.

Ok, here are some numbers for you which are food for thought. The CSR $300 travel credit is triggered by any number of things including tolls. I happen to trigger that credit in tolls alone fairly quickly. Therefore, I look at it this way. I'm spending $300 in travel regardless because of the tolls. I need points that transfer to hotels or airlines but can also be used as cash through the portal. So it is a CSR or CSP. The difference between the two in AFs is $55 since I am spending over $300 in travel (tolls) no matter what I do. Let's say I want to purchase $1000 worth of travel through the UR portal. With the CSR it will cost me 66,666 UR points. With a CSP it will cost me 80,000. That is a 13,333 difference. Keeping the CSP over the CSR now just cost me $200 in buying power because I wanted to save $55. I also had to spend a lot more just to earn those points when my earning is 2x over 3x. Hope that helps.

Granted, there are cards, if you are willing to juggle a little that can help you earn more UR points at a faster rate. Hope that helps :flower3:

I just got rejected for a Barclay's CC that came with 70K bonus points. The letter said I had too many new credit cards. I did get 2 chase Disney credit cards recently (one gave me $200 and one gave me $200 plus $50 gift cards,(daughter was co-signer with her own separate card). I have good credit (one of my credit cards says my credit score is 827 and one says 730???). I closed one of the Disney credit cards and another older credit card that I don't use. Is it possible to find out see my full credit report? Maybe I have some credit cards open that I don't even know about? Can I apply for the Barclay's credit card again? If so, how long should I wait?

Do you have other Barclays's accounts by chance?

I just got rejected for a Barclay's CC that came with 70K bonus points. The letter said I had too many new credit cards. I did get 2 chase Disney credit cards recently (one gave me $200 and one gave me $200 plus $50 gift cards,(daughter was co-signer with her own separate card). I have good credit (one of my credit cards says my credit score is 827 and one says 730???). I closed one of the Disney credit cards and another older credit card that I don't use. Is it possible to find out see my full credit report? Maybe I have some credit cards open that I don't even know about? Can I apply for the Barclay's credit card again? If so, how long should I wait?

i think Arrival+ requires u to be below 6/24. not sure who they pull from, if u have alerts set up on credit karma, it should alert u of a hard pull... then u can check your report to see how many cards u open to verify your status.

Update on my Colorado Springs trip. I called on Saturday to move from the hotel near the airport to one closer to Garden of the Gods. The CSR was able to remove my Marriott 7 night cert and put back in my account (I can see it) but she could not attach to a new hotel. She said that she could not see it in her system to reattach and to call back the next day. Got busy Sunday and at work today so haven't called to reattach. I did book the hotel I want to make sure there would be a room for me once I could get the cert attached. The new expiration date for my cert is 10/2019 or one year from when I attached to my hotel, not when I got the cert which was August. So it does seem like you can move your cert out if you can't use by your expiration date by attaching and then cancelling later.

i think Arrival+ requires u to be below 6/24. not sure who they pull from, if u have alerts set up on credit karma, it should alert u of a hard pull... then u can check your report to see how many cards u open to verify your status.

What does being below 6/24 mean??? Sorry, I don't the lingo. I just know I love getting a new credit card and then getting $500 in restaurant gift cards. Lol. Can I check credit karma for alerts? or to see my credit status? Thanks for any help.

I was just coming on to post that. Yes, I have the JetBlue Barclays card that I use all the time.

How long have you had this account? If you are a regular user of it in good standing, you should be able to get another Barclay's account easily enough. I have 3 Barclay's cards. But you do need to be under (probably) 6/24 @Albort said so you need to count how many new accounts you have in the past 2 years.

What does being below 6/24 mean??? Sorry, I don't the lingo. I just know I love getting a new credit card and then getting $500 in restaurant gift cards. Lol. Can I check credit karma for alerts? or to see my credit status? Thanks for any help.

6/24 - six cards in 2 years years (24 months).

Yes you can look at Credit Karma or pull a credit report. From now on, open a spreadsheet and keep track of when and what type of card you are opening. Bands are much stricter now on approvals.

If you haven’t already..I’d check on credit karma to see what they are showing as your credit score and also the date of credit cards you’ve opened ..if Barclays is like Chase they count the number of personal cards you’ve opened over the last 24 months...does not matter if they are currently opened or closed

How long have you had this account? If you are a regular user of it in good standing, you should be able to get another Barclay's account easily enough. I have 3 Barclay's cards. But you do need to be under (probably) 6/24 @Albort said so you need to count how many new accounts you have in the past 2 years.

OK, I got it. You cannot have more then 6 new accounts in 2 years. Honestly, I am not sure how many I have opened. I know the JetBlue Barclays I opened April, 2018, maybe that's why? Can I find this information out on Credit Karma? I am assuming it's done online?

If you haven’t already..I’d check on credit karma to see what they are showing as your credit score and also the date of credit cards you’ve opened ..if Barclays is like Chase they count the number of personal cards you’ve opened over the last 24 months...does not matter if they are currently opened or closed

Also, will getting rejected by a credit card company hurt my credit rating?

OK, I got it. You cannot have more then 6 new accounts in 2 years. Honestly, I am not sure how many I have opened. I know the JetBlue Barclays I opened April, 2018, maybe that's why? Can I find this information out on Credit Karma? I am assuming it's done online?
Credit Karma will show the date you opened each card...make sure you look at closed accounts too..since they count if opened in the last 24 months...also if your an authorized user on any accounts opened in the last 24 months

I'm almost done with my Hyatt MSR and DH and I are starting to think about next steps.

We are thinking he should apply for a CIC (most likely) or a CIU. Anyone know a reason to choose one over the other (other than how CIU gets us 1.5 URs on every purchase, but CIC gets us 5 URs on certain categories)?

Also, do we need to wait for DH to get under 5/24 before he applies? If so, is Credit Karma a good place to see when that pesky card opened in March of 2017 falls off the list? How much time should we buffer so he doesn't run into any issues?

Looking for DPs concerning posting of the bonus on AMEX Hilton Honors. Met the minimum spend (including making sure I went over the MSR minus the glitch on January 31st spend!) and my closing date was yesterday. Any DPs on when I can expect the 100,000 bonus points to post?

This would be why a lot of us are having a love/hate mostly hate as of late relationship with Amex. I assume you did not get a pop up? If you are on their good list points post almost immediately especially on the non MR cards like Hilton. I have had points post as soon as the qualifying charge went pending. At this point I would just keep putting spend on the card. Maybe wait a couple more weeks and if still nothing you could try contacting Amex.

I'm almost done with my Hyatt MSR and DH and I are starting to think about next steps.

We are thinking he should apply for a CIC (most likely) or a CIU. Anyone know a reason to choose one over the other (other than how CIU gets us 1.5 URs on every purchase, but CIC gets us 5 URs on certain categories)?

Also, do we need to wait for DH to get under 5/24 before he applies? If so, is Credit Karma a good place to see when that pesky card opened in March of 2017 falls off the list? How much time should we buffer so he doesn't run into any issues?

Unfortunately need to wait until he’s under 5/24....I’ve read to be safe it’s off the report wait until the following month so 4/1....
As far as CIC vs CIU...why not both....for us we did the CIC first...then the CIU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter