I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about the Citi and Barclays AA cards. How are the current SUB compared to what they offer other times of year? Should I go ahead and apply for one now or wait for a higher offer? Currently Citi is 50,000 and 65,000 for biz. Barclay is 60,000 and 75,000 for biz.

Can you guys provide some feedback? My goal is a 6 night stay at Grand Wailea Christmas time 2021. DH just got the Aspire and now I’m looking to get my own card to add more points. I’ll need 380k points and a FWN cert. to cover the entire stay. My plan is to get myself a Surpass using support from DH. I can hit the 15k spend to get a FWN by the end of this year, which should carry over to 2021. Getting another personal card will put me at 4/24 so I want to make sure I’m choosing the correct card.

Would there be any other benefit for choosing a different card over the Surpass. I also considered the Hilton Biz, but I like the 6x grocery on Suprass and the lower MSR. I also considered another Aspire for myself, but can’t quite see the value.

Any thoughts or strategies would be appreciated!

What Amex cards does DH have?

What Amex cards do you have? What cards are your 3/24 and when did you open them?

Question about the Citi and Barclays AA cards. How are the current SUB compared to what they offer other times of year? Should I go ahead and apply for one now or wait for a higher offer? Currently Citi is 50,000 and 65,000 for biz. Barclay is 60,000 and 75,000 for biz.
DH is working on Citi Biz 70k/$4k MSR. The Barclay Biz is a good offer, it’s usually 60k.
I can’t comment on the personal ones, but I think someone said that the inflight Barclay included the companion ticket. I could be wrong. I’m flying AA next week, I’ll let you know.

What Amex cards does DH have?

What Amex cards do you have? What cards are your 3/24 and when did you open them?

DH
1 Amex- Aspire opened 2/3/20

Me
Barclay Aviator Red 9/19
Amex Platinum 11/19
Chase CFU 12/19

As you can see if I open another personal card I’ll be 4/24 for another 1.5yrs. While not ideal, it’s something I can work within.

DH is working on Citi Biz 70k/$4k MSR. The Barclay Biz is a good offer, it’s usually 60k.
I can’t comment on the personal ones, but I think someone said that the inflight Barclay included the companion ticket. I could be wrong. I’m flying AA next week, I’ll let you know.
Is there a way to apply for the inflight offer if you're not on a flight? Like a link to the offer? If not, I may just go for this one now. Thanks

All I have to add to this is that the Barclay personal 60,000 is their standard offer. I applied 1/19, DH applied 3/19, my brother in law applied 11/19, and my sister just applied 1/20. We all got the same 60,000. The only difference between when DH and I applied and when my sister and her DH applied, is now they added companion certificate for $99 onto the first year signup offer.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...accepting-new-applications-45000-point-bonus/
Hmm, I got this to pull up for me using Chrome incognito. I just finished both MSRs for DH and my Biz Green so it's time for a new AmEx. I've been waiting for an elevated offer, but not sure if this qualifies. I would have to get to for DH and it would put him at 4/24, with one falling off in March. I would use my BBP link for 10k MR. So 57K, including base spend for 2K MSR and $150 AF. The credits mean nothing to me. I should add at this point I don't have a specific use in mind for my MRs, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend $150 on an annual fee. My other option for AmEx would be the personal Gold, but I'd rather have it in my name and I'd like to wait for an elevated offer for that. Any AmEx experts want to weigh in? @Lain? Think this is worth it?

@Lain the other challenge I’m facing is standard room availability at Christmas will go fast. From my research I need to have all points and certs in place by January 2021 in order to have a chance at a booking a room.

That's right...thank you. 1:1?
That's right...thank you. 1:1?

Here is Lain's explanation from earlier:

URs transfer to Marriott 1000:1000. Transferring UR to Marriott is generally a BAD IDEA, except if you had a big stash of Marriott points already and you needed to "top off" that stash to make a redemption -- preferably for a 5 night stay to get one of those nights free and stretch the value of your redemption, or you knew you could get better than 1.5 cent per point value once your URs are Marriott points.

For a quick point of comparison, UR are worth 1.5 cpp with a CSR through the Chase travel portal, or 1.25 cpp with a CSP or CIP. Most people would peg the value of a Marriott point somewhere around 0.7 cent per point, maybe less with the upcoming category changes (i.e., devaluation).

As a real world example, Marriott recently announced that among the 1,600+ hotels increasing in category (therefore, points required per night) effective 3/4/20, the COURTYARD across from Disneyland will be jumping from Category 6 to 7. A Category 7 hotel requires 60k Marriott points/night on a standard night, 50k/night off peak and 70k/night peak! The average cost for a room even on a busy weekend like 4th of July is only $359. This means if you were to use 60k-70k Marriott points on a room at this hotel, your Marriott points are worth barely 0.5 cents per point! Or you can book the cash rate at a fixed 1.5 cents per UR point through the Chase travel portal for 24k UR/night on your CSR.

Now, if you were to transfer UR to Marriott, you'd transfer 60k-70k URs to book one night. What a terrible value! You could book the same room, same night through Chase with your URs for only 24k UR/night

Question about Chase 5/24- That's personal cards, right? What about Chase business cards? Since Chase can see those, do they count toward the 5/24?

I think I'll be using our CIC for this round at Staples. Dh said he can see his Capital One Venture is coming in the mail today, but I don't think we'll have any trouble meeting that spend. I'd rather have the 5x with the CIC. I need to check if we have the Amex offer first, though.

We have the Amex offer on both of our BBPs. Would it be better to use that or our CIC??

Last edited:
It is for all cards that can be seen on your credit report from all issuers. Chase business cards do not add to your count but you must be under 5/24 to apply.
Thanks, and can someone remind me which business cards show on your credit report? I remember Cap One, but I was thinking there were others.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...accepting-new-applications-45000-point-bonus/
Hmm, I got this to pull up for me using Chrome incognito. I just finished both MSRs for DH and my Biz Green so it's time for a new AmEx. I've been waiting for an elevated offer, but not sure if this qualifies. I would have to get to for DH and it would put him at 4/24, with one falling off in March. I would use my BBP link for 10k MR. So 57K, including base spend for 2K MSR and $150 AF. The credits mean nothing to me. I should add at this point I don't have a specific use in mind for my MRs, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend $150 on an annual fee. My other option for AmEx would be the personal Gold, but I'd rather have it in my name and I'd like to wait for an elevated offer for that. Any AmEx experts want to weigh in? @Lain? Think this is worth it?

When the Amex Green introductory offer with the Away credit ended last month, I tried seeing what the incognito offer was on the Green and kept pulling 45k MR/$2k MSR/3 months pretty easily. It no longer has the Away credit, and we've not yet used the CLEAR or LoungeBuddy credits on DW's Green, so yeah those credits mean nothing if you don't plan to use them. I think 45k MR/$2k MSR/3 months is the default incognito offer on the Green going forward.

On the one hand, it's 45k MR for only $2k MSR is a pretty good deal. With a support click, you say you'd net another 10k MR. What other Amex MR cards do you have from which you can support? Assuming your BBP is your highest supporting card, like you said that's net 57k MR. DH gets 45k MR SUB + 2k+ MR from MSR spend (keep in mind the Green earns 3x MR at restaurants and on travel); you get a 10k MR support bonus. Remember you can't combine MR between spouses' accounts, but there are ways to still get one spouse's MR to the other spouse's frequent flyer and hotel loyalty accounts.

You still come out ahead on the AF at least in the first, but I'd hate for you to have to pay a $150 AF on a card with credits you won't use. The Green earns 3x MR on (most) dining and travel, which is the same earning structure as the CSR. If you or P2 have a CSR, will you be shifting dining and travel spend over to the Green? If so, can you justify paying a $450/$550 AF on the CSR if you're not spending on it and just holding it for 1.5x redemptions, travel insurance, and the travel and DoorDash credits? And if not, then will the Green become a sockdrawer card that might cause P2 to get the pop up. Relatedly, is the Green a card that P2 will cancel after a year, and thus risk the pop up, because paying another year's $150 AF then becomes a losing proposition if you're not using the CLEAR and LoungeBuddy credits?

The Amex Gold is not as duplicative with other Chase cards. It earns 4x MR on (most) dining, which I value more than the CSR's 3x UR, and 4x MR (up to $25k spend/year) at supermarkets. Amex has a few other cards with a supermarket bonus, but Chase does not outside of random CF 5x UR quarterly bonus categories. If you buy GC/VGC/MCGC with your groceries, that 4x MR category can be quite lucrative. I also find the credits on the Gold are moreso things you'd actually be spending money on anyway (thus, actually offset the $250 AF), which include $10/month towards delivery or pickup on GrubHub, or pick up a meal or a $10 GC every month at Cheesecake Factory, Shack Shack, Ruth's Chris, etc; and a $100/calendar year airline fee credit.

It appears that with the release of the Green, Amex increased the MSR on the Gold to $4k. It's still fairly easy to pull an incognito offer on the Gold for 50k MR/$4k MSR/3 months using a support link. I believe this is the best offer you can get on the Gold right now.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need to bounce anything else off me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter