I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on track to finish up my Hyatt MSR in 4-6 weeks, so I'm looking for our next card. It's DH's turn - he's at 2/24 and his last Chase card was opened in April. I was going to have him apply for a Hyatt card but now I'm not sure if that is the best option...with Japan already booked, I don't have any particular need for any points besides possibly redeeming some URs for SW flights and Universal or Disney Springs hotels on solo weekend trips next fall; I'm trying to crank down on our budget, so I can't particularly justify any new AFs or huge MSRs (.e.g a Sapphire MDD for DH) right now; and while I always love URs I'm not feeling like taking a risk on another biz application for DH.

Would the new CFF be the best option at this time? I almost hate to use up a 5/24 slot for a Freedom card but I don't know what else to do at this point. I suppose an Amex BBP is also a viable option since I can at least cash those out for Home Depot gift cards, or possibly transfer the points to Marriott, and then he wouldn't be hitting up Chase again for the third or fourth time in 12 months. Or do you think the new higher CSP bonus is worth missing out on the CSR for 4 more years?

Thoughts? I can get more granular about */24 counts, all our existing cards, etc. but thought I'd ask more generally first.

I'm on track to finish up my Hyatt MSR in 4-6 weeks, so I'm looking for our next card. It's DH's turn - he's at 2/24 and his last Chase card was opened in April. I was going to have him apply for a Hyatt card but now I'm not sure if that is the best option...with Japan already booked, I don't have any particular need for any points besides possibly redeeming some URs for SW flights and Universal or Disney Springs hotels on solo weekend trips next fall; I'm trying to crank down on our budget, so I can't particularly justify any new AFs or huge MSRs (.e.g a Sapphire MDD for DH) right now; and while I always love URs I'm not feeling like taking a risk on another biz application for DH.

Would the new CFF be the best option at this time? I almost hate to use up a 5/24 slot for a Freedom card but I don't know what else to do at this point. I suppose an Amex BBP is also a viable option since I can at least cash those out for Home Depot gift cards, or possibly transfer the points to Marriott, and then he wouldn't be hitting up Chase again for the third or fourth time in 12 months. Or do you think the new higher CSP bonus is worth missing out on the CSR for 4 more years?

Thoughts? I can get more granular about */24 counts, all our existing cards, etc. but thought I'd ask more generally first.
Would the MDD be an option for the CSP and CSR...if not after a year you could always PC the CSP to the CSR

Would the MDD be an option for the CSP and CSR...if not after a year you could always PC the CSP to the CSR

So, as far as DH's */24 count, pacing, etc. goes, yes. However, we can't afford the combined $8k MSR and $95 + $250 (effective) AFs at once right now. Also, I already have a CSR that we use for the 1.5x redemptions.

I am thinking it may be better to apply for a couple more personal cards for him, then do a MDD when he's at 4/24 (if that's still an option).

So, as far as DH's */24 count, pacing, etc. goes, yes. However, we can't afford the combined $8k MSR and $95 + $250 (effective) AFs at once right now. Also, I already have a CSR that we use for the 1.5x redemptions.

I am thinking it may be better to apply for a couple more personal cards for him, then do a MDD when he's at 4/24 (if that's still an option).
Since you have the CSR that’s great...the CSP 80k bonus is rumored to go away 11/8

Are they JB points or points you are transferring in from somewhere? If they are JB points already and you don't have a future use in mind already for them, I would use them for this flight. If you are transferring it would be a different equation, what would you be likely to use those points for otherwise.
@Maine_Belle - I was going to answer earlier and forgot. In this case - exactly what @EACarlson says - use the points unless you have something else planned. Points can get devalued very quickly. When you have a reasonable value, go for it. Cash in your bank account is more valuable in this instance.

Anybody here ready to try for another Chase Biz card? Of course you're risking a denial and wasted inquiry, but if you try, please report back here with the results!

It is so tempting but for my sanity, if I try it, I'll wait until Monday :) I haven't opened a chase card since a CIP last November. But since then I've gotten a plat, surpass, citi premier and a gold that hasn't hit my report yet. While I realize they are different than biz, I'm concerned they won't like me because of that and that it'll have nothing to do with anything else, so I'd like to see a few more dps as well.

I've got almost 8 years in biz and almost 9k a year and it's a rental so it shows it's steady vs selling stuff or something which I think may make a difference. But I'm not going to fight for it in recon either, like I've read a few people have. 45- 60 min on the phone, even with the UR's it'd give me, just doesn't sound appealing at the moment. But I would like the CIC and my current CIP doesn't have a high enough CL to PC it. So even if I was denied maybe this would be enough loosening for them to up my CL so I can PC it.

Since you have the CSR that’s great...the CSP 80k bonus is rumored to go away 11/8

Well that gives me the time I need. I want to move my app to October so that I have into January to meet my spend. That gives me the ability to keep on track with spending on other cards. Finished my amex promo today. Almost half the spend can be met with insurance premiums. Yay. lol.

It is so tempting but for my sanity, if I try it, I'll wait until Monday :) I haven't opened a chase card since a CIP last November. But since then I've gotten a plat, surpass, citi premier and a gold that hasn't hit my report yet. While I realize they are different than biz, I'm concerned they won't like me because of that and that it'll have nothing to do with anything else, so I'd like to see a few more dps as well.

I've got almost 8 years in biz and almost 9k a year and it's a rental so it shows it's steady vs selling stuff or something which I think may make a difference. But I'm not going to fight for it in recon either, like I've read a few people have. 45- 60 min on the phone, even with the UR's it'd give me, just doesn't sound appealing at the moment. But I would like the CIC and my current CIP doesn't have a high enough CL to PC it. So even if I was denied maybe this would be enough loosening for them to up my CL so I can PC it.
Agree..I can try in November/December but wouldn’t go for the CIP...I’d try for a CIC or CIU since I could meet the sign up bonus ...but will definitely watch and see what is going on

Update on next SW release - pushed back to December
We are currently accepting air reservations through April 11, 2021. On December 10, 2020 we will open our schedule for sale through June 5, 2021. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

This previously was Nov 12th. This is subject to change and could get moved back up.

Agree..I can try in November/December but wouldn’t go for the CIP...I’d try for a CIC or CIU since I could meet the sign up bonus ...but will definitely watch and see what is going on

If I'm going to do it I can't wait that long. My first statement hasn't cut yet, it closes the 17th, so I need to get in before it reports in October. So I think I can wait another week or two to see what dp's there are. I don't want to be the dp I want to see, I want to see others do it first :)

I'd like the internet/office supply bonus of the CIC. The gas is also good to have in my back pocket as the only other card I have with that is my citi card, but I think that'll be a PC after a year.

The CSR earns 10x UR on up to $1,500 in “streaming” purchases until 9/30. Select streaming services includes “iTunes Music.” iTunes credit reloads trigger the bonus category. At the end of July, Apple did away with the distinction between “iTunes/App Store” GCs and “Apple Store” GCs. There is just one Apple credit currency that’s tied to your Apple ID that can be used to purchase digital products and services on the iTunes and App Stores and actual merchandise from the Apple Store. That is, iTunes credit can be used to buy Apple hardware. (Alas, this change very likely means we won’t be seeing very many 10-20% discounts on iTunes GCs anymore.)

If you have a CSR, add your CSR to your Apple ID account and select it as your payment method (to avoid confusion and the risk iTunes charging to another card, I would remove any other forms of payment because the purchase screen doesn’t show you what card you’re using). From the iTunes Store app, scroll all the way down, click on your Apple ID, and Add Money to Account. Load your Apple ID account with funds in fixed denominations up to $500 per transaction. Word of caution, this is very prone to triggering fraud flags on both Apple’s and Chase’s end, particularly if you’re loading $500 at a time. Have your phone nearby to clear Chase fraud alert texts as they come. If iTunes “locks up” and won’t let you make a purchase, you’ll need to contact Apple support to clear it up. This is a security lock to prevent unusual purchases on your account.

Once the funds are loaded to your Apple ID account, you can go to the Apple Store online, and at checkout it’ll give you the option to apply your Apple ID credit to your purchase. I would also try to stack this by going through a shopping portal. Check cashbackmonitor. Apple occasionally does elevated bonuses through the airline portals, about once a month or so.

P.S. While this will give you a pretty substantial return on URs, you are ultimately buying the MacBook using essentially a gift card that carries no extended warranty protections. The best card you could put this on would be an Amex Platinum you don’t intend to close in the next 2-3 years. Alternatively, if you go the gift card route, I would consider buying Apple Care for the device.
So the date on 10x points on $1,500 in streaming services expenses for the CSR have been extended until 9/30.

Friendly reminder that loading credit to your Apple ID/iTunes account counts as a streaming service purchase.

Now that you can use your iTunes/App Store credits to purchase Apple products in the store, and given that new Apple products are being announced in the next couple of months, it may be worth loading up on this to effectively earn 10 UR/$1 on Apple purchases.

Is this still working? DH is going to order the new apple watch, so if working, I'd like to take advantage of it. When I look at our CSR card benefits, I'm not seeing anything about 10x streaming. Should is show up there if my card is eligible?

Thanks for any info!

Is this still working? DH is going to order the new apple watch, so if working, I'd like to take advantage of it. When I look at our CSR card benefits, I'm not seeing anything about 10x streaming. Should is show up there if my card is eligible?

Thanks for any info!
I haven't seen temporary benefits show up on the card benefits pages, but Chase has been updating this website for the Sapphire cards:

https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/sapphire-reserve-benefits
If it's listed there then it's not a targeted offer and anyone with that card is eligible.

Can't speak to if it's still coding as streaming, but I haven't heard any change. Could test with a couple dollars and see what it earns before doing the full amount.

Thanks for any info!

I loaded my Apple ID up to the maximum of $1500 (limited to doing $500 at a time by Apple) but it coded correctly and I earned 15,000 UR total. Definitely a good way to get some bonus points for buying an Apple product

I loaded my Apple ID up to the maximum of $1500 (limited to doing $500 at a time by Apple) but it coded correctly and I earned 15,000 UR total. Definitely a good way to get some bonus points for buying an Apple product
Interesting. Dd wants a new iPad Air but I’m thinking she should wait until Black Friday and buy from target or Best Buy. Not sure what to do.

I tried earlier and got one out of 3 to work. My Amex Hilton won't go through. BCP worked but I just gave up.

I got 1 credit to work on my platinum. Every try since I keep getting e-mails from e-gifter saying they cannot process my order. Grrr.

Interesting. Dd wants a new iPad Air but I’m thinking she should wait until Black Friday and buy from target or Best Buy. Not sure what to do.

You could load up the credit and wait until BF. I'm going to load the maximum amount that I have available and wait for the new Hermes iWatch to come out. It should work (can anyone confirm?).

I got 1 credit to work on my platinum. Every try since I keep getting e-mails from e-gifter saying they cannot process my order. Grrr.

You could load up the credit and wait until BF. I'm going to load the maximum amount that I have available and wait for the new Hermes iWatch to come out. It should work (can anyone confirm?).
I thought Apple never ran decent Black Friday deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter