I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had Disney travel plans, I would definitely hit the $1500!

Sorry that your plans had to change. But I am sure you will enjoy your trip anyways. Lake Louise, Banff and Calgary are all wonderful. I really loved it there and look forward to going back sometime in the future with DH.
Change of plans, again. Back to a FREE lakeview room courtesy of Fairmont :)

need peoples opinion here, I was going to cancel my Southwest premier later this month then the plan was to wait till October and apply for either the plus and premier again, or the the plus and the business, so I could get the CP for almost 2 years. But I'm starting to lean towards going ahead and getting them now because of the 60,000 points instant CP after spending. I just got the CSP back in April, my Credit score is high 700, but the only way theyw ould give me that card was to rearrange some limits on other cards, I currently have 2 disney visas, freedom, southwest premier, amazon, and the new CSP. Anyone want to give their thoughts on whether to just go ahead and apply for the plus and keep my fingers crossed or should I close out the premier first, or I could close one of the Disney's or is it better to leave all open and offer to transfer some of the balance off of either of those cards.

oh and I am currently at 1/24 or possibly 2/24 as I also just applied for and got the gold Amex a week ago.

Went back into the UR portal to check WDW resorts and it appears I'm able to pull more resorts by adjusting my dates. I can find more available for the first 4 nights, then others available the last 2 nights. I'm guessing there isn't much with availability for the entire duration of our stay. I wonder if it would be a headache to just make two separate bookings through the portal.

For WDW resorts, I have had better luck actually putting specific search terms in. For example, I searched for DISNEY and only got a few hotels. When I searched for specific terms, more hotels came up.

For WDW resorts, I have had better luck actually putting specific search terms in. For example, I searched for DISNEY and only got a few hotels. When I searched for specific terms, more hotels came up.

Normally when I'm searching for Disney resorts only, I perform the search as usual, but then type "Disney's" in the search bar to filter out any non-Disney owned resorts. This method has worked for me. Problem is, when I put in the entire duration of our trip only 5 resorts come up as available to book on the portal. If I split it up, there are more options. I'm just unsure about booking the stay as two separate bookings. Didn't know if it might cause problems.

I'll try typing in specific resort names and see if I can get more to come up for the whole stay.

Normally when I'm searching for Disney resorts only, I perform the search as usual, but then type "Disney's" in the search bar to filter out any non-Disney owned resorts. This method has worked for me. Problem is, when I put in the entire duration of our trip only 5 resorts come up as available to book on the portal. If I split it up, there are more options. I'm just unsure about booking the stay as two separate bookings. Didn't know if it might cause problems.

I'll try typing in specific resort names and see if I can get more to come up for the whole stay.

The trip I am trying to put together is coming up with hardly any resorts available for some of the days and lots of availability for other days. If I put in the entire range of dates, very little shows. I may end up doing two bookings through Chase or doing some of the dates through the agency that has good rates around Labor Day.

The trip I am trying to put together is coming up with hardly any resorts available for some of the days and lots of availability for other days. If I put in the entire range of dates, very little shows. I may end up doing two bookings through Chase or doing some of the dates through the agency that has good rates around Labor Day.

My goal is to use only points for this trip, so I'm guessing my only option will be to do 2 bookings through the Chase portal. We are going 10/04 - 10/10. I'm compiling a list of what is available for different sets of dates in a spreadsheet so I can compare and see what our options are for the whole trip. Strange thing is, Pop is not showing up as available for the entire time. However, if I search for 10/04 - 10/07, it's showing up and again when I search for 10/07 - 10/10 it's showing up. I'll look into it a bit more because that may be due to the room type or something. Our preference would be a mod, but there are very few mods coming up at all.

I'm wondering if it will be a hassle once the reservations are transferred over to Disney, or if they would just look at it the same way they handle split stays booked directly with them.

Change of plans, again. Back to a FREE lakeview room courtesy of Fairmont :)

That's excellent. I wonder if they are trying to be accommodating to minimize complaints about the end of the card. I am trying to console myself with the fact that I will get a "bonus" Freedom card, since it will be literally years before I can qualify for a Chase card that falls under the 5/24 rule.

need peoples opinion here, I was going to cancel my Southwest premier later this month then the plan was to wait till October and apply for either the plus and premier again, or the the plus and the business, so I could get the CP for almost 2 years. But I'm starting to lean towards going ahead and getting them now because of the 60,000 points instant CP after spending. I just got the CSP back in April, my Credit score is high 700, but the only way theyw ould give me that card was to rearrange some limits on other cards, I currently have 2 disney visas, freedom, southwest premier, amazon, and the new CSP. Anyone want to give their thoughts on whether to just go ahead and apply for the plus and keep my fingers crossed or should I close out the premier first, or I could close one of the Disney's or is it better to leave all open and offer to transfer some of the balance off of either of those cards.

oh and I am currently at 1/24 or possibly 2/24 as I also just applied for and got the gold Amex a week ago.

have you had the premier for over 2 years? you won't get the bonus if your not.

My goal is to use only points for this trip, so I'm guessing my only option will be to do 2 bookings through the Chase portal. We are going 10/04 - 10/10. I'm compiling a list of what is available for different sets of dates in a spreadsheet so I can compare and see what our options are for the whole trip. Strange thing is, Pop is not showing up as available for the entire time. However, if I search for 10/04 - 10/07, it's showing up and again when I search for 10/07 - 10/10 it's showing up. I'll look into it a bit more because that may be due to the room type or something. Our preference would be a mod, but there are very few mods coming up at all.

I'm wondering if it will be a hassle once the reservations are transferred over to Disney, or if they would just look at it the same way they handle split stays booked directly with them.

I guess I was thinking it would just look like a split stay (which we do almost every time we go to WDW and we always need two rooms so we are used to lots of conf #'s). Pop doesn't show up for our dates really at all either but I think Pop rooms there are pretty limited for my time period (during FD'ing). That is so weird that it shows up for you searching the dates differently.

I guess I was thinking it would just look like a split stay (which we do almost every time we go to WDW and we always need two rooms so we are used to lots of conf #'s). Pop doesn't show up for our dates really at all either but I think Pop rooms there are pretty limited for my time period (during FD'ing). That is so weird that it shows up for you searching the dates die fferently.
Maybe they don't have a room to keep you in for the whole time. If you don't mind changing rooms, I'd book the two separate stays. The only confusion might occur if you are getting the dining plan.

Has anyone ever noticed availability increase in the UR portal? I'm looking to book another WDW resort stay with DH's UR. Last week there were several Disney resorts showing as available. Since yesterday morning I'm only able to pull up 5. I'm hoping it might be related to the Disney site going through "enhancements" that I've been reading about a lot lately. Just curious if anyone has seen where there was very limited availability in the UR portal, then found more available later.
Sometimes.... but more often I've found that availability decreases on UR for hotels..... or the price rises the longer you wait. If it's a busy time of year you should book what you want asap. I feel like Disney is highly desired and goes faster.

Went back into the UR portal to check WDW resorts and it appears I'm able to pull more resorts by adjusting my dates. I can find more available for the first 4 nights, then others available the last 2 nights. I'm guessing there isn't much with availability for the entire duration of our stay. I wonder if it would be a headache to just make two separate bookings through the portal.
I have never done this yet - I would think that if you can get your actual booking numbers that disney uses- you could then link them on MDE and they'd note that at disney- i.e. staying in the same room if you're not switching hotels. In my experience (not UR) Disney itself is pretty good about keeping the same room etc for split stays if notified ahead of time we've done it before. They usually don't allot rooms till closer to travel dates. How do you get your disney conf. # from UR?

So I put my and DW's student loan payments on the CIP through Plastiq, and they both coded for 3x bonuses under "trvl, ship, adv, telecom."

Strangely, my internet service provider, paid directly, did not code for any bonus under "internet, cable and phone services" and only earned 1x.

Last edited:
I have never done this yet - I would think that if you can get your actual booking numbers that disney uses- you could then link them on MDE and they'd note that at disney- i.e. staying in the same room if you're not switching hotels. In my experience (not UR) Disney itself is pretty good about keeping the same room etc for split stays if notified ahead of time we've done it before. They usually don't allot rooms till closer to travel dates. How do you get your disney conf. # from UR?

I'll have to check again today, but I think it was showing a preferred room available for the first few night, but only a standard room available for the rest of the nights. I'm guessing that would mean we would have to switch rooms at some point. I'll look into it more this weekend.

Last time we booked using UR, I had to contact Disney a day or so after I booked to get the Disney confirmation number. Chase was unable to give me that number and said it wouldn't be available until a few days before travel which definitely wouldn't work for booking FPs. I postep about it here in this threa with specifics on how it all worked out.

We aren't against doing a split stay if that is our only option. It's just being Disney newbs (this will be our 3rd trip) we have no experience with that at all. I've been checking out the split stay thread for more info.

That's excellent. I wonder if they are trying to be accommodating to minimize complaints about the end of the card. I am trying to console myself with the fact that I will get a "bonus" Freedom card, since it will be literally years before I can qualify for a Chase card that falls under the 5/24 rule.
I'm not sure why they did it. But am so happy they did and planned another stay based on their excellent customer service. I've booked a stay using my third night free certificate and suite upgrade at the D.C. Location on Labor Day weekend. Total was $450 for 3 nights in a capital corner suite with a $50 dining credit. Will also use my $50 dining certificate too so $100 back for food on a 3 night suite stay which is $350 net. I paid $300 for one night on the gold floor back in February.
So as you see, the card has value if used properly to maximize value. I'll miss it so.

Me too! We haven't paid for airfare in years thanks to travel hacking with credit card sign bonuses. We've been able to fly first class to Europe and back for the last 4 years on miles. We've stayed at hotels in Europe for free with points. We were even able to redeem over $3,000 worth of excursions and on board charges on DCL with cash back travel points. I love credit cards! They save us so much money and allow us to travel in a manner and style we would not actually pay real money to experience. Looking forward to our first class flights to Hawaii next March that we snagged for miles and $5.60 in taxes and fees each way LOL

Whaaa? Tell me your secrets!!! You have my dream life!!!!!!

Edit: Oh, I just saw you posted some of what you've done. Does opening the cards/having so much available credit negatively affect your credit score?

I was at 3/24 and applied for both the Southwest Plus and Premier. Applied for one right after the other and was immediately approved for both. Yay! Can't wait for that Companion Pass!

I have a question about the Barclaycard credit. I am wondering how Vacation Strategy codes to make sure I can use my Barclaycard credits for our Wyndham stay in February. Anyone know where I can find that info? I swear I saw it months ago but now I can't find it. I am scrolling Flyertalk now but not having any luck...

Thanks!

Whaaa? Tell me your secrets!!! You have my dream life!!!!!!

Edit: Oh, I just saw you posted some of what you've done. Does opening the cards/having so much available credit negatively affect your credit score?

I always start with where do I want to go in 2 years. Then figure out the points and miles I will need to get there and accumulate them so that they are in place one year before the trip. I avoid paying cash or using a debit card whenever possible. If I can purchase something online through a shopping portal to get extra miles then that is the route I will take. The AA shopping portal had an bonus offer to earn 1200 AA miles if you made $300 in purchases by the end of the month. I needed to buy a new dishwasher so I purchased it through the AA shopping portal from Lowes which was offering 2 AA miles/$ and used a new BA Visa that I'm working on getting 100,000 miles bonus and a companion pass.

I try to maximize bonus categories. So if Chase Freedom's 5x is groceries and we decide we are going to have dinner at Bonefish Grill, we will purchase a Bonefish Grill gift card at Publix with the Chase Freedom so that we get 5x on that dinner. I joined the dining rewards network for the airline I fly the most.

Not at all. Every new application will ding your score a few points but that falls off the first year. At the same time, though, the new credit line will lower your utilization ratio and that part of your credit score is weighted heavier. Therefore, my credit score is now in the 800's. Before travel hacking, it was hovering around 700 give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter