I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Freedom bonus is awarded as 15,000 UR points (2,500 UR Points for adding an AU). So the signup bonus really is 17,500 UR Points. If you have (or later get) a CSP or CSR you can use the 17.5k URs for travel or partners making it worth $250-$300. You also can take $175 cash if you so choose.

You can still debate the merits of using a 5/24 slot for a Freedom card but to say you get no URs for signing up is misleading.

That's fair and absolutely correct. It's been a long time since we got our Freedom and I took Chase too literally when they advertise $150 cash back. Chase's UR cards earn points that are good for cash back.

I've thought about the CSR but I'm pretty new to this hobby and dh isn't quite sold on it yet, so the $450 annual fee is probably a no go right now.

It looks like you're at 3/24, so you have about 2 new card approvals left before you're shut out from applying for the CSR and getting the bonus until one of those 5/24 cards drop off the last two years. If you keep at this hobby, you may never drop below 5/24.

The $450 annual fee is tough to swallow, but it's easily justifiable. There's been a lot of discussion about the CSR annual fee in this thread already, but I'll just go over the highlights. The CSR comes with a $300 travel credit, which can apply to almost anything travel related (e.g. hotels, timeshares, air fare, cabs, ride hailing services, parking garages, tolls, etc.) If you expect to spend $300 towards any of these categories of expenses in the next year, you'll easily recoup that portion of the annual fee. That makes the CSR a net-$150 annual fee card. Don't forget that it also comes with $100 reimbursement credit for TSA Precheck or Global Entry. And Priority Pass access to airport lounges around the world. Even if you're not a jetsetter who can take advantage of these benefits, the CSR has a lot of other cardholder benefits that can justify the price, including car rental and trip delay insurance, and merchandise purchase and price protection. For example, I purchased an iPad back in March for $400, the same model recently dropped in price to $300, and I was able to get price protection claim approved for $100 back. I feel that's just one of the ways I can recoup the $450 annual fee, maybe come out ahead. Meanwhile, I've pocketed the signup bonus and earn 3x on travel and dining spending.

Worst case scenario, you use 45,000 UR points from the signup bonus as a statement credit to offset the $450 annual fee, and you still come out ahead with 5,000 UR points left and $300 in travel credit, and a card with better earning bonuses for travel and dining than your CSP.

Last edited:
That's fair and absolutely correct. It's been a long time since we got our Freedom and I took Chase too literally when they advertise $150 cash back. Chase's UR cards earn points that are good for cash back.

It looks like you're at 3/24, so you have about 2 new card approvals left before you're shut out from applying for the CSR and getting the bonus until one of those 5/24 cards drop off the last two years. If you keep at this hobby, you may never drop below 5/24.

The $450 annual fee is tough to swallow, but it's easily justifiable. There's been a lot of discussion about the CSR annual fee in this thread already, but I'll just go over the highlights. The CSR comes with a $300 travel credit, which can apply to almost anything travel related (e.g. hotels, timeshares, air fare, cabs, ride hailing services, parking garages, tolls, etc.) If you expect to spend $300 towards any of these categories of expenses in the next year, you'll easily recoup that portion of the annual fee. That makes the CSR a net-$150 annual fee card. Don't forget that it also comes with $100 reimbursement credit for TSA Precheck or Global Entry. And Priority Pass access to airport lounges around the world. Even if you're not a jetsetter who can take advantage of these benefits, the CSR has a lot of other cardholder benefits that can justify the price, including car rental and trip delay insurance, and merchandise purchase and price protection. For example, I purchased an iPad back in March for $400, the same model recently dropped in price to $300, and I was able to get price protection claim approved for $100 back. I feel that's just one of the ways I can recoup the $450 annual fee, maybe come out ahead. Meanwhile, I've pocketed the signup bonus and earn 3x on travel and dining spending.

Worst case scenario, you use 45,000 UR points from the signup bonus as a statement credit to offset the $450 annual fee, and you still come out ahead with 5,000 UR points left and $300 in travel credit, and a card with better earning bonuses for travel and dining than your CSP.

1) When is the $450 due? Will the $300 credit post before the fee is due?

2) I already have precheck so that doesn't sway me.

3) If I use my SPG points to stay at the swan/dolphin can I use this card to pay the resort fees, in order to get to the $300 credit? I could also pay oop for a flight which would hit that number to.

I guess I'm wondering if I can make this card worth it seeing as we don't rent cars and I'm trying not to pay oop for the travel expenses. I was leaning more toward the freedom for the 5% on the different categories which seem more like everyday type purchases.

Hope this makes sense, thank you for helping me out! :)

The annual fee typically posts just before the close of your first statement. The travel credit is available as soon as you get your card and will post as a statement credit whenever you make any charges that code as "travel" until the $300 credit is used up. The travel credit renews ever membership year.

3) If I use my SPG points to stay at the swan/dolphin can I use this card to pay the resort fees, in order to get to the $300 credit? I could also pay oop for a flight which would hit that number to.

Yes, resort fees and flights should code as travel and credit against the $300. Relatedly, a lot of people who stay at Disney resort hotels charge everything (e.g. food, merchandise) to their rooms so they can pay off the charges at the front desk with their CSR (or other high earning travel rewards card) and earn the 3x bonus. I'm not sure if you can do that at the Swan/Dolphin.

I guess I'm wondering if I can make this card worth it seeing as we don't rent cars and I'm trying not to pay oop for the travel expenses. I was leaning more toward the freedom for the 5% on the different categories which seem more like everyday type purchases.

Great info. Just wondering when do you actually start booking your flights hotels etc? Also do you do them in a certain order, say flights first. And what if you only have a year , is it still doable...Thanks

@Tikitoi - The moment the flights are available to book is when I book them. Many airlines will only release a small number, sometimes just 1 or 2, first class award seats. DH has decided if we are playing this game then he won't fly in economy for flights longer than 2 1/2 hours :rolleyes: I have to jump on them asap to get 2 seats in first. Generally, our vacation dates are not flexible since our big trip each year is with Adventures by Disney and we have to get the flights for the specific dates before and after the ABD trip. I usually do flights first and then hotel if we are doing a pre or post stay. However, when we start booking for our Bora Bora trip in 2020 that will likely be reversed since we want over-water bungalows and finding the availability on points is tough.

Oh yes, it is certainly do-able and we've done plenty of quick getaway trips with much less than a year of planning and found award flights. But at this stage of the game we usually have enough points in multiple programs like Chase UR, Amex MR, Amex SPG, Citi Thank You, American Airline, British Airways, United and Delta. So that if plan A doesn't work out, I can go to plan B. In addition, we hoard our $200 - $250 airline credits in gift cards from the high end premium cards like the Amex Plat and Citi Prestige so they act as a another back up plan.

This came in handy when we got tickets to go see Hamilton in San Francisco for next month. When I looked for flights from Florida to SFO there was nothing available on points in first. So we used Thank You Points to buy 2 one way tix from MIA-SFO and then used AA gift cards to buy 2 one way tix in first back home.

I used the $300 credit for an airline gift card. Bought $300 GC, instant statement credit. Ended up using points for 2 flights, GC for the third. CSR also has 3x points for restaurants as well as travel. I know you have an AP but if you get Universal tickets, Undercover Tourist codes 3x points. Or the resort fees at Swan/Dolphin code 3x points (no you can't charge Park purchases to room there) and the Disney restaurants do too.

ETA: you can also use UR points thru the Chase portal for flights.

Last edited:
But it should cover if an illness occurs that is not a pre-existing condition. So it wouldn't cover if you have diabetes & are hospitalized because of it, but it should cover if you break your leg & cant go.
On this subject- I have a question- so the CSR covers certain things, but hoq does it reimburse for points?

But it should cover if an illness occurs that is not a pre-existing condition. So it wouldn't cover if you have diabetes & are hospitalized because of it, but it should cover if you break your leg & cant go.

Oh definitely. I love the coverage the CSR offers.

With as much as I eat out and for my occasional travel the CSR has just been a perfect fit for me.

On this subject- I have a question- so the CSR covers certain things, but hoq does it reimburse for points?
I'm only guessing but assume they'd credit them back to your account. Last wi tee I booked a hotel near Disneyland (refundable) & changed my mind a few weeks later. I cancelled & the points went back into my account. I know it's not exactly the same.

Oh definitely. I love the coverage the CSR offers.

With as much as I eat out and for my occasional travel the CSR has just been a perfect fit for me.
We don't even eat out much, but still decided $150 a year (450-credit) is worth it. Although I do have to say I was a bit sad to put a $270 restaurant charge on my CSP and not get 3x points (meeting spend on CSP so had to do it)

We don't even eat out much, but still decided $150 a year (450-credit) is worth it. Although I do have to say I was a bit sad to put a $270 restaurant charge on my CSP and not get 3x points (meeting spend on CSP so had to do it)

Totally understandable. I probably should have gotten a CSP and then product changed it to a CFU.

Really? A few recent DPs from reddit seem to indicate the pro-rata refund is still happening...what have you read in terms of the rule change? No refund on the AF in general?

i think it varies, im not sure. but here is the post im referencing to --> https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/58df4e/negative_changes_to_chase_af_refund_policy/
im not even sure if it applies to the Ink line. I couldnt find a CIP terms and conditions online so i couldnt get a definite answer.

Totally understandable. I probably should have gotten a CSP and then product changed it to a CFU.

There is an exception to applying for a CFU/CF. I know a few months ago, if you qualify in branch, there was a 30k with $500 spendings. To me, thats worth a pull alone.

I am booking a resort reservation for Punta Cana and there is one price for non-refundable and then another price for refundable with 3 days notice. If I put the resort stay on my CSR, do I need the refundable pricing or if something happens I need to cancel the trip, can I just file with Chase? We are taking my mom who is 74 with us.

you file it through visa i believe(eclaimsonline.com). Im actually going through the process right now as my grandma passes away and i was suppose to go to Japan. I booked with LCC so those tickets are non-refundable.
Some things to note while going through the process, you need to make an attempt to cancel the reservation even if you know you cant cancel it. I asked chase benefits how exactly do i prove that as both airlines said to quote them on the conditions of carriage. They said that is fine.

@belle1986 I don't rent cars either and try to not spend OOP for most of my travel. My $300 gets credited pretty quickly as either a DVA credit or just in tolls. The travel credit is issued as you spend in travel related categories. So, my first $25 in tolls will show up and be credited immediately on my statement.

None, the less, 50,000 UR points are worth $750 in the UR portal. You could pay for your Swan/Dolphin stay through the UR portal, with the 50,000 points, get the $300 travel credit in the process and earn more SPG points for the stay. So, you'd be getting over $1,050 worth of travel expenses, saving the SPG points you have for another vacation, earning more SPG points on this one for $150. Anytime someone says to me, "Hey if you give me $150, I'll give you $1050 to spend on stuff you were going to do anyhow." My answer is yes please, where do I sign.

Then, in a year when the AF rolls around again you product change your CSR to a Freedom or CFU. I wouldn't waste a Chase application on the $150 that the Freedom card will get me, when I can easily get $1050 instead.

The Freedom 5% is very valuable and we max those out every quarter. If you max it out every quarter for a whole year you'd get 30,000 UR points and would have spent $6,000 to do so. With the CSR, you are spending $4,000 and getting 50,000 UR points in 3 months. Hope this helps.

There is an exception to applying for a CFU/CF. I know a few months ago, if you qualify in branch, there was a 30k with $500 spendings. To me, thats worth a pull alone.

I tried in branch asking specifically for that but no dice for me. Oh well, at least I tried!

@belle1986
None, the less, 50,000 UR points are worth $750 in the UR portal. You could pay for your Swan/Dolphin stay through the UR portal, with the 50,000 points, get the $300 travel credit in the process and earn more SPG points for the stay. So, you'd be getting over $1,050 worth of travel expenses, saving the SPG points you have for another vacation, earning more SPG points on this one for $150. Anytime someone says to me, "Hey if you give me $150, I'll give you $1050 to spend on stuff you were going to do anyhow." My answer is yes please, where do I sign.
wait..... I'm trying to follow your advice here- you're saying book swolphin thru UR portal,using points or money? If you're booking on points,how are you getting the $300 credit? And likewise,how are you getting any SPG points for booking thru UR portal (all dependent on inventory available too) I like your thinking, and would love to utilize it myself, but how? ALSO....anyone know if parking fees at Swolphin would show up as travel fees on the CSR? I was thinking of booking a room,(on points) but I need one night parking(25) a rollout bed(25) and the resort fee is 28..... would those 3 fees categorize as travel spend,making them credit back as part of the $300?

Just wanted to post an update for anyone looking to redeem UR points to book a Disney hotel. Last time I did this I had to call Chase to get the "vendor confirmation number" as the confirmation number on the email I received from Chase confirming my trip was not recognized by Disney. Once I had that number I had to call Disney and have them convert that to a Disney booking number to link in MDE.

This time around, I figured I'd at least try entering the hotel confirmation number shown on my confirmation email from Chase. The Disney site accepted it and is showing the reservation details. Looks like they may have updated something in the UR portal so this time I had immediate access to the correct number. Definitely less calls to make this time around. That makes me very happy!

I tried skimming through, so sorry if I missed it. For Freedom restaurants next quarter - does anybody know if restaurants inside of the Disneyland park post as restaurants for the 5% back? TIA!

@belle1986 I don't rent cars either and try to not spend OOP for most of my travel. My $300 gets credited pretty quickly as either a DVA credit or just in tolls. The travel credit is issued as you spend in travel related categories. So, my first $25 in tolls will show up and be credited immediately on my statement.

Then, in a year when the AF rolls around again you product change your CSR to a Freedom or CFU. I wouldn't waste a Chase application on the $150 that the Freedom card will get me, when I can easily get $1050 instead.

The Freedom 5% is very valuable and we max those out every quarter. If you max it out every quarter for a whole year you'd get 30,000 UR points and would have spent $6,000 to do so. With the CSR, you are spending $4,000 and getting 50,000 UR points in 3 months. Hope this helps.

Ok so after y'all have explained the $450 sounds a little less extreme. If Im understanding correctly to go forward with this card I need to contact Chase and have them upgrade my current CSP card to the CSR, instead of outright applying? Then after 1 yr downgrade it to a freedom to get the 5% categories.
Sorry if I'm not following along.

Just wanted to post an update for anyone looking to redeem UR points to book a Disney hotel. Last time I did this I had to call Chase to get the "vendor confirmation number" as the confirmation number on the email I received from Chase confirming my trip was not recognized by Disney. Once I had that number I had to call Disney and have them convert that to a Disney booking number to link in MDE.

This time around, I figured I'd at least try entering the hotel confirmation number shown on my confirmation email from Chase. The Disney site accepted it and is showing the reservation details. Looks like they may have updated something in the UR portal so this time I had immediate access to the correct number. Definitely less calls to make this time around. That makes me very happy!
awesome!

We are renting DVC vacation points to stay in a 2BR villa at the Beach Club for 14 days in November 2018. I have to make a payment of about $8400 on December 1st via PayPal to cover point rental: here is what I was contemplating.

I will be under 5/24 in September... Open Ink Preferred and CSR. Put $5,000 onto Ink via Paypal - 80,000 pts Put remainder on CSR via Paypal and charge whatever else to meet $4000 minimum spend - 50,000 pts. I will have to pay 2.9% fee but figure it's worth it to get all of the points.

We will need to cover about $1500 in airfare via JetBlue plus $500 or so in upgrades to leg room - do you think the 138,000 UR pts will cover this if I book via the Chase travel portal with the pts? JetBlue is the only airline we'll consider flying for this trip, as the only other airlines flying direct BOS to MCO are Delta and Spirit. We'll be traveling with a 4 year old and a 12 month old, so need to fly nonstop for my sanity and theirs LOL.

I was then planning on using the $300 travel credit toward our car rental.

Any better ideas/things I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter