I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those you have booked SW with your UR points, if the fare drops, are you credited $ that you have to use on SW? I am hesitant to use Chase since if I use my SW points directly, I get the points right back I need my SW RR account.

I am under 5/24...However, I just got the CIP in April 2017. My credit score is over 800. I am guessing the issue is that I have too much credit on other cards that needs to be moved around...I have CIP, CSR and CSP. And an AU on a CF. I'd like to let the app ride and not have to call but I will if it betters my chances of approval.
I'm thinking about applying for both SW cards but afraid of this. DH has CSP & CSR with a pretty high line of credit between them. I'm afraid he'll get denied for that reason. And how do I apply for both? Because if he's denied & I call recon, won't they know he applied for both?

I'm thinking about applying for both SW cards but afraid of this. DH has CSP & CSR with a pretty high line of credit between them. I'm afraid he'll get denied for that reason. And how do I apply for both? Because if he's denied & I call recon, won't they know he applied for both?

I don't know about applying for two cards at once (have never done that) but I have called Chase several times after submitting an application and getting the "we'll let you know" message and it turned out that they wanted to re-allocate some credit from an existing card to the new card. It was pretty painless.

I applied for both, personal, I had to use 2 different browsers. I have 4 credit cards with high limits and I got another high limit on the first one and only $3,500 on the second one.

I am under 5/24...However, I just got the CIP in April 2017. My credit score is over 800. I am guessing the issue is that I have too much credit on other cards that needs to be moved around...I have CIP, CSR and CSP. And an AU on a CF. I'd like to let the app ride and not have to call but I will if it betters my chances of approval.
Let 'er ride!

I'm 4/24 and want 1 last Chase card before starting to apply for other cards. I have Freedom Unlimited & CSR. I'm thinking the CSP 50,000 UR bonus + annual fee waived is my best bet right now. (I intend to keep my CSR so I will transfer the bonus points from CSP to CSR & close CSP before the annual fee hits.) Sound like a solid plan?

We live in Oklahoma, we sometimes drive to Dallas to fly since that can save us some money (4 people). We mostly fly SW, but lately AA has had better pricing.

Love to hear your thoughts whenever you get a chance. I'd like to get our family of 6 to Hawaii but I really am not sure how. We typically fly SW but since that won't work for Hawaii, I'm kinda clueless.

Following up on @jhoannam's and @wendow's plans to fly to Hawaii. I’ll preface any further suggestions with a few notes. We’re in the Bay Area and fly out of SFO, which has a lot of flights headed direct to Hawaii. The two carriers we tend to fly are United, because SFO is a UA hub, and Hawaiian Airlines, my wife’s much preferred airlines to Hawaii. (Both airlines have cards with generous signup offers right now.) So I’m much more familiar with flying to Hawaii on UA and HA than American, Delta, or Virgin America/Alaska.

In the last couple of years, we’ve been flying more on HA; unfortunately, HA doesn’t service DEN, OKC or DFW as far as I know. I know Southwest has a lot of routes to California (or even LAS), so if booking your flights separately – first on SW using your CPs to fly out West, then another airline to Hawaii – is an option, I might have more ideas. I know this can be an inconvenience, but sometimes booking this way is cheaper than a single itinerary with a stopover.

I applied for the SW premier and got the 30 days message. What to do? I am under 5/24 and haven't received the bonus on a premier since March 2015.

At least it's not the dreaded 7-10 days message. If you don't want to call in, call the automated application status number to check if you've been approved over the next few days. I'd agree that the hold is probably just to verify identity or move around credit lines. Good luck!

Following up on @jhoannam's and @wendow's plans to fly to Hawaii. I’ll preface any further suggestions with a few notes. We’re in the Bay Area and fly out of SFO, which has a lot of flights headed direct to Hawaii. The two carriers we tend to fly are United, because SFO is a UA hub, and Hawaiian Airlines, my wife’s much preferred airlines to Hawaii. (Both airlines have cards with generous signup offers right now.) So I’m much more familiar with flying to Hawaii on UA and HA than American, Delta, or Virgin America/Alaska.

In the last couple of years, we’ve been flying more on HA; unfortunately, HA doesn’t service DEN, OKC or DFW as far as I know. I know Southwest has a lot of routes to California (or even LAS), so if booking your flights separately – first on SW using your CPs to fly out West, then another airline to Hawaii – is an option, I might have more ideas. I know this can be an inconvenience, but sometimes booking this way is cheaper than a single itinerary with a stopover.

At least it's not the dreaded 7-10 days message. If you don't want to call in, call the automated application status number to check if you've been approved over the next few days. I'd agree that the hold is probably just to verify identity or move around credit lines. Good luck!
Has anyone done flights with multiple airlines. I understood it was risky as if one flight is delayed, you have no recourse if you miss the second since they are different airlines.

I should add up my southwest savings at some point! I if the companion pass for nearly two years and then redeemed I don't even know how many flights. I know I've bought 5 roundtrips between now and the end of the year on points.

I know the hotel question wasn't for me, but I've found Starwood to be the absolute best redemption value.

If you don't travel for work where you're essentially getting free points then your best bets IMO are sign-up bonuses and shopping portals.

I use the Chase ultimate rewards shopping portal for nearly everything I've bought online which added up to an extra 60,000 points last year.
can you tell me about this shopping portal? I have sw chase card, love it... we use it for everything to get points, but I have not used shopping portal...

Flying to SFO from Dallas is pretty inexpensive, our kids are actually flying that route tomorrow to spend a few weeks with their grandparents. We got one SW ticket for 4,400 miles. The other flights were AA for $104.

Flying to SFO from Dallas is pretty inexpensive, our kids are actually flying that route tomorrow to spend a few weeks with their grandparents. We got one SW ticket for 4,400 miles. The other flights were AA for $104.

If you’re able to fly Hawaiian, you might really enjoy the experience. This is where HA flies direct: https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/destinations/north-america HA is based in Hawaii and its flights are crewed mostly by Hawaii-locals who usually convey that warm “Aloha” spirit right when you get on board. The planes tend to be newer Airbus 330 with personal screens, USB ports, and a good selection of free entertainment. You are served a complimentary meal, and flight attendants come around a few times offering complimentary soft drinks (and a round of alcoholic drinks).

If you do decide to fly Hawaiian, I'd suggest you and/or your spouse consider applying for the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard for the bonus miles and benefits to bring down the cost of your trip. (Maybe after you’re over 5/24.)

Right now, there’s a direct link to a higher signup offer of 50,000 HawaiianMiles after spending $1,000 within 90 days of opening the card: Direct link. You get one complimentary checked bag for the primary cardholder and a one-time 50% off companion fare discount. There is a $89 annual fee for the card (not waived for the first year). If you decide to keep the card after the first year, you'll also get 5,000 HawaiianMiles each anniversary if you've spent $10,000 or more on the card the previous year, and you'll get $100 off a companion ticket. (The standard offer is 35,000 miles, but you can usually get the 50,000 miles offer any time by creating a dummy booking on the HA website if not through the direct link.)

One additional “neat” feature of the Hawaiian Airlines MasterCard is it allows the cardholder to “pool” miles. Anyone – friends, family – can transfer all their miles to the cardholder free of charge. We even signed up our toddler for a HawaiianMiles account so she can earn miles on her flights and we’ll just transfer them all to mom.

You'll need to set up a HawaiianMiles account to login to and search the awards page. (If you sign up before applying for the MasterCard, enter your number on the application. If you’re not a member when you apply, a number will be provided to you.) Awards are priced by Coach Super Saver, Coach Saver, Coach Flex, First Class Saver, and First Class Flex tiers. The awards table for mainland to Hawaii flights looks something like this:

North America To/From Hawaii (One Way)
20,000 (Coach Super Saver); 30,000 (Coach Saver); 40,000 (Coach Flex); 40,000 (First Class Saver); 80,000 (First Class Flex)

You can also use HawaiianMiles to fly interisland, if you plan to island hop during your trip. See: http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2218/kw/award chart

If I recall correctly, you can pay for tickets in miles, cash, or a mix of miles and cash. There are no blackout dates for using miles and award availability is pretty good outside of spring break and the holidays. However, the lowest Super Saver awards can be hard to book. If your search is not showing any awards options, it means that flight’s award availability is sold out. HA opens up seat availability 330 days in advance, so it’s best to book any award travel as soon as possible.

You can't product change a co-branded card like United to one of the Chase Sapphire or Freedom cards. United does have a no-fee MileagePlus card that you can product change the MPE to... Not sure about SW.

Thanks - I just opened the United card a few months ago so I have a while to figure out what to do with it before the AF hits. PC to the no-fee card is probably the easiest way to keep the credit . . . my other plan was to see if Chase would transfer the credit limit to a different card. Not sure how likely that is to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter