I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: previous discussions regarding paying for a cruise with Disney gift card or multiple credit cards. Apparently you can do it thru Costco. Still not sure about booking thru Chase...
Right now my plan will be to get Disney gc's as cheaply as possible plus Arrival Plus for travel credit. Will do further research on Chase.
Yes, this is how I do my Disney cruises. I've paid almost all through DVA (with gift cards) but will now have to call in gift cards to costco. You can also pay online with a credit card (I did this so CSR insurance would kick in). Costco makes it pretty easy and the cash back is fantastic.

Agreed. I'll never part with the CSR so long as I can redeem UR points earned across Chase cards through it at 1.5x.

Same here! I can honestly say that if the rumors of being unable to transfer from Freedom, CFR and Ink cards to CSR happen, I will re-think keeping the CSR. I would at that point go all in on maximizing Amex MR. I would see no reason to ever use my Freedom or CFU again.

Agreed. I'll never part with the CSR so long as I can redeem UR points earned across Chase cards through it at 1.5x.

The problem is that connexions is awful. Frequently, I find prices higher on the portal than direct. Also, they can only book into basic economy. With basic economy moving fleet wide to AA in September, this is a problem for me because I'm PHX based. No status mileage accrual, middle seats, no carry on. No thanks. I would pay the $20 up charge for regular economy, but connexions acts like you're speaking Russian after a 40 minute hold. Irrops or schedule changes? Forget it. They are useless.

Also, the thing where they don't transmit your booking to hotels until a few days before the stay is stupid. Not usually a big deal, but if you want to ask for connecting rooms or whatever, the hotel has never heard of you.

Connexions seriously diminishes the value of 1.5 to me and is probably the reason I will be just fine with CSP when my annual fee comes due on CSR.

The problem is that connexions is awful. Frequently, I find prices higher on the portal than direct. Also, they can only book into basic economy. With basic economy moving fleet wide to AA in September, this is a problem for me because I'm PHX based. No status mileage accrual, middle seats, no carry on. No thanks. I would pay the $20 up charge for regular economy, but connexions acts like you're speaking Russian after a 40 minute hold. Irrops or schedule changes? Forget it. They are useless.

Also, the thing where they don't transmit your booking to hotels until a few days before the stay is stupid. Not usually a big deal, but if you want to ask for connecting rooms or whatever, the hotel has never heard of you.

Connexions seriously diminishes the value of 1.5 to me and is probably the reason I will be just fine with CSP when my annual fee comes due on CSR.

This is interesting. I've only been seriously chasing credit card travel rewards for about a year, and so far my strategy has been to use UR points for hotels and MR points for flights. So far, I've had no need for the hotel to have the booking in advance, but I have two rooms booked at a Universal hotel (I can't even recall which one) for next Feb. that I'd like to be somewhere near each other. I wonder can the hotel access your booking if you call, even if Chase hasn't transmitted it?

This is interesting. I've only been seriously chasing credit card travel rewards for about a year, and so far my strategy has been to use UR points for hotels and MR points for flights. So far, I've had no need for the hotel to have the booking in advance, but I have two rooms booked at a Universal hotel (I can't even recall which one) for next Feb. that I'd like to be somewhere near each other. I wonder can the hotel access your booking if you call, even if Chase hasn't transmitted it?

I have to admit I haven't followed the hotel piece as closely as the basic economy problem, and my information may be a little stale. But here is a blog entry from mommy points about one aspect of the problem that may be of interest here -- not being able to get a WDW confirmation number for chase UR bookings at Disney resorts in time to get advance fastpasses. Some comments suggest a workaround though, but even if there is it just is another indication of the cumbersome and archaic systems connexions uses.

http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/2017/06/28/points-you-dont-want-to-use-for-disney/

I have to admit I haven't followed the hotel piece as closely as the basic economy problem, and my information may be a little stale. But here is a blog entry from mommy points about one aspect of the problem that may be of interest here -- not being able to get a WDW confirmation number for chase UR bookings at Disney resorts in time to get advance fastpasses. Some comments suggest a workaround though, but even if there is it just is another indication of the cumbersome and archaic systems connexions uses.

http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/2017/06/28/points-you-dont-want-to-use-for-disney/
The Disney Wholesale Direct number someone listed in the comments of that post worked great for me. Less than 5 minutes on the phone, I had my MDE number and they adjusted my reservation to add DS (booked for 2 adults, as adding a kid on Chase increased the price)

That's good to hear. It sounds like WN flyers do pretty well with the 1.5 cent redemptions. I think the breakeven for keeping CSR over CSP or Ink preferred is only about 22,000 points. In other words, your savings on the first 22,000 points you redeem in a year at 1.5 cents is offset by the $55 effective annual fee difference. Once you exceed that, you save $25 per 10,000 points redeemed for 1.5 cents.

So, it really doesn't take that many 1.5 cent redemptions to justify keeping the CSR. I just wish they would deal with the basic economy thing.

That's good to hear. It sounds like WN flyers do pretty well with the 1.5 cent redemptions. I think the breakeven for keeping CSR over CSP or Ink preferred is only about 22,000 points. In other words, your savings on the first 22,000 points you redeem in a year at 1.5 cents is offset by the $55 effective annual fee difference. Once you exceed that, you save $25 per 10,000 points redeemed for 1.5 cents.

So, it really doesn't take that many 1.5 cent redemptions to justify keeping the CSR. I just wish they would deal with the basic economy thing.
I have booked air thru Chase portal once, it was cheaper than any airfare I could get on AA (booked 2 thru Chase, 1 thru AA with giftcard) otherwise, mostly hotels, including Disney.

Quick question...I opened a CFU in May, AMEX Hilton Honor in June and an IHG in July. And it was saying I had opened 4 cards on my Chase account. But I still went ahead and got a Discover IT as of yesterday. Now I want a CSR. Because at least one was the IHG there shouldn't be no issues? Probably won't apply until October or November but there shouldn't really be no issues despite the other cards I opened...?

Quick question...I opened a CFU in May, AMEX Hilton Honor in June and an IHG in July. And it was saying I had opened 4 cards on my Chase account. But I still went ahead and got a Discover IT as of yesterday. Now I want a CSR. Because at least one was the IHG there shouldn't be no issues? Probably won't apply until October or November but there shouldn't really be no issues despite the other cards I opened...?

There is some confusion on the point. Many blogs and others say "IHG is not subject to 5/24." This only means you can get it if over 5/24. But it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't count toward the 5. This is a bit of a subtlety that is not always communicated by bloggers too well.

The Disney Wholesale Direct number someone listed in the comments of that post worked great for me. Less than 5 minutes on the phone, I had my MDE number and they adjusted my reservation to add DS (booked for 2 adults, as adding a kid on Chase increased the price)

Same experience here. Other than an extra phone call it's been just as easy as booking direct with disney. I'm in the process of booking my 3rd Disney hotel with UR points and have had no issues so far.

i have a walmart.com purchase that posted 3 days later. Ironically, i got the item before it post lol. It makes me wonder if they actually charge it when the item ships/arrives so it takes longer.
All my other ones posted within a day, but all of them posted($250 x3 (CF, CFU, CSR). seems like gift card post quickly but items post slowly.
probably just a glitch. It should post soon!
So I just bought $150 in Walmart GCs for the 10x UR points. Couple days later, PCd my CSP to Freedom. I should still get 10x right? Cause it just posted yesterday & got 1x.

Same here! I can honestly say that if the rumors of being unable to transfer from Freedom, CFR and Ink cards to CSR happen, I will re-think keeping the CSR. I would at that point go all in on maximizing Amex MR. I would see no reason to ever use my Freedom or CFU again.

Can a Chase Ink transfer UR points to CSR? We plan on keeping one CSR for my husband, downgrading mine, but I will apply for a Chase Ink (is it plus) for my eBay business. That would really stink if the ability to transfer went away - how strong are the rumors of that happening?

We just returned from our Europe trip. We booked Norwegian Air through the portal as they were the cheapest flights I could find to anywhere in Europe for August, then with the 1.5 redemption it was great. Award tickets for a family of 6 are darn near impossible (and I've found that trying to coordinate award travel with non-award travel is a pain) so UR points have really opened up possibilities for us.

Can a Chase Ink transfer UR points to CSR? We plan on keeping one CSR for my husband, downgrading mine, but I will apply for a Chase Ink (is it plus) for my eBay business. That would really stink if the ability to transfer went away - how strong are the rumors of that happening?

We just returned from our Europe trip. We booked Norwegian Air through the portal as they were the cheapest flights I could find to anywhere in Europe for August, then with the 1.5 redemption it was great. Award tickets for a family of 6 are darn near impossible (and I've found that trying to coordinate award travel with non-award travel is a pain) so UR points have really opened up possibilities for us.
FYI, I think the only Inks open for apps are Preferred & Cash. Yes, you can transfer to your personal CSR. Now- IDK if you can transfer to a spouse's CSR, maybe someone else can jump in. Worse comes to worst you can get your own CSR, dump DH's and bag another bonus (I assume you're under 5/24. Also keep in mind 1/30- only 1 Chase Application within 30 days if you want a Chase business card.)

ETA: still rumors at this point, no one knows if they're substantiated yet but last time Chase made a change to the UR program it was overnight so that's how fast it could change.

This is just my understanding: You're 5/24 now. You can get IHG over 5/24 because that doesn't matter to being approved for IHG but all cards but business cards count towards your 5/24 status for CSR. So sorry!!!

FYI, I think the only Inks open for apps are Preferred & Cash. Yes, you can transfer to your personal CSR. Now- IDK if you can transfer to a spouse's CSR, maybe someone else can jump in. Worse comes to worst you can get your own CSR, dump DH's and bag another bonus (I assume you're under 5/24. Also keep in mind 1/30- only 1 Chase Application within 30 days if you want a Chase business card.)

ETA: still rumors at this point, no one knows if they're substantiated yet but last time Chase made a change to the UR program it was overnight so that's how fast it could change.

Yes. You can transfer Chase Ink points to your or your spouse's CSR. You should be able to move your points to anyone who shares your household address.

You'll want to sign up for the Chase Ink Preferred (CIP) because that's the one with the big 80,000 UR signup bonus. You can no longer sign up for the Ink Plus. You can chose to merge your personal accounts to your Ink business, although I keep them as separate logins to avoid technical issues like with Chase Pay and being forced to use the Ink website's user interface.

There are reports that transferring UR points from your CIP to your CSR results in an unexpected error. I've encountered the same error. If that happens, you can secure message or call a Chase customer service representative and ask that they move your points over, and it's done. But since I tend to move my CIP points over to my CSR when the points post every month, reaching out to Chase every month would become a real hassle. I'm able to transfer my Ink points to my wife's CSR with no errors. From my wife's CSR, I'm able to move those points to my CSR if I want with no problems.

Changes to the ability to transfer UR points between Chase cards and account holders, and redemption rates among the different cards are rumors at this point. A few months ago, Chase sent out a survey to gauge customer reaction to various changes (none of them good) to the UR program. Jamie Dimon, chairman and CEO of Chase, disclosed at the beginning of the year that the CSR cost his bank $200-300 million to launch and that they were expecting good returns on the card. A few weeks ago, the WSJ and Business Insider reported that Chase is not making the kind of money they expected from the card; basically, not enough people are keeping balances on their CSRs so the bank is not earning as much interest. Word is Chase is looking to cut $200 million in costs related to the unit that manages the CSR. Whether that means lowering the signup bonus on the CSR or maybe the CSP, raising the annual fee, lowering the redemption rate, reducing or eliminating some other benefits, limiting the ability to transfer points between no-AF cards like the Freedom and FU to premium cards like the CSP and CSR -- it's all speculation, but possible. With the first anniversary of the CSR this month, and a lot of early adopters' second-year AFs hitting, Chase is probably going to take a hard look at the numbers of retentions vs. cancelations and make some decisions based on that.

Chase basically wrote checks for $1650 to tens of thousands of previously non premium card holders, without doing enough to make it a top of wallet everyday card. Amex also undercut Sapphire Reserve's top of wallet potential by launching 5x on airfare. Whenever deals come along that are too sweet, they tend to be unsustainable. Amex learned that too and had to backtrack within a year on 2 cent per point redemptions on Amex biz plat.

I suspect we will see some change after annual fees for first wavers. The fact that Amex restricts 1.5 cent redemptions to one airline of choice for economy and does it in the form of a rebate gives a model that Chase is surely aware of. My guess is there will be real, but incremental, changes similar to the change of the annual credit to card member year. The problem is chase needs to differentiate reserve from CSP and they aren't building a network of awesome lounges like Amex.

Last edited:
Chase basically wrote checks for $1650 to tens of thousands of previously non premium card holders, without doing enough to make it a top of wallet everyday card. Amex also undercut Sapphire Reserve's top of wallet potential by launching 5x on airfare. Whenever deals come along that are too sweet, they tend to be unsustainable. Amex learned that too and had to backtrack within a year on 2 cent per point redemptions on Amex biz plat.

I suspect we will see some change after annual fees for first wavers. The fact that Amex restricts 1.5 cent redemptions to one airline of choice for economy and does it in the form of a rebate gives a model that Chase is surely aware of. My guess is there will be real, but incremental, changes similar to the change of the annual credit to card member year. The problem is chase needs to differentiate reserve from CSP and they aren't building a network of awesome lounges like Amex.

i believe they are trying to cut things internally. Everyone is getting into the game and the one place suffering right now is the Priority pass Lounges... it used to be like, 3 cards. now its at 5 and more and more CC companies are coming out with their own edition of the CSR. US bank with its attitude card, BOA is suppose to come out with one next month to try to get some of the CSR with BOA accounts back to BOA.
im sure we will see more and more of these cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!