I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on venturing into the realm of checking account bonuses. I've noticed tht a lot of them allow a certain amount to be funded by a credit card. Forgive my ignorance: I'm assuming this means what it sounds like - that I would be able to essentially charge that amount to my credit card and it would go into the checking account? This just seems too easy.

How is this handled by credit card providers (particularly Chase)? Do they allow this amount to count towards the minimum spend of a new card?
I am not an expert on all things, but I can tell you that we funded two BMO Harris checking accounts with $1K each using DH's CSR and both posted as purchases. I know there is a risk of them posting as cash advances, so some people lower their cash advance limits, but I didn't do any of that. I know I came across some blogs that had more specifics, so check that for anything you're considering. Worked great for us and, yes, was way too easy! (and, yes, counted towards minimum spend)

I'm planning on venturing into the realm of checking account bonuses. I've noticed tht a lot of them allow a certain amount to be funded by a credit card. Forgive my ignorance: I'm assuming this means what it sounds like - that I would be able to essentially charge that amount to my credit card and it would go into the checking account? This just seems too easy.

How is this handled by credit card providers (particularly Chase)? Do they allow this amount to count towards the minimum spend of a new card?

For the banks that allow it, it really is that easy. I opened a Midwest National Bank checking account and while there was no bonus, I was able to charge $2500 to my new CSR that counted as part of my min spend. Has there been a bonus, even better! You would just want to make sure that the cash advance is set as low as possible on the card so any bank coding that way would get denied.

For the banks that allow it, it really is that easy. I opened a Midwest National Bank checking account and while there was no bonus, I was able to charge $2500 to my new CSR that counted as part of my min spend. Has there been a bonus, even better! You would just want to make sure that the cash advance is set as low as possible on the card so any bank coding that way would get denied.
I did this last year with a credit union that allowed $9k funding on both a checking and savings account. Yup that's right...$18k total. Needless to say that option went away within a month after a few people in a private group I know took advantage of it. They caught on quickly.

California sucks for bank bonuses... :\ it varies by state. some stuff u can read...
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/
DP on cash advanced or purchase --> https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does...dit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/

keep in mind, some accounts do hard pulls... can affect your credit report.

Question...If my current Chase 5% cashback rewards balance was at 71.17 but then we spent an additional $63.41 at a restaurant, so now the cashback rewards balance is 74.88, just wondering how much more do I have to spend to hit the $75. I can definitely see not much spending room. Not really worried about hitting the $75, just wondering how is it computed...

Question...If my current Chase 5% cashback rewards balance was at 71.17 but then we spent an additional $63.41 at a restaurant, so now the cashback rewards balance is 74.88, just wondering how much more do I have to spend to hit the $75. I can definitely see not much spending room. Not really worried about hitting the $75, just wondering how is it computed...

75.00 - 74.88 = 0.12
0.12 / .05 = $2.40

''

Where do you find the exact amount for the 5% bonus? All I see is the bar that goes from 0-$75 but does not give an amount. I thought I would be over, but I keep checking and I am still getting the bonus, but I know I must be close.

At this point my plan is to fly to from EWR to HNL on United, business class, stopping at LAX on the way there and back. This would be July or the month of August (I wish it could be 2018 but I'm sure it will have to be 2019). I'd do a stop for 4 days on both ends in LAX (Disneyland and other destinations), with 7 nights in Hawaii.

I wish I could do a search to see what a Business class reward ticket would be, but since I don't have a United credit card they won't show me. Does anyone think I could get one ticket for 100k miles? I'm hoping it's not 200k since it's multi destination. The goal is to buy two tickets and use miles for the other two. I wonder how long it would take to save that up if I strategically open the right Chase accounts. I don't think AMEX points will help me for United.

Anyone have any input? Thanks! :)

You'll probably be better off looking at them as two separate tickets. You have your EWR to LAX round trip and your LAX to HNL round trip. Doing them this way doesn't force you into just using United for any of the flights. For that matter you could look into the EWR to/from LAX as one ways and use SNA or Long Beach for one or both of the flights depending on where you are staying. LAX to HNL should give you more options aside from just United, though I'm not sure Hawaiian flies nonstop from LAX I can't imagine there's only one airline that flies non stop to HNL from LA since I'm pretty sure I have at least 2-3 options to Hawaii from Seattle.

I agree with @afan completely. You'll want to consider breaking up your trip into two itineraries: EWR<>LAX and LAX<>HNL if you plan to stop over in LA/OC for a few days. EWR (or the greater NYC region)<>LAX is well serviced so you should have some options there. Once you're on the west coast, your flight options to HNL really open up; with LAX being a hub for United, AA, Delta, and Alaska, which all fly routes to HNL, you may have an easier time finding better prices and availability for that portion of your travel. I'm a big fan of Hawaiian Airlines, which also flies LAX<>HNL.

The downside is you're planning to travel in August, which is still considered the peak season for Hawaii travel. This is a time when a lot of families are trying to squeeze in a summer vacation before school starts for their kids and older students are flying to and from the mainland for college. Flying to Hawaii is expensive and there's really no low season, but prices do tend to be less expensive between September through November (except Thanksgiving), and January through April (except the few weeks for spring break) -- basically when kids tend to be in school.

You can check https://www.awardhacker.com/ for an idea of how many points from different frequent flyer programs it'll cost to fly economy, business, or first class on the different carriers from EWR<>LAX<>HNL, as well as what awards points are transferrable to the airlines. You should also sign up for different frequent flyer programs if you haven't already so you can log into the airlines' sites and search for award flights. We're around the time when flights should already be available for next August.

If you're flying exclusively on United, you'll want to focus on MileagePlus, Chase UR, and SPG (or Marriott) points. (Keep in mind that changes are coming to United's MileagePlus program in November: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/united-everyday-awards/) Focus on that list of Chase's 5/24 cards first (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-explained-detail-need-know/) because once you've opened 5 cards in the last 24 months, you won't be able to go back for them or their bonuses for a while (if ever). Then move onto other cards that can help get you to Hawaii. Amex MR points do transfer to Singapore Airlines, ANA, and Air Canada, which are part of the Star Alliance with United, and you can use them to book United award flights to Hawaii (https://millionmilesecrets.com/2017...membership-rewards-points-for-hawaii-flights/). You can even get a better value by booking United award flights through Singapore Airlines. MR points also transfer directly to Hawaiian Airlines, and there's usually a 25% transfer bonus promotion once a year that stretches the value of your MR points to Hawaiian (https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/amex-to-hawaiian-25-percent-bonus/). Watch out for transfer bonuses to other airlines as well. Hawaiian also has its own credit card through Barclaycard, with a 35k miles public offer and a 50k miles offer that's targeted or triggered with a dummy booking. Hawaiian only has first class and main cabin seats, and 50k HawaiianMiles is usually enough for one LAX<>HNL roundtrip ticket in the main cabin (I think first class is something like 160k), but can be lower if you book early enough or higher if you wait too long. Flight (and award) availability for Hawaiian opens up 330 days out, and other airlines also have schedules available as early as a year in advance. Figure out your dates, then find out when's the earliest you can book award travel for those dates, and put it in your calendar.

So like @calypso726 suggested, you should try to plan at least two years out -- accumulate as many points as you can so you have them in place to book as soon as award availability opens for your desired airline.

Last edited:
''

Where do you find the exact amount for the 5% bonus? All I see is the bar that goes from 0-$75 but does not give an amount. I thought I would be over, but I keep checking and I am still getting the bonus, but I know I must be close.

Mine was all the way to the bottom left. Showed me at 74.88

is Capitol One an ok idea for extra cashback for travel? I'm looking for anything that'll boost our savings for purchasing disney tickets at this point, thanks for any advice! We've blown through (for this trip) SPG, some Chase UR,looking for extra savings now.Can I use Chase UR simply for tickets at all?

is Capitol One an ok idea for extra cashback for travel? I'm looking for anything that'll boost our savings for purchasing disney tickets at this point, thanks for any advice! We've blown through (for this trip) SPG, some Chase UR,looking for extra savings now.Can I use Chase UR simply for tickets at all?

I don't have an answer to your question but thought I would mention that my Chase Sapphire Reserve card coded Undercover Tourist as travel and I got triple points when I purchased my tickets through them.

If you're looking for straight up cash back, the highest one I've found so far is Alliant Credit Union's Visa Signature card that is offering 3% on all spend back the first year (+waived $59 AF first year), then it's 2.5% after that. No sign up bonus though, unfortunately.

I've been hitting the checking account bonuses lately and just making the rounds. Chase required a $15K deposit for 6 months, but paid $500. Just moved to Discover, who will pay $200 with a $20K deposit, but no time frame. Capital One is next with $10K deposit for $200 and got $150 from a local bank just for opening an account. I don't think you can repeat any of these deals, as they are for new customers only, but still over $1,000 in bonuses this year.

Have never seen Disney tix on UR portal, but you could buy tix thru Undercover Tourist or LMTclub.com. Both code 3x on CSR (2x on CSP) then you could use UR points for statement credit. Not best return on points but always an option.

Have never seen Disney tix on UR portal, but you could buy tix thru Undercover Tourist or LMTclub.com. Both code 3x on CSR (2x on CSP) then you could use UR points for statement credit. Not best return on points but always an option.
thanks- So I compared the 3 simplest options- BCP, buy gc at grocery-6% back thru Disney site (2A 2ch) = 1441.59 total- Buy gc at Bj's thru UT total 1457.12 or USe CSP and get 2x points back thru UT and that would = how much savings if they chose cashback?

Last edited:
thanks- So I compared the 3 simplest options- BCP, buy gc at grocery-6% back thru Disney site (2A 2ch) = 1441.59 total- Buy gc at Bj's thru UT total 1457.12 or USe CSP and get 2x points back thru UT and that would = how much savings if they chose cashback?

BCP 6% : $1441.59 x .06 = $86.49 , + $15.53 savings up front (make sure you're looking at tax included) = $102.02 cash
CSP : $1457.12 x .02 = $29.14 cash, or x1.25 = $36.43 value thru CSP UR portal booking for travel

Significant difference between those options.

Extra tip: if you sign up for the Mousesavers newsletter you get an additional discount at UT (~3%, clicking through the link in their monthly Mousesavers newsletter that gets emailed to you mid-month). This is not something that works last-minute, since if you sign up now you wouldn't get the next newsletter until mid-October.

Last edited:
Hi all, long time no post! We were at Disney from 8/27-9/3 (we had a great trip, I am going to try my best to write a trip report soon!), then jumped right into a busy back-to-school month. Now I'm trying to get back into my CC/rewards strategy, and catch up on the posts here.

I just applied for the CIP and got the 30-day message. I don't have a legitimate business, just eBay/online sales; I should just let it be, right? Don't call? I would love those 80K UR points but don't want to give Chase any reason to scrutinize the personal accounts I have, or put a red flag on my name for future applications.

My next move after CIP will be to have my wife apply for one of the Sapphire cards, but I have a question. Do AU's count towards the new rule that you can only open one Sapphire card every 24 months, and can only hold one at a time? My wife is an AU on my CSP, which was opened in March 2016. Will she be able to get her own Sapphire card now, or does she have to wait until March 2018 because of the new rule? (I will remove her as AU on my card before she applies for her own.) Also, can you transfer points from a Freedom/FUnlimited to a spouse's Sapphire card if you don't have your own Sapphire card? My wife would not keep her Sapphire card long-term since I am keeping my CSR, but don't know if it would make sense to PC her Sapphire to her own Freedom or just close it and keep her as an AU on my Freedom like we have now.

Hi all, long time no post! We were at Disney from 8/27-9/3 (we had a great trip, I am going to try my best to write a trip report soon!), then jumped right into a busy back-to-school month. Now I'm trying to get back into my CC/rewards strategy, and catch up on the posts here.

I just applied for the CIP and got the 30-day message. I don't have a legitimate business, just eBay/online sales; I should just let it be, right? Don't call? I would love those 80K UR points but don't want to give Chase any reason to scrutinize the personal accounts I have, or put a red flag on my name for future applications.

My next move after CIP will be to have my wife apply for one of the Sapphire cards, but I have a question. Do AU's count towards the new rule that you can only open one Sapphire card every 24 months, and can only hold one at a time? My wife is an AU on my CSP, which was opened in March 2016. Will she be able to get her own Sapphire card now, or does she have to wait until March 2018 because of the new rule? (I will remove her as AU on my card before she applies for her own.) Also, can you transfer points from a Freedom/FUnlimited to a spouse's Sapphire card if you don't have your own Sapphire card? My wife would not keep her Sapphire card long-term since I am keeping my CSR, but don't know if it would make sense to PC her Sapphire to her own Freedom or just close it and keep her as an AU on my Freedom like we have now.

Not sure about the AU and new 24 month limitations. But, my husband has a Freedom card and we have been transferring his points to my CSR every month since he got it about a year ago. He only got a Sapphire card this past month. So you don't need your own Sapphire to transfer points from a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited to a spouse's Sapphire card.

Reactions: Ava
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!