I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Reddit thread? I lurk periodically on various ones for data points but never post. I will upvote though!

I've done a search and haven't found a really good answer for this yet (sorry if I missed it!). I've got a Discover card already, but I'm looking at opening the plain Discover IT card to get the 5% categories. I'm really only interested if I'd get the double cashback for the first year. Does anyone here know if just opening a new card makes it eligible for that promo?

I get nitpicky on the terms where it says 'for new cardmembers only'. If they're trying to get new people then I'd be an existing member, if they just want to issue new accounts, then I'd be a new member. From some of the stuff I could pull online it seems like I'd get it but the latest posts were from the promo's in 2015 which were a little different.

10% back at Target and Amazon is totally worth the hard pull... 5% not at all since we already have Amazon and Target cards, and I have the Freedom for rotating categories the rest of the year.

its only for new cards... i tried getting Discover to match me when i converted my old Discover card into an It card, they wouldnt give me the double cashback. this was like 2 years ago when they started doing the double cashback.

Which Reddit thread? I lurk periodically on various ones for data points but never post. I will upvote though!

my guess is /r/churning. ive never actually seen anyone from here post, but i do post here and there all over reddit. My karma is high enough for me to not really care about being downvoted.

Anyone happen to have an idea if the 100K bonus on the Marriott card tends to come around frequently? DH and I both received emails for the 80K, but would hate to miss out on the 100K if it's possible. The last reports I've seen of 100K was in May. I really want to get a card sooner rather than later since I have a good bit of spend to make and want to benefit from a sign-up bonus with that.

Anyone happen to have an idea if the 100K bonus on the Marriott card tends to come around frequently? DH and I both received emails for the 80K, but would hate to miss out on the 100K if it's possible. The last reports I've seen of 100K was in May. I really want to get a card sooner rather than later since I have a good bit of spend to make and want to benefit from a sign-up bonus with that.
I'm hoping it comes back too so I can try and match mine. I got my card about 5 weeks ago...

its only for new cards... i tried getting Discover to match me when i converted my old Discover card into an It card, they wouldnt give me the double cashback. this was like 2 years ago when they started doing the double cashback.

so if you would have opened a new card you would have got the double cashback? that's what i want to do, open a 2nd card.

just keep in mind, it will take a slot if your below 5/24. and it will get u a HP.

Yep, i'm ok with a HP if I can get the 10% cashback on the rotating categories. Just want to makes sure I'm eligible for it on the new card even though I already have a different IT card.

Well if I see a post from any of the names I recognize from here (@peel @amalone1013 @Albort @mhartman09 etc.) I'll make sure to toss an upvote your way! I'd advise everybody else do the same, haha!

Throw my name onto that list: l_a_i_n_ (too many reddit users). I lurk and don't post because /r/churning can be brutal especially with hate towards n00bs and all the fighting for karma. But you might see me on there one day.

Throw my name onto that list: l_a_i_n_ (too many reddit users). I lurk and don't post because /r/churning can be brutal especially with hate towards n00bs and all the fighting for karma. But you might see me on there one day.
I searched for you and was like...whoa I can't find this person anywhere. Now I see you've been a redditor for 9 minutes LOL! Welcome - you've taken the first step to surpassing "lurker" status!

I think it's a bit hard to predict given the Marriott/SPG merger. I think it's been a couple times a year, but who knows if they'll try more often to show Marriott they would be good for long term or they've kind of written it off :confused3

so if you would have opened a new card you would have got the double cashback? that's what i want to do, open a 2nd card.
I tried to figure that out, but couldn't find an answer. I have had a Discover Card for 30+ years. It does have the rotating categories but it's not "DiscoverIt". Please post if you find out, or if you try it.

Speaking of Discover, does anyone know if it counts for Amazon purchase (& bonus) if you "pay with Amazon?" I just made a purchase on a website that had me log in thru Amazon, will I get extra cashback?

I think it's a bit hard to predict given the Marriott/SPG merger. I think it's been a couple times a year, but who knows if they'll try more often to show Marriott they would be good for long term or they've kind of written it off :confused3

Thinking I'll go ahead and take the 80K for myself.

I searched for you and was like...whoa I can't find this person anywhere. Now I see you've been a redditor for 9 minutes LOL! Welcome - you've taken the first step to surpassing "lurker" status!

I've been meaning to sign up for months, really; and then I told myself that I should sign up just to try to be the 100,000th churning subscriber -- but real life you know? You all finally gave me a reason to do it now that I know there are friendly people to look out for.

I've been meaning to sign up for months, really; and then I told myself that I should sign up just to try to be the 100,000th churning subscriber
See, now that would have immediately gotten you enough karma to post whatever referrals you wanted!

I tried to figure that out, but couldn't find an answer. I have had a Discover Card for 30+ years. It does have the rotating categories but it's not "DiscoverIt". Please post if you find out, or if you try it.

Speaking of Discover, does anyone know if it counts for Amazon purchase (& bonus) if you "pay with Amazon?" I just made a purchase on a website that had me log in thru Amazon, will I get extra cashback?

Didn't know they still left old cards out there. I assumed when they rolled mine into the new IT program they did the same for everyone and retired the old products. But if you have the rotating categories yours was a newer card I guess. Guess I just had one of the products they wanted to retire. I'm not complaining, the new card is a much better card (full 1% on everything, not just after the 3k spend) but I assumed it was because they wanted to push everyone into the new stuff to make it easier.

I haven't done the deep dive yet, since you folks are up on the deals I thought I'd try here before getting lost in Google. I'm not concerned with the HP, until earlier this year I hadn't opened a new card in about 5 years I think, but I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of applying only to find out I wouldn't get the double cashback... that's the only reason I'm interested. It'd be a wasted inquiry.

I'm gpc0321 on Reddit.

I finished my Hyatt spend today and my statement will close 11/1. Should get the points in time for our December stay at the MCO Hyatt. Yay!

Working on the AmEx Hilton HHonors spend now. I was going to abandon it and just focus on cash back from my current cards, but I've got $325 of the $1,000 already spent. I'll go ahead and get that for the 50k points. I need to be taking advantage of my Discover's cashback match before it's up, and the 5X Freedom category at Wal-Mart since that's where I do most of my grocery (and other) shopping.

I really want the Chase AARP card for that $200 sign-up bonus, but I just opened 2 Chase cards last month (it has been over 30 days ago though!). Chase has never denied me, and if they did, I'd probably crawl under my bed and cry (LOL!)

I got my Chase t-shirt in the mail today. I'm wearing it. It's the best. :)

I've been meaning to sign up for months, really; and then I told myself that I should sign up just to try to be the 100,000th churning subscriber -- but real life you know? You all finally gave me a reason to do it now that I know there are friendly people to look out for.

/r/churning has already passed the 100k mark. I must say, /r/churning is where i started to learn about credit cards and travel with it. i owe all my points to them... :]

/r/churning has already passed the 100k mark. I must say, /r/churning is where i started to learn about credit cards and travel with it. i owe all my points to them... :]

I know. I missed it! I loaded my app this past weekend and was surprised it passed 100k. I knew it was coming, but really seemed to pick up speed as it got closer to 100k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter