I missed the SW 60k offer

teller80

DIS Veteran
I'm just wondering if that was a pretty regular deal that will be offered again?

No. I have never seen it before. 40,000-50,000 is the typical offer.

The offer expired yesterday (June 30th).

The 60K offer is still valid. Simply click on any of the 40K offers you see. When that comes up, change the text in the address bar that reads "...40kPlus..." to "...60kPlus..." Hit enter. The 60K offer will come up.

I'm hoping they offer it first quarter 2018. I'd really like CP for 2018-19.
Could you remind me how this works to best effect? You get 2 cards, spend the requisite $ amount in the first 3 months, and then you can qualify for a companion pass. But I can't remember how people do it where you can get almost 2 years of the companion pass by timing it just right. What is the best timing for getting the most out of your companion pass?

Edited: For anyone else interested in the deal where 1 person gets 2 cards, accrues 2 sets of points and then uses them toward a companion pass, PLUS gets almost 2 years out of that CP, here is an explanation for how to do it: https://thepointsguy.com/2015/09/how-to-earn-the-southwest-companion-pass-for-almost-two-years/

Last edited:
You get the two almost full years of the CP by applying in Nov for the card. Spend $2K on each card and if they offer is 50K points when you sign up you still need to spend another 6k in points. Usually by purchasing things from the RR shopping site that have high point value. I was able to spend $12 for a 3 month subscription to Wall Street Journal and got 1k points The key is to make sure that your statment closing date for the 90 day period falls in Jan or Feb. If you apply too soon for the card you risk your closing date falling in Dec and the CP will only be good for Dec of 2017 and the 2018 calendar year. Also remember the annual fee that you will be charged with right of the bat of getting the card does not apply toward the CP sending. Another DIS posted missed getting the CP because she thought it did count toward the spending amount. She lost out on the deal because she was $4 short of spending $2k.

Would it make sense to a apply for one of the personal cards now with the 60k bonus and have $8-10k spend between now and the end of the year and then apply for a business card with a 40k bonus in November with the intention of hitting that minimum spend in January?

Would it make sense to a apply for one of the personal cards now with the 60k bonus and have $8-10k spend between now and the end of the year and then apply for a business card with a 40k bonus in November with the intention of hitting that minimum spend in January?
If you are trying for the companion pass that strategy won't work since the points all have to earned in the same year. Personal would be earned in 2017 and the business would be earned in 2018.

FYI: the offer is now listed on the Southwest's website. I wish they would say how long it is good til tho. Don't want to apply til middle/ late October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter