Hanging up my running shoes

Nice!!! And, clearly, Devil, you know my weak spot! Athletic fashion!!
Just like everybody on Seinfeld knows the combination to Elaine's vault :-)drinking1), everyone on the DIS knows your combination!

I spy a broken first place tape casually lying in the background :)
Ha, I wish! That was just a cool thing they did at that race, letting a bunch of people 'break the tape'. No #humblebrag there :)

You guys are the WORST!!

I just spent the last 10 minutes reading over information about the local tri sprint they hold here in August. UGH!

giphy.webp

angel-devil-gif.gif
Thanks for the confidence vote! @Chris-Mo and I have talked about likely needing to do formal swimming lessons if we really want to get into tris. Chris is an even worse swimmer than me. :D Chris actually loves to cycle and I think would often choose it in favor of running. I really still just have some fear of the bike and being out on the roads. I don't feel like I have good control of myself or the equipment. I also know the only way to overcome that is to ride. So, yeah, it's a vicious cycle for me. There are some groups that ride around here. Most notably one called Taco Tuesdays that has groups that ride at different paces and they are evening rides, so really no reason we couldn't do those, but again it's an intimidation factor for me, but one I just have to force myself to get past.
BDfVm.jpg

Swimming lessons are the best way to improve your confidence and your ability in the water. Learning how to be technically proficient will also save you huge amounts of energy, setting you up for a better bike and run. And yes, cycling can be intimidating at first, but don't let that stop you. Most cyclists and cycling groups are very welcoming and supportive of newcomers. They're also helpful in teaching you basic bike skills like clipping in and out effectively so you don't fall over in parking lots like I seem to do regularly. :)

Ugh, Want. There's a tush-bird!
sedona_trisuit_back_2048x2048.jpg

In addition to fantastic tri outfits, they have the socks, the bags, the capris, the leggings, the comfy post-run/tri tank, the run singlet. This has been pretty much the focus of Christmas, mother's day and birthday gifts this year. :) if it's too cold to wear my badger stuff on Sunday, I'm wearing my betty singlet!

Just like everybody on Seinfeld knows the combination to Elaine's vault :-)drinking1), everyone on the DIS knows your combination!

Sad but true. :rotfl:

Ha, I wish! That was just a cool thing they did at that race, letting a bunch of people 'break the tape'. No #humblebrag there :)

giphy.webp

I'm a lemming.

tumblr_mpy5r5EeTy1qd655so1_400.gif

Swimming lessons are the best way to improve your confidence and your ability in the water. Learning how to be technically proficient will also save you huge amounts of energy, setting you up for a better bike and run. And yes, cycling can be intimidating at first, but don't let that stop you. Most cyclists and cycling groups are very welcoming and supportive of newcomers. They're also helpful in teaching you basic bike skills like clipping in and out effectively so you don't fall over in parking lots like I seem to do regularly. :)

I think I've fallen over pretty much every time I've clipped in. Chris ended up switching my pedals out for some-kind-I-can't-remember-the-name-of that have clips on one side but flat on the other, so I could get more confidence on the bike.

In addition to fantastic tri outfits, they have the socks, the bags, the capris, the leggings, the comfy post-run/tri tank, the run singlet. This has been pretty much the focus of Christmas, mother's day and birthday gifts this year. :) if it's too cold to wear my badger stuff on Sunday, I'm wearing my betty singlet!

They have some REALLY cute stuff!!

Behind, as always but, did still want to give my two cents:
I worry if I don't have that, I will ultimately just stop running.
I totally get this! As a result I waaaay over schedule my annual race calendar, but I simply don't trust myself to keep doing this "for fun", which is silly because I love it!

Aerobically speaking there isn't really a difference between the marathon and 50k. At that point it's about proper pacing and time on feet. I strongly believe if you can complete a marathon, then you can complete a 50k.
I want to second this. I trained for a 50K (that I didn't end up running for reasons outside of the sport) and used a Marathon program, but merely ensured I had back-to-back long runs, to simulate time on my feet-I feel confident I could have run it just fine. So, in saying that I am also having the exact same thoughts as you...Post-Dopey I really want a Sub-2hour half, but I would also reallly like to complete a 50K.

I see now you are being sucked into the dark side (triathlon), where I simply can not follow as my butt can not handle a bike seat for more than 15 minutes :rolleyes1

I see now you are being sucked into the dark side (triathlon), where I simply can not follow as my butt can not handle a bike seat for more than 15 minutes :rolleyes1

You need a better seat or better shorts. 15 minutes shouldn't be an issue when riding. :)

I know I'm a little late, but ... are we doing Halloween resolutions?
I'd say start with the 50K. After the marathon, it's not that big of a jump. From there, see how you feel. If you find that you loved the distance and want to focus more on that, focus on ultras. If you thought the distance was too much, focus on improving your speed at the half distance. If you just want to try new things, think about a tri. You've got a lot of options, and I think the 50K is a good place to start.
(Side Note: I think my Halloween Resolution (which will likely happen this week) will be to enter the lottery for the United Airlines NYC Half. They just changed the course to start in Brooklyn, and as much as I detest Brooklyn, I'm kinda intrigued. Not 100% sold on it, though, since I most likely won't get in.)

Also ... what is with the weather??? What the what?? We're actually doing slightly better with the weather ... for the next few days. Then it gets bad again. What happened to fall? I miss fall...

Behind, as always but, did still want to give my two cents:

I totally get this! As a result I waaaay over schedule my annual race calendar, but I simply don't trust myself to keep doing this "for fun", which is silly because I love it!

Exactly. I love it too and yet even after being consistent for the last 5 years, I'm convinced without race goals I'll just quit!

I want to second this. I trained for a 50K (that I didn't end up running for reasons outside of the sport) and used a Marathon program, but merely ensured I had back-to-back long runs, to simulate time on my feet-I feel confident I could have run it just fine. So, in saying that I am also having the exact same thoughts as you...Post-Dopey I really want a Sub-2hour half, but I would also reallly like to complete a 50K.

After a not great long run this weekend, I'm back on the, "do I really want to run a 50K?" :)

I'm certainly interested in the dark side of triathlon. We'll see if my interest actually leads to participation!

I know I'm a little late, but ... are we doing Halloween resolutions?
I'd say start with the 50K. After the marathon, it's not that big of a jump. From there, see how you feel. If you find that you loved the distance and want to focus more on that, focus on ultras. If you thought the distance was too much, focus on improving your speed at the half distance. If you just want to try new things, think about a tri. You've got a lot of options, and I think the 50K is a good place to start.
(Side Note: I think my Halloween Resolution (which will likely happen this week) will be to enter the lottery for the United Airlines NYC Half. They just changed the course to start in Brooklyn, and as much as I detest Brooklyn, I'm kinda intrigued. Not 100% sold on it, though, since I most likely won't get in.)

Also ... what is with the weather??? What the what?? We're actually doing slightly better with the weather ... for the next few days. Then it gets bad again. What happened to fall? I miss fall...

In all honesty, I doubt I'm going to love a 50K. Marathons have pretty much always been a struggle for me where I really do enjoy halfs, but it's sort of one of those check it off my list type of things.

The weather has been KILLING me. But, yesterday and today have brought a much-needed cool down finally! The NYC Half sounds great.

It IS October, right???
Training Week 10/8-10/14

IgVZJV7.gif

Sunday 10/8 - Already shared that we did our 8 mile run on this day. Good run!
Monday 10/9 - Track work and the high end on our 800m repeats. So, 4 cadence drills, 4 acceleration gliders and 10x800 meters at half-marathon pace. Good run and pretty easy if a bit monotonous. Track work is BORING, y'all.
HTTP3d3dy5naWZiaW4uY29tL2Jpbi8wNzIwMTIvMTM0MTI1MDU2OF9iYWJ5X2FscGFjYV9mYWxsaW5nX2FzbGVlcC5naWYlog.gif

Tuesday 10/10 - 6 mile run. Nothing special here. I did feel really sluggish though. Maybe just still in a let down from our half race, but just had trouble getting my legs to want to move with any speed at all. 2:00/:30 intervals with an overall pace of 10:46.
Wednesday 10/11- Rest day
Thursday 10/12 - Unscheduled rest day. Neither of us was feeling it and with our planned longest training run looming, we decided to give the legs an extra break!
Friday 10/13 - No running, but I was trying to be good about drinking a lot. The temps were still warm which is beautiful and awesome unless you are training for a marathon. But, I did a good job of getting myself well-hydrated in anticipation of a hot, long run on Saturday.
20130321220047-278e32fa.gif

Saturday 10/14 - Schedule called for 26.2 mile training run. As I shared here before, that was going to be a big "NEWP" for me. Luckily the way the course was laid out, I had an escape hatch set up for around 22-23 miles and @Chris-Mo was planning to do the full mileage. Temps were forecast to be in the low 80s by the time we finished.

giphy.gif

We headed out on the long journey with a starting temp in the mid-60s. We were running 90/30 intervals and were pretty locked in at around a 10:45 pace. All was pretty good through around 14 miles or so, but then the sun starting coming up in earnest and the heat started to rise. Unfortunately, our group leader had decided to try something different with our water breaks and a couple of times in the course of the run, I was completely out of fluids and hoping she would be meeting us soon with water. It was NOT good. Somewhere around mile 15 or so, it became clear that I couldn't keep up pace with the rest of the group, so I told Chris to go on and I'd finish out on my own. I switched to 60/30 intervals until around mile 17 when my watch ran out of intervals. I stopped it and restarted still with 60/30, but found I was just out of gas. I was sooooooo hot!!! And, once I'm over heated, it's game over, sadly.
tenor.gif

So, I went for a few more miles walking the 60 and running the 30. Eventually around mile 19, our leader found me and I got some nice cool water and she had popsicles!!! I walked for awhile and those popsicles were heaven!!
tumblr_l8ys5k49cx1qc2s5go1_500.gif

That helped cool me off, but my running at that point was pretty rough. I was still running here and there, but there was a LOT of walking. I did finally finish with a total of 22.5 miles, but it was a rough one. Regardless, I got it done and while my legs and feet were pretty tired, I wasn't too horrible once I cooled off. It's left me wondering yet again if I can really hit my goal of a sub-5:00 marathon, but I do know that with better temps (PLEASE, FALL, PLEASE!!) I can do better than I did today.

Best of all, TAPER TIME now which means you can all expect more insanity from me in the future. :D

ETA: Totally forgot to add, that after our run, we were lazy the rest of the day, but did rouse ourselves for some delicious sushi!!
Untitled by giseleb2, on Flickr

And, in my effort to hasten fall's arrival, I broke out these little beauties who hang from my rearview mirror in advance of Halloween!

Untitled by giseleb2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ugh, that long run sounds aaaaawwwwffffuuuuuullllllll. Good for you for knuckling it out, and I'm glad you got at least got a popsicle at the end. Also, I feel like hot weather running is not a time for group leaders to be messing with water stuff... boo to that.

TAPER TIME TAPER TIME TAPER TIME!!!! WOOOOHOOO/whew.

2 things:

1.) you look super adorable in your sushi pic, and
2.) I totally think you have sub-5:00 in you. It sounds like weather and issues with water really had a big effect on your (OMG SO LONG) run. And now it's Taper Time so woohoo for taper madness!!

In conclusion:
tenor.gif

Ugh, that long run sounds aaaaawwwwffffuuuuuullllllll. Good for you for knuckling it out, and I'm glad you got at least got a popsicle at the end. Also, I feel like hot weather running is not a time for group leaders to be messing with water stuff... boo to that.

TAPER TIME TAPER TIME TAPER TIME!!!! WOOOOHOOO/whew.

It really was not good and, yes, boo to the water changes. I think she knew that she'd messed up, but it was too late to correct things. Shortly before she found me, I was really getting ticked off about the whole thing, but just decided that wasn't going to help me at all and just get through it! Plus, popsicles make everything better.

2 things:

1.) you look super adorable in your sushi pic, and
2.) I totally think you have sub-5:00 in you. It sounds like weather and issues with water really had a big effect on your (OMG SO LONG) run. And now it's Taper Time so woohoo for taper madness!!

In conclusion:
tenor.gif

Thanks! I was so happy to be eating that sushi, as you can tell from my smile. And, thank you for the confidence booster. Heat just kills me and I have to just accept that and not let myself get too upset when I derail in high temps.

Is that sushi on fire???? Or am I seeing things?

I believe in you too! Come on Fall weather!!!

Also I love that sleepy track workout llama so much!

Is that sushi on fire???? Or am I seeing things?

I believe in you too! Come on Fall weather!!!

Also I love that sleepy track workout llama so much!

It IS on fire!!!!! Well at least the plate surrounding the sushi wrapped in foil is on fire. It's called the Oh My God roll and it is totally OMG!!!

Who doesn't love a sleepy llama?

Oh yum, sushi is DH and my go-to date night dinner. We always order and eat way too much, and I love it! I don't think I've ever earned it the way you have though! Dang girl, that long run sounded tough!! I'm so impressed you got in the miles that you did in that kind of heat. Your race weather is bound to be loads better!!!

You can totally hit sub-5:00! Fall is coming, right? It has to be. Any day now.

Also that sushi looks AMAZING. I loooooove good sushi.

It's FINALLY gotten cooler here although it's supposed to warm up again some. Our run this morning though was a lovely 42 degrees. HEAVEN!!

That's our favorite sushi place. I've had sushi lots of places and for a place stuck in the middle of the country, it's outstanding.

Oh yum, sushi is DH and my go-to date night dinner. We always order and eat way too much, and I love it! I don't think I've ever earned it the way you have though! Dang girl, that long run sounded tough!! I'm so impressed you got in the miles that you did in that kind of heat. Your race weather is bound to be loads better!!!

We love sushi too and can eat an embarrassing amount of it.

That run was miserable. :( But, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right?

Let's talk about something FUN!!!
Like vacation planning :D
anigif_enhanced-12888-1407268618-13.gif

I'm getting so stoked about our long vacation in December. We've got our cruise planned for the week between Christmas and NY and then, of course, our marathon weekend trip to Disney. Two sun-soaked and fun-filled weeks. I cannot wait. And, yet, I must.
giphy.gif

But, that doesn't mean I can't make plans, YES? YES!!!

Our participants for the cruise underwent some changes. Plan was for me, Chris, our three kids and my sister. I had booked two connecting interior staterooms for us. But, my son, decided he didn't want to go. :( He's 19 now and has other plans and activities he wants to do for that week and I guess a cruise with the family just didn't hold up. He's nuts, but whatever.

So, I called Royal Caribbean to see what options we had. We could have canceled his cruise for a minimal penalty, but we couldn't keep our same connecting rooms with only 2 and 3 occupants. Cruise line bookings are weird, people. So, I asked about options for putting 5 of us in a room and before you know it, our attempt to save money by cancelling our son's cruise turned into an added expense as we changed to a much-improved room. Behold, the Family Panoramic View Room.
royal-caribbean-explorer-of-the-seas-family-panoramic-ocean-view-stateroom.jpg

SQUEEEEE!!!! So, it's up on the 12th deck at the front of the ship and has floor to ceiling panoramic views. A king-size bed and double sofa bed and then a small-curtained off room with bunk beds. A full bath and a half bath. I'm out of my mind excited. We told my sister, but are saving it as a surprise for my kids. It's a ridiculous splurge, but we'll just take it easier on Christmas gifts this year (frankly, my kids want for little, so I'd rather spend the money on the experience). Anyway, I'm crazy excited. We are trying to settle in on shore excursions we want to do and once that's completed, I just need to settle on a hotel in Galveston for the night before the cruise and we are done.

In Disney news, they announced the renewal of the special military discount tickets, so we got those ordered and should get the ticket numbers today or tomorrow to enter into MDE. Then it's just FP+ day fast approaching and the final payment on our Poly reservations (GULP) and we are set there as well. Cannot wait to see this lovely image again!

disney-world-plaza.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!