"I Only Run in Purple." - Anisum's Road PRs in 2018

Congrats on a great training week and great race! When I get a chance I'll see if you need to make any changes to the upcoming week since you went a little faster than expected. My rule of thumb for racing is to take an easy or off day for every 3k of distance raced.

Awesome job on your race! I LOVE those shoes!! So pretty!
Thanks! I love them too. :love: I got them on sale 1/2 price when the new model came out. My only complaint is the material of the laces makes them more likely to untie.

Congrats on a great training week and great race! When I get a chance I'll see if you need to make any changes to the upcoming week since you went a little faster than expected. My rule of thumb for racing is to take an easy or off day for every 3k of distance raced.
Thanks! I definitely took it easy yesterday. I walked 1.5 mi and jogged 0.5 at EA pace.

Thanks! I definitely took it easy yesterday. I walked 1.5 mi and jogged 0.5 at EA pace.

No worries, it looks like we've got you at easy pacing until 6/7. However, it appears your 10 mile pace was equal to your previous 10k prediction (1:15:01). Which means that 12:06 min/mile group run moves from a 10k pace to a 10 miler pace and becomes more reasonable as a typical workout.

We can also consider moving the paces based on this (mostly since we haven't even really started yet):

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 9.15.52 AM.png

Thoughts?

No worries, it looks like we've got you at easy pacing until 6/7. However, it appears your 10 mile pace was equal to your previous 10k prediction (1:15:01). Which means that 12:06 min/mile group run moves from a 10k pace to a 10 miler pace and becomes more reasonable as a typical workout.

We can also consider moving the paces based on this (mostly since we haven't even really started yet):

View attachment 236260

Thoughts?
That would work for me. It seems a little closer to what my body wants to do as well when I run. I just thought I was going too fast. I don't run many 10ks and I was coming down with a cold during my last 15k so I imagine that might be why the estimates were slightly off.

Hi Anisum
I'll be following your run blog and I also have a fair bit of purple.
Welcome! Purple is very important for running (in my opinion) so it's good you have some.

Week 4 (5/8 - 5/14):
Mon: 32 mi @ EA (15:02)
Tue: OFF
Wed: 3 mi @ EB (14:06)
Thu: OFF
Fri: 3 mi @ EB (14:06) BLIND RUN!!!

SatSun: 3 mi @ LR (13:38)

Monday Run: Monday was more of a walk. I did 1.5 miles at the group "run" with others who were recovering from the weekend races and finished up with another 0.5mi jog around the block by my house. Much slower than EA.

Wednesday Run: Yoga was back! NAMASTE!!! I also did my 3 miles but closer to last week's EB. It was hot though so I was adjusting for temperature a little.

Friday Run: This was my blind run. I did it in the morning since I was visiting friends in the evening and wouldn't have a chance. Not sure if it was because of the time change or my fear of going too fast but this winded up being wayyyy too slow. I did it at 15:11 min/mi pace. That makes sense because it felt really easy. I'm curious how things go next time. I did cover my watch with a sparkly Frozen sticker (sparkles don't show up in the image) from a sticker pack which I got in a fish extender exchange on a Disney cruise.

33fpUQH.jpg

Sunday Run: So Saturday I had been ready to run despite the rain but the flash flood warnings scared me off because while I can swim well we also have several areas were flash flooding can make it near impossible to return home once I start my route. Since I planned to ride my bike anyway Sunday I made an impromptu brick workout where I did 3.1 miles on my bike before 3 miles running. As everyone promised about brick runs my legs felt like jelly BUT I ran at a pretty good pace. Immediately after my run I began to feel ill and came down with a stomach bug that had me in bed so we'll see how many runs I get in this week.

Now for the most important question!

Did I wear purple?: Definitely. I'm probably going to stop even asking this.

Last edited:
This was my blind run. I did it in the morning since I was visiting friends in the evening and wouldn't have a chance. Not sure if it was because of the time change or my fear of going too fast but this winded up being wayyyy too slow. I did it at 15:11 min/mi pace. That makes sense because it felt really easy. I'm curious how things go next time. I did cover my watch with a sparkly Frozen sticker (sparkles don't show up in the image) from a sticker pack which I got in a fish extender exchange on a Disney cruise.

Good first blind run! Don't get to hung up on the results. Like other aspects in running the skill just needs to be honed in on.

Immediately after my run I began to feel ill and came down with a stomach bug that had me in bed so we'll see how many runs I get in this week.

:scared:

Feel better!

I totally misread your post and thought that 13:38 was the time you took to do the 3 miles! I see now, you have a pace chart for each run. I seem to have two speeds, on or off so can I ask, what's the thinking behind this. andhow do you work out your pace?
Oh and hope you feel better soon
Cheers
M

Good first blind run! Don't get to hung up on the results. Like other aspects in running the skill just needs to be honed in on.

:scared:

Feel better!
Thanks! I'm hoping I will. Stomach bugs are the worst. On the upside I lost 9lbs. That will make me faster, right? :D

I totally misread your post and thought that 13:38 was the time you took to do the 3 miles! I see now, you have a pace chart for each run. I seem to have two speeds, on or off so can I ask, what's the thinking behind this. andhow do you work out your pace?
Oh and hope you feel better soon
Cheers
M
I wish I could run 3 miles in 13:38 though that would be crazy. I'm currently using @DopeyBadger's training plan so I run whatever the PDF says to run that day. The whole idea of the training plan is to have a set schedule to follow that includes meaningful runs such as tempo or speed work that will prepare you for an upcoming race or just to improve. DopeyBadger plans follow the "train slow to get fast" school of thought in which there is a lot of #science on why people improve more when running in certain heart rate zones, etc, etc. There's a whole bunch of DopeyBadgerisms on his page. The way I usually track my pace though is by feel (a work in progress) and by using my Garmin to tell me what my pace is.

Week 5 (5/15 - 5/21):
As mentioned previously I was sick last week. By the time I felt better it was Saturday and I still wasn't really up to running a 10 miler the next day. So I took the entire week off of running instead. I did go for a bike ride Saturday with my family which was a great experience because we don't really have any bike trails in my immediate area which makes it pretty impossible to train for my triathlon since I can't get more than a few miles safely unless I make a loop out of it (which is just as exciting on a bike as it is on a run). Outside of that, One other exciting thing happened.

THE MYSTERY MIZUNOS CAME IN!!!

I forgot to take a picture on my phone but here's what they look like.
s-l300.png

They're purple (a happy coincidence) and more gray than white in person (thank goodness since I can't keep shoes clean). The model is the Mizuno Wave Sky and it's the new model released to replace the Enigma. I wish I could tell you how they feel but I haven't actually put them on yet. I'm planning on saving them for a few months since I'm already working through a few pairs of shoes. If they don't work for running they'll be good walking shoes.

Today marks the return to running so we'll see how things go this week.

Week 6 (5/22 - 5/28):
Mon: 3 mi @ EA (15:02)
Tue: OFF
Wed: 4 mi @ EB (14:06)
Thu: OFF
Fri: 3 mi @ EB (14:06)
Sat: 4 mi @ LR (13:38) + 13.5 mi bike ride!

Monday: I failed to run at EA pace. I ended up running at 13:36. It was a group run and there was no one in my pace range but the local running store was also hoping to close on time (something they almost never get to do when hosting a group run) so I felt I had to run faster. Had I known how slim the crowd would be I'd have probably run at home so I could stick to EA pace.

Tuesday: Nothing on Tuesday but after this week I'll have open water swims to prepare for my triathlon. I had taken a break from pool swims since I was busy but I'm excited to get out in the water.

Wednesday: Went to a graduation and following that ate Italian with the family. Following that I went for my run. I feel confident that gnocchi, tomato pie, and cannolis should all be put on the list of things not to eat during a run. I was supposed to run 4 miles but I ran 3 because of how crappy my body felt with all the food. On the plus side this was closer to EA than EB.

Friday: Was feeling good so I actually got an extra mile in which I guess makes up for my miss on Wednesday. I was a little fast (13:56 pace) but close to EB overall!

Saturday: Started the day with a 13.5 mile bike ride. I've ridden with my family the past two weekends which is great for getting me ready for the bike portion of my tri. I'm not great at bikes as I've mentioned on some other threads. The good news is I'm almost at the correct height for riding. I've been adjusting my seat to be higher every time I ride. Initially I had it so my feet could be flat on the ground when I wasn't pedaling. Now I'm close to my tippy toes. I enjoy riding and next week I have a mock tri that will help me figure out how to ride in a group setting. Immediately following the bike ride I did 0.3mi of running just so I could get the feel of a brick workout (something I'll experience even more next weekend). I would have gone farther but I didn't want to leave my bike in the car with the heat, etc. that evening I went for my run and got 4.6 mi in at a 13:40 pace (super close to LR!). It was a bit more than the plan said but I didn't run at all the week before and was eager to run.

In the coming weekend I have a mock tri on Sunday which will feature a 2mi run. @DopeyBadger should I get my 6 miles on the plan on Sat or shorten it to accommodate running on Sunday?

In the coming weekend I have a mock tri on Sunday which will feature a 2mi run. @DopeyBadger should I get my 6 miles on the plan on Sat or shorten it to accommodate running on Sunday?

How hard are you going to run the mock 2 miler? If easy, then stick with 6 miles. If hard, then 5 mi at EB on Saturday.

How hard are you going to run the mock 2 miler? If easy, then stick with 6 miles. If hard, then 5 mi at EB on Saturday.
Okay. I feel like it's going to be on the easier side since I'm getting off of a swim and a 10 mile bike ride. It's not timed so I don't feel like I have to push it. If plans change in advance I'll be sure to drop down to EB. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!