i think we are ready to go PURple

karen4546

DIS Veteran
okay so the title is that i have read that DVC members have special purple magic bands... but here is my question -in a roundabout way by Susie's house

researched these last several months, stayed on rented points at AKV several times, and now i think we would like to buy a 160 pt contract for around 105/pt. but i would alson like to buy at least a 50 pt contract DIRECT for AKV through Disney. I have never done the DVC tour since disboards has so much more down to earth info. I want my use year to be December since i typically vacation the 2nd week of December. I have spent $11000 renting points these last few years and could have owned a small contract for that amount by now. I love AKV and we typically rent a 1 or 2 br but this year we rented a 2br and a value studio through a rental broker.

okay my question.... does anyone know what the current price is for a 100 pt contract directly through DVC and is there a place to see the prices for direct purchases WITHOUT having to talk to a DVC rep.?

I really don't want to talk to a salesperson. I am the type that picks a car out calls the dealership and signs papers. I don't need to hear the mumbo jumbo since i try to research but i just have not found out the prices for AKV direct or if they are available. If they are not available i guess i could buy something else direct for the same use year.

thanks for your help.

Karen

Just curious as to the reason for buying 50 points direct? 75 would be the minimum now if you're wanting the perks....otherwise I would just look to buy resale.

Renting may cost more depending on how often you vacation at Disney. Renting you can reserve any resort at 11 months and you don't have to pay dues also you don't have to vacation at Disney every year and deal with banking or renting out unused points.

:earsboy: Bill

I think DVC is unique is that they don't pressure sale, if you're not interested then they won't push you to buy either. It's not like they have trouble finding buyers, haha

Last month I was able to buy 50 points by calling, not sure if that offer still stands.

We talked to a guide last week and are on a waiting list for BLT ($191 a point) for 100 points. If we choose when it comes up we can downscale that to 50 or 100. Polynesian is $220 a point. I'm also starting to look at resale for such a small contract since we have our other points that were purchased direct.

okay so the title is that i have read that DVC members have special purple magic bands.
Currently, there are NO special DVC MagicBands available. There were 4 Limited Edition 1st gen MagicBands available several years ago, but those are sold out.

There is a special color scheme (purple to green) at the park entrance touch points for those with the DVC affiliation on the MDE profile.

Last edited:

okay so the title is that i have read that DVC members have special purple magic bands... but here is my question -in a roundabout way by Susie's house

researched these last several months, stayed on rented points at AKV several times, and now i think we would like to buy a 160 pt contract for around 105/pt. but i would alson like to buy at least a 50 pt contract DIRECT for AKV through Disney. I have never done the DVC tour since disboards has so much more down to earth info. I want my use year to be December since i typically vacation the 2nd week of December. I have spent $11000 renting points these last few years and could have owned a small contract for that amount by now. I love AKV and we typically rent a 1 or 2 br but this year we rented a 2br and a value studio through a rental broker.

okay my question.... does anyone know what the current price is for a 100 pt contract directly through DVC and is there a place to see the prices for direct purchases WITHOUT having to talk to a DVC rep.?

I really don't want to talk to a salesperson. I am the type that picks a car out calls the dealership and signs papers. I don't need to hear the mumbo jumbo since i try to research but i just have not found out the prices for AKV direct or if they are available. If they are not available i guess i could buy something else direct for the same use year.

thanks for your help.

Karen

As mentioned - don't expect a special DVC purple band - there aren't any! :goodvibes

DVCnews keeps updated pricing and the link was provided above. I'd guess you want to buy direct to get things like the AP discount? With the rather large price difference in AKV resale vs direct that's pretty much the only perk that makes it worthwhile to pay a direct premium but going for a single week a year means regular park tickets are almost always cheaper than AP's. To get the perks you need to purchase 75 points or more direct which is going to be in the range of $5,000 more than buying a combination of resale and the minimum 75 points direct.

Buying resale first and then calling to buy direct as a member will allow you to purchase less than the new member minimum. Members can add on as few as 25 points direct at AKV but you'd have to eventually get to 75 to qualify for some of the benefits. You would just call in and tell the guide you spoke to what you would like to purchase. If they had it available they'd have the contract written up for you and points in your account very quickly. For AKV you might have to get on a waitlist until DVC reacquired points via foreclosure or ROFR and had them available to sell to you.

Disney had in the past offered this purple limited edition DVC 25th Anniversary Magic Band for purchase.
DVC_Purple.jpg

thanks for your help.

Karen
I would just buy what you need resale. The perks aren't worth the extra if that's the goal. IMO they were when you could only do 25 but not at 75. I'd only go resale for something you can't get resale or that isn't a true savings. That's certainly not AKV which is comparatively fairly cheap.

I can still get the annual passes at a discount right? sounds like instead of buying from DVC I should buy all resell which mean I could probably swing 300 pts that way. We do vacation at Disney every year at least one most time twice. We now have 5 grandchildren ages 11 months to 5 yrs and we are taking them to WDW for the first time in December. hope they love AKV as much as we do. Off I go to search for a bigger resale contract. thanks all

I can still get the annual passes at a discount right? sounds like instead of buying from DVC I should buy all resell which mean I could probably swing 300 pts that way. We do vacation at Disney every year at least one most time twice. We now have 5 grandchildren ages 11 months to 5 yrs and we are taking them to WDW for the first time in December. hope they love AKV as much as we do. Off I go to search for a bigger resale contract. thanks all
It's take quite a number of passes to make up the difference between resale and retail. You'd likely need a total of 20-30 passes over time to break even and it's not guaranteed the options would continue of course there's also no guarantee the options wouldn't get better. Odds are not in a new buyers favor. There are situations where it still makes sense where the price difference isn't as large like VGF or VGC but that's about it. If I wanted AKV only, I'd just buy all the points there resale. I might still go for 2 home resorts of say AKV for the value and guaranteed options plus either SSR for cheaper points or a second more destination resorts like VGF, BWV or BLT. I might buy there for maybe 200 plus try to get 75 retail at VGF or VGC depending on my location. Once you get over 300 points it often makes sense to do multiple contracts anyway.

It's take quite a number of passes to make up the difference between resale and retail. You'd likely need a total of 20-30 passes over time to break even and it's not guaranteed the options would continue of course there's also no guarantee the options wouldn't get better. Odds are not in a new buyers favor. There are situations where it still makes sense where the price difference isn't as large like VGF or VGC but that's about it. If I wanted AKV only, I'd just buy all the points there resale. I might still go for 2 home resorts of say AKV for the value and guaranteed options plus either SSR for cheaper points or a second more destination resorts like VGF, BWV or BLT. I might buy there for maybe 200 plus try to get 75 retail at VGF or VGC depending on my location. Once you get over 300 points it often makes sense to do multiple contracts anyway.

They have 5 grandchildren, so they're going to need large rooms. In their case I think it would just be simpler to have all of their points at a single resort so they don't have to worry about booking what they need at the 11 month mark. They also really like Animal Kingdom.

They have 5 grandchildren, so they're going to need large rooms. In their case I think it would just be simpler to have all of their points at a single resort so they don't have to worry about booking what they need at the 11 month mark. They also really like Animal Kingdom.
Sure, just pointing out the options which, BTW, don't preclude volume at AKV.

Was I the only one who thought OP meant they were going to get an Owner's Locker?
I do no know what an "owner locker" is but I would think that is for DVC but no I don't need that at this time. I think I will look at the option of adding SSR or another lower priced DVC for the extra points. we would most likely get a 2br at AKV unless it is just DH and I then we would just get a studio or 1 BR. Hoping to get a Grand Villa in a year or two.

I do no know what an "owner locker" is but I would think that is for DVC but no I don't need that at this time.

There is a company called Owner's Locker which you can pay to store your stuff in Orlando. They provide you with a big purple storage bin and drive purple vans. That's why I thought of them when I saw the title of your thread. Many DVC owners use them. (also I had not heard anything about purple magic bands for dvc owners.)

I can still get the annual passes at a discount right?

Only if you buy the right number of points direct. Which is 75 once you’re a member by resale. The 25 points mark is gone now as if a few weeks ago.

I do no know what an "owner locker" is but I would think that is for DVC but no I don't need that at this time.

You can google it. It’s a storage bin for people who are repeat guests who might wish to keep things in FL rather than pack them for every trip.

They use purple in their logo etc.

Since the purple magic band was for a very limited time and is gone now, those of us with lockers thought of that and not the band.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter