I wish ABD would go to ...

Grifdog, that is so interesting and thank you for posting. We are on Iceland for 2018 so that's great to read. @ CaliforniaGirl09, what did you book for 2018? I can't remember.

My family is pushing for Australia for 2019, sounds like that might be a good choice. It's the flight that gives me pause. So maybe Norway would be a good choice!
Nothing yet. We may do Norway or SE Asia last minute depending on the group size, and whether they announce Japan for 2019.

We were on the first revised Australia trip this summer (almost done with a trip report - just fighting photos right now) and we had an ABD exec along for the entire trip. She is one of the trip planners, designers. She did politely ask that we not quote her. She had been involved in the "refreshing" of the Australia trip. She took part in everything (and helped out when needed) so that she could see the trip and our interactions from our point of view. Whoops, sorry, she never called them trips. They are "experiences."

She advised that their problem with Tasmania was that it was just too cold during our summertime (their wintertime) for lots of activities, and flights were a huge problem. The same applies to New Zealand, as does group hotels and transport unless you just spend a lot of time on a bus. New Zealand's South Island is where the cool stuff is, but they get unpredictable and enormous amounts of snow in July...but she said there is still interest there. On Japan, she agreed there has been a lot of longstanding interest and that they are working on it. While Japan is not on our family's list, I have heard on the boards of an unrelenting interest, and she agreed and said to tell folks (not a quote) to be patient and expect to be surprised. She did not say it, but it sounded like they are also looking at some more flexible versions of trips, perhaps deliberately smaller. You may remember before the Great Recession they had some trips that were premium over the usual experience. They appear to continue to explore options. She repeatedly said that insiders should be patient...there is more to come. From the sense we got from her throughout the event, they appear to really want to steer these to "experiences" that are unique, available regardless of the weather (at least as to our summer season), and that provide a balance for families as well as adults. They really do work to honor the original Disney philosophy of giving a family an experience. So while a lot of adults only trips are out there, they still are based upon the family theme. At least that was the general impression we were left with in talking to her.

She indicated the increased "free time" on our Australia experience was a direct result of input from people, as was the creation of the Iceland experience. So yes, they are listening and do care and listen to what people say.

She gave insight to their trip process. The trip must be able to tell a unique story, and they try to weave this into the foundation of the entire trip. She would not say it was themed, but that each trip has a storyline and the little details are what they use to try to pull it together. She was fascinating listening to her talk about how they build these things, to rule out as much as possible things going awry, and how they balance what they see a group engaging in versus what one or two people who happen to be vocal have to say. The organization appears very deliberative in every aspect of the experience, as I guess we all knew, but tend to take for granted.

As she has been at this for some time, I had to ask her what her favorite trips were. She said without hesitation it would be the new Iceland trip, the revised Australia trip and she was "enraptured" with Norway as her absolute favorite. That trip, she said, was where they were able to work logistics where it should not be possible. After listening to her, I expect (if the DW agrees) that next year that will be the experience we choose.
I'm doing Iceland in 2018. Somehow, I keep forgetting about Norway, even though it sounds fabulous. I may need to move that to the short list for 2019.

Sayhello

Did you finish this trip report? We are headed to Australia next month and I am curious to hear about the new itinerary.
Almost done! Should have it posted by Sunday morning. Was waiting on some pictures of the night sky from Uluru and the input from my twin DD who started college this fall and discovered they do NOT have all the free time they expected. Sorry for the delay. We have a very extensive report with great photos. We also clearly mark spoilers, so folks can skip if they like. I hope they keep all the aspects of the updated trip - we really found ourselves more immersed in the country than any other trip, which we did not think possible. After five months, we are still singing some of the damn jingles, and I have finally really acquired the taste for Cadbury chocolate and Vegemite, washed down with a flat white and a schooner.

Almost done! Should have it posted by Sunday morning. Was waiting on some pictures of the night sky from Uluru and the input from my twin DD who started college this fall and discovered they do NOT have all the free time they expected. Sorry for the delay. We have a very extensive report with great photos. We also clearly mark spoilers, so folks can skip if they like. I hope they keep all the aspects of the updated trip - we really found ourselves more immersed in the country than any other trip, which we did not think possible. After five months, we are still singing some of the damn jingles, and I have finally really acquired the taste for Cadbury chocolate and Vegemite, washed down with a flat white and a schooner.
VEGEMITE??? I didn't think that was possible!! :)

Looking forward to your report!

Sayhello

Iceland AND Norway - during Northern Lights
Bavarian / Alps Tour - Switzerland, Germany, Austria

These are top 2 items on my bucket list. If ABD could get the itinerary i want, i would be in in a heartbeat.

I would say Japan (with Tokyo Disney) but honestly, its pretty easy to do on your own.

I can't wait to read this - my family is asking for Australia for 2019 but I'm having hard time pulling the trigger due to distance...

Looking forward to reading your trip report!

I can't wait to read this - my family is asking for Australia for 2019 but I'm having hard time pulling the trigger due to distance...

It is a rare opportunity, and the present ABD trip does a fantastic job of making this a family event. We've done 5 family trips, and in ranking this was by far the best, with Peru second, South Africa 3rd, Costa Rica Fourth, and Wyoming Winter fifth.

Fly Qantas. They make it easy. Since they don't fill all the seats due to the long haul, book seats toward the back of the plane in the center row on the aisle and leave the two seats between you empty. You'll have room to spread out that way.

I heard that Japan is pretty definite for this year. Videos are being made, etc.

Sweet!!! Now I know which airline miles I need to accumulate. I am excited about the idea but also a little wry over the fact that we are doing a post trip to Japan after China this year 8-) It's all good tough since we are only going to the parks. I will be happy to go back next year and actually see Japan too.

Japan ABD could be fun. I've been to the parks but only spent part of one day in Tokyo itself. There is so much more of Japan to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!