IBS and Special Diets?

UpstartCrow

Earning My Ears
Hi, DISers! I wanted to ask a question on behalf of a friend who’ll be going to WDW in February. She has anxiety and stress-triggered IBS, which always seems to flare up at some point on vacations. I’ve already done a little research on the boards and got some great info about the DAS pass— I can’t believe in all the years she’s been going to Disney, it never occurred to either of us that that might be an option. (I understand the limitations of its usefulness, but hey, every little bit helps.)

My question was about food in the parks (and resorts). I know Disney is wonderful about accommodating food allergies, but I was wondering if there’s anything they can do for her hyper-controlled IBS diet? The list of foods that’ll trigger her is probably longer than the list of foods she can (usually) tolerate, but if she emailed the “special diets” address, is there any chance they could help accommodate her? I discussed the possibility with her and she dismissed it, thinking her issue doesn’t fall under the header of an allergy (or a cut-and-dry set of restrictions like a Kosher diet, a vegan diet, etc.). But I thought even if someone at the restaurants could provide a full list of ingredients, that would help her make more informed choices. (For example, oils are a big no-no for her, and those are sometimes “hidden” in things you wouldn’t necessarily assume.) Or if she could get just plain toast and turkey at a place where that might not be on the menu. Does anyone have experience doing this? Or is it pretty much all up to her?

Thanks! :flower1:

Ask to speak to the chef at any table service restaurants and they will do their best.
Quick-serve, ask to see the ingredient book. Although this is not fool-proof because substitutions get made sometimes.
Definitely there are a couple websites that go into dietary choices in more detail so you have an idea of what you can probably snack on while you are there.
Lastly, you can order food from delivery services that do this, and have it delivered to whichever hotel you are staying at. Most Bell Services charge a small fee for accepting packages, around $5/box.

It is more work but she can carry in a small soft sided cooler and stow it in a locker if she wants to bring some foods for herself. And I second having her talk to the chef. They can always make something basic like baked chicken using no oil.

Tell your friend to look up a supplement called Atrantil. It's available on Amazon. It has, quite literally, changed my life. I can eat whatever I want now and my IBS only flares once every few months or so, which is a MAJOR improvement.

Hi, DISers! I wanted to ask a question on behalf of a friend who’ll be going to WDW in February. She has anxiety and stress-triggered IBS, which always seems to flare up at some point on vacations. I’ve already done a little research on the boards and got some great info about the DAS pass— I can’t believe in all the years she’s been going to Disney, it never occurred to either of us that that might be an option. (I understand the limitations of its usefulness, but hey, every little bit helps.)

My question was about food in the parks (and resorts). I know Disney is wonderful about accommodating food allergies, but I was wondering if there’s anything they can do for her hyper-controlled IBS diet? The list of foods that’ll trigger her is probably longer than the list of foods she can (usually) tolerate, but if she emailed the “special diets” address, is there any chance they could help accommodate her? I discussed the possibility with her and she dismissed it, thinking her issue doesn’t fall under the header of an allergy (or a cut-and-dry set of restrictions like a Kosher diet, a vegan diet, etc.). But I thought even if someone at the restaurants could provide a full list of ingredients, that would help her make more informed choices. (For example, oils are a big no-no for her, and those are sometimes “hidden” in things you wouldn’t necessarily assume.) Or if she could get just plain toast and turkey at a place where that might not be on the menu. Does anyone have experience doing this? Or is it pretty much all up to her?

Thanks! :flower1:

Start here: Special Dietary Requests She/you can always call that phone number and discuss her situation with the good folks at Special Diets. They may be able to give you the best possible guidance for her situation.

I was on a low FODMAP diet for several years and did quite a few trips to Disney during that time. The low FODMAP diet is popular to treat IBS. Not what i had, but it worked well with controlling my symptoms.

Definitely contact special diets. I also had business card printed that had my name and the rather lengthy list of foods I could not eat. It was rare I could anything off the menu, but most chefs went above and beyond to make me delicious and safe foods.

Please feel free to DM me if you have any questions!

Hello, fellow IBS sufferer here. o/ I found that having groceries delivered to the hotel room was vital for our Disney trips. My biggest trigger is breakfast, and I'm extremely limited in what I can have. I always have something to eat first at the hotel room before we do anything for the day. I know it's going to be a bad day if I react to even my safe foods. :/ But it does give me the chance then to take the meds I need and usually after a few hours I'm ready to go.

I've never really requested anything specific at the restaurants, but I stick to foods I know that agree with me. Usually that's salads, fish, basically low-fat and non-greasy foods. I also make sure to eat smaller portions, which usually means my husband and I will split a meal and then get a small smack to share a few times a day. That helps my stomach from getting too overwhelmed. Research menus beforehand so you can make sure there is something there that you can eat wherever you go.

Drink lots and lots of water. I stay away from all sodas and alcohol, as it can also trigger my IBS and increase my anxieties. Any quick service location will give you free cups of water.

Take breaks often, and stay in the shade as much as you can. The beauty of the DAS Pass meant I could rest while we waited for our turn to ride, which was such a blessing. I have had no problem obtaining the DAS Pass for my IBS/Anxiety at both WDW and Disneyland. It has been a godsend every time. When we first went to WDW for our honeymoon, I couldn't ride anything with over a 15 minute wait. We missed scheduled Fast Passes because I would fall ill unpredictably. I wish I had known about the DAS Pass back then, it would have improved the quality of our trip immensely.

Good luck, and have the best time you can!

Hello, fellow IBS sufferer here. o/ I found that having groceries delivered to the hotel room was vital for our Disney trips. My biggest trigger is breakfast, and I'm extremely limited in what I can have. I always have something to eat first at the hotel room before we do anything for the day. I know it's going to be a bad day if I react to even my safe foods. :/ But it does give me the chance then to take the meds I need and usually after a few hours I'm ready to go.

I've never really requested anything specific at the restaurants, but I stick to foods I know that agree with me. Usually that's salads, fish, basically low-fat and non-greasy foods. I also make sure to eat smaller portions, which usually means my husband and I will split a meal and then get a small smack to share a few times a day. That helps my stomach from getting too overwhelmed. Research menus beforehand so you can make sure there is something there that you can eat wherever you go.

Drink lots and lots of water. I stay away from all sodas and alcohol, as it can also trigger my IBS and increase my anxieties. Any quick service location will give you free cups of water.

Take breaks often, and stay in the shade as much as you can. The beauty of the DAS Pass meant I could rest while we waited for our turn to ride, which was such a blessing. I have had no problem obtaining the DAS Pass for my IBS/Anxiety at both WDW and Disneyland. It has been a godsend every time. When we first went to WDW for our honeymoon, I couldn't ride anything with over a 15 minute wait. We missed scheduled Fast Passes because I would fall ill unpredictably. I wish I had known about the DAS Pass back then, it would have improved the quality of our trip immensely.

Good luck, and have the best time you can!

Yes, DAS is amazing for those who have those kind of issues and need to be able to get to a bathroom fast. It really does affect your life greatly to have any kind of bathroom issues, more then most people realize.

Ask to speak to the chef at any table service restaurants and they will do their best.
Quick-serve, ask to see the ingredient book. Although this is not fool-proof because substitutions get made sometimes.
Definitely there are a couple websites that go into dietary choices in more detail so you have an idea of what you can probably snack on while you are there.
Lastly, you can order food from delivery services that do this, and have it delivered to whichever hotel you are staying at. Most Bell Services charge a small fee for accepting packages, around $5/box.
I have a food allergy list that is longer than the foods I can eat. One thing I do is when we order in Amazon Prime or Prime Now I talk to bell services about why we are getting the delivery. What I have found is if you are getting the order due to food restrictions or the order includes a medication not availible at Disney, they wave the fee. I just have to go to bell services to pick the packages up.

Some of the places I have had the best luck for getting me freindly food on property is Starbucks they use all the same ingrediants as off property. Boma, the chefs are awesome and I gorged myself on super yummy chicken and beans. The places in Germany, EPCOT, I could actually eat the food from the buffet, that had not happened in years. Artists Pallette at SSR, they are super easy to work with even when busy. Yak and Yeti, quick service and sit down; they were more than willing to work with me, shocked me because both are run by Landry's and I have not had the best luck at Rainforest Cafe. The Polite Pig in Disney Springs, the califlower side is to die for and roasted. I ate here before the Disney Cross Country Classic last year and had zero problems during the race.

If she has a car then I would suggest going to some of the resturaunts off property. Noodles and Co is in the Goodings Plaza, along with a bunch of other eateries. Basically she has choices and as long as she asks the CMs for their help they will bend over backwards to make sure she is taken care of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter