Ideas for special thing to do at DL for my senior mom who has never been to Disneyland?

motor58

Mouseketeer
Hello All!

So happy to be planning another trip:mickeyjum We are treating my mom with 3 nights and 4 days of disneyland with us. She has never been before and I think she will love it. We have one room for our family (Me, husband and 3 kids: 9, 11 and 13 at time of travel). I assumed I would get another room for her 3 nights there (we are doing 5 nights) but she seemed to think she would be ok rooming with us. Our room is at BWPPI and sleeps 6. I am currently on hold officially adding her to our package :). If we did all do one room that would save a big big chunk of change. I normally would never think of doing 6 people in a room but kids are older and we don't use the room as much as we would have years ago so it seems actually possible.

My idea was to take the money we would have spent on her room and do something special with her. I am looking for special dinner, event, tour-stuff like that. We are always on budget mode at disneyland and our big splurge was princess lunch years ago, and eating at Blue Bayou which was kind of cool but we didn't wait for waterside and maybe that would have been more awesome if we had? So please give me all of your ideas!!!

We are traveling April 11-16th, but mom is there April 13-16th.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello All!

So happy to be planning another trip:mickeyjum We are treating my mom with 3 nights and 4 days of disneyland with us. She has never been before and I think she will love it. We have one room for our family (Me, husband and 3 kids: 9, 11 and 13 at time of travel). I assumed I would get another room for her 3 nights there (we are doing 5 nights) but she seemed to think she would be ok rooming with us. Our room is at BWPPI and sleeps 6. I am currently on hold officially adding her to our package :). If we did all do one room that would save a big big chunk of change. I normally would never think of doing 6 people in a room but kids are older and we don't use the room as much as we would have years ago so it seems actually possible.

My idea was to take the money we would have spent on her room and do something special with her. I am looking for special dinner, event, tour-stuff like that. We are always on budget mode at disneyland and our big splurge was princess lunch years ago, and eating at Blue Bayou which was kind of cool but we didn't wait for waterside and maybe that would have been more awesome if we had? So please give me all of your ideas!!!

We are traveling April 11-16th, but mom is there April 13-16th.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I recommend getting MaxPass (MP) for everyone.
If you need a scooter, there is Select Scooter right in the lobby of the BWPPI.

I have really enjoyed the WOC dessert party. Although I haven't booked for 6 people. That might be a tough one, due to the total cost.
However, it sure is nice! Having a place to sit for the show and not fighting the chaos of the preshow line-up and waiting.

I've been on a few of the Disney Park tours and for her first visit, if it were me, I'd rather spend time with family.
Making the personal memories of a trip is truly the best. Be sure to have the Disney Photographers take group shots, it's included with MP.

Enjoy

Geemo

Best bang for the buck on special experiences IMO is the WOC Dessert Seating. One of the few places that you can buy "VIP" access...great seats and good food for the show vs having to stand and be part of the massive cattle call in the viewing areas which can be a turnoff for many...especially newbies.

One of the Guided Tours is another excellent option as mentioned above.

Our room is at BWPPI and sleeps 6. I am currently on hold officially adding her to our package :).
Just to chime in about the BWPPI, I'm guessing you got a mini-suite, which has two queen beds and sleeper sofa. The beds are fine (hard pillows), but the sleeper sofa is not the most comfortable thing. I would put the two people with the least issues sleeping on that! :rotfl:

Is your Mom a fan of the nighttime shows? If she is, then I would consider either the WoC Dessert Party or a F! Dining Package. I'd tentatively lean towards the F! Dining package because you would be able to get a meal and a chance to see a show. I've looked at the WoC Dessert Package, but just haven't quite been able to pull the trigger and go (if it was a guaranteed good view, I'd go with it, but there have been reports that not all of the seats/tables have a great view and for that price...).

Just wanted to weigh in and let you know that when I took my mom a couple of years ago she really enjoyed WOC but had a hard time standing the whole time. sounds like the Dessert package is a good option for that. Also, mom preferred DCA to DL because she felt it was less crowded and she could enjoy the atmosphere better.

Thanks everyone so far! I've read up on the WOC dessert party and that does look like a top runner.

What about the Riverbelle Terrace with premium upgrade? You are seated for outdoor dinner at 8pm and stay to watch fantasmic right from your dinner table? It's $70/pp with full dinner.

Geemo-yes to maxpass and thanks for scooter info-I think she will need one (she doesn't) and great that there is a company right at BWPPI.

figment_jii-yes we have the 'suite' and I planned on putting the 9 and 11 year old on the sofabed.

MermaidHair-yes I could see my mom also preferring DCA to DL. We will have 3-4 days in the parks, although I think her 'days' will be more like half days.

I am now reading up on all of the dining packages and saw there is a new Frozen and Carthay Circle package-has anyone done that?

I am worried about night time cool weather in April for those outdoor shows....seems like it could be pretty cool out?

thanks again and I would love to hear more thoughts

I've looked at the WoC Dessert Package, but just haven't quite been able to pull the trigger and go (if it was a guaranteed good view, I'd go with it, but there have been reports that not all of the seats/tables have a great view and for that price...).
Mine might be one of the reports you're referring to. I saw WoC this past Saturday from the yellow FP section and it further reinforced my opinion that the dessert party isn't worth it. We had a way better view, and surprisingly more personal space, in the yellow section than we did at the party (and this was the early show on a Saturday). So I definitely wouldn't book the dessert party based on view alone, but I might consider it with someone older, just for the seats. If she can't wait on her feet for long periods of time or sit on the ground, it might be the only way to see the show at all, other than possibly the handicap section. You could potentially book the dessert party just for the adults and let the kids wait in the crowds - seems like they're old enough to behave themselves and that would save some money.

I would consider a dinner at Napa Rose for a classy atmosphere and excellent food, or Trader Sam's for a fun (inside) or relaxing (outside) atmosphere depending on her personality. There's also Steakhouse 55 for a nice dinner, but if you're going for a nice dinner I would personally pick Napa Rose.

You might look up reviews of the Grand Circle Tour. I've never taken it, or any of the tours for that matter, but I've heard some good things about it.

I agree with those who said WOC dessert package. My parents have a hard time standing for long periods of time or sitting on the ground and then getting back up. I know they would really appreciate a chair to sit on while watching any of the nighttime shows.

How often do you and your kids go to the parks? Have you seen WOC before? If the kids seeing WOC isn't a big deal, maybe your DH and the kids could do something else while just you and your mom do the dessert party? I have four kids and I'm not sure they would appreciate the dessert party enough to spend that much on them.

If rides are important at all, I agree with Maxpass. It is so convenient and makes the experience much more relaxing. Plus the pictures are a nice perk.

Thanks az4boys-we have only done the WOC once, on our first trip. The kids were young-4, 6 and 8 and it wasn't that much fun for us. I think our kids would really really be into a dessert party though, and I doubt they really remember that WOC years ago. But that is such a good point-just doing something with just us. WAY cheaper and I think she would REALLY like that. I kind of was thinking even though she's not a drinker she would LOVE LOVE trader sam's and that might be a good mother/daughter date too.

but yes for maxpass-with my mom not being able to stand in lines I think it's a no-brainer.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think you should also consider the Skyline Lounge experience (if it's still available then). Of course, how fun it is will depend on whether or not there are fireworks! The 9, 11, and 13 year old will have some room to get any leftover energy out as it's pretty spacious (and they have light sabers, connect 4 and other games), you all get something to eat (albeit more snack size than a meal - but you can bring in food if you want to get something from another dining option if you need more), you have unlimited beverages, and both Mickey and Minnie come around for you to greet and take pictures. You don't see the projections, but you do have a nice view of the fireworks without the crowds. I am not sure, however, if it will offered in April (I only see reservations through January right now). As much as I loved fantasmic, out side of the Riverbell Terrace upgrade, you either sit on the ground (albeit with a cushion if you do Blue Bayou), or if you are in a scooter you are in the way back so you don't block other people.

Maybe try taking your mom for a meal at Wine Country Trattoria in DCA. That overlooks the area where the World of Color show is held - although you may have to book first.

This is a lovely restaurant, even if it isn't cheap.

I’d take the money and upgrade to a hotel. The HomeWood suites has a nice family suite. There are 3 twins and a king in one room. Then only one kid would have to sleep on an uncomfortable couch bed. I can’t imagine sharing one. And no one would have to share with Grama! It has a really nice, full hot breakfast. There is also a dinner with beer and wine Monday-Thurs nights.

We have done several trips with the “grands” including the most recent one where we had a constant parade of 3 scooters and a wheelchair (because my brother thought that was easier than a stroller. Don’t ask).

We did Carthay Circle preferred seating and I was so frustrated when some girl just moved right in front of my dad at the last minute and completely blocked his view. He is too gracious to say anything so he missed out. Last trip I was going to do the dessert party, but he And my mom expressed that it wasn’t their favorite show. They like the fireworks. We’ve dined at B.B. That was a hit. The server really made the elders feel special. They even gave us special anytime FP vouchers. I would think the terrace lounge would be a GREAT treat.

The best thing i could suggest is to keep up a nice rotation of doing and sitting. Be sure to include the Tiki room, Great Momements with Lincoln, the shows, etc. it just gives them a time to rest. Also be prepared to go slow. My family is go-go-go and the compromise we sometimes come up with is to do the first two hours with just us so we can ride, ride, ride and then have the elders join us for a more relaxed pace.

Carnation Cafe is always a big hit with their comfort food and relaxed dining.

Two rooms might be really nice as it would give your mom a little alone time.

Thanks Cactus Girl-such good points about mixing up sitting stuff. I am ready to go slow, but will have to prep the kids:moped:. I know the kids and I are always ready to go for rope drop and I leave my husband to sleep and I know my mom will not be a rope drop kind of person. So us getting the go-go-go rides out of the way and then having them join us seems like a good plan. I have very low expectations for my mom-I just want her to experience disney and do a few key rides I think she will love. I think she will be able to disney for 3-5 hrs and then need to chill. She will have a scooter (which she is embarrassed by I think) and she's pretty independent.

I am so torn on the extra room thing! We don't spend much time in the room so I anticipate her needing time and breaks and she would have the room to herself I think. I am going to talk to her again, I want to figure it out before rates go up. And when we are in the room we are just watching tv getting ready for bed. She would share bed with our oldest who is 13 and fine to sleep with. I am more worried about 9 and 11 year old sharing pull out but they are so flipping tired after a disney day I am not *that* worried.

But yes to carnation cafe and yes to more sit down meals-I think we would do at least one a day for her.

I like terrace lounge idea but it's pretty late-actually I am second guessing all extra things that are at night. She will be on East coast time so 8pm will feel like 11pm. So doing lots of sit down meals might be better.

But thanks for all your input:worship:

If your mom has a scooter, be sure to check out some of the disability forums.

My dad was pretty embarrassed to use a scooter on our last trip. However, since he is 85 and was 6 weeks out from a heart surgery, my mom insisted on it. Let’s just say that he became the kid’s hero for Disneyland rides. My brother’s MIL was scheduled for a hip replacement two weeks after the trip so we got a scooter for her as well. It’s a trade off. In some cases, the going is very slow and it is a bit of a production getting on and off the rides. However, DL really caters to people in these situations. We have never ridden Peter Pan as much as we did on the trip
With both of them thanks to DL’s assistance program.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!