Ideas on how to break the good news to the Kids?

CAP Aircrew

So That Others May Live
Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm looking for ideas on how you broke the news to your kids. We are planning on going this June 27-July 3 and my son (8) and daughter (70 are going to be thrilled beyond belief! My wife and I want to break the news in a special way. We also want to let them know soon so they can rejoice in the whole "build up" to the trip.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

How exciting. There are a few ways we go about psyching up the kids for our WDW vacations. First, we always present them with a Birnbaum's book about the WDW parks for kids and tell them they better get reading (but it's fun reading). We also order a free Disney Vacation Planning video and have "movie night" (you can get these off the Disneyworld.com site). Then of course we always give them a few dollars in Disney dollars to begin the money saving process. I would imagine you could do any of these to present your trip. If you have a DVD player, on some of the animated DVD's, in the bonus section, there are the commercials you see on TV advertisting WDW. You could watch a movie and then the commercial .. and say you're going. Also, if you bake, there are lotsof Mickey-shaped desserts, etc. You could do something like that. Please let us know what you decide!

I suprised my kids in January with a trip. I made a hidden word wordfind at www.discoveryschool.com that said "We are going to WDW Wednesday" You should have seen thair faces when they figured it out. LOL

bobcat - that is an excellent idea (great web site too). I booked marked it for future use!!

When we went on the cruise a couple of years ago, I bought a Bon Voyage card for my DD and put a copy of the ship's itinerary and some Disney dollars for her to take. She was so surprised when she read the paper and was very excited, since it was only 2 weeks before we left.
You could also print up some calendar pages with a countdown. Reward them with Disney dollars for doing extra chores.
It all depends on how many times you want to hear 'How long until we go?' on when to tell them.
In fact, with Easter coming up you could incorporate an egg hunt with clues leading up to the 'BIG PRIZE' - Disney in June.
Have fun with this one!
:earsgirl:

Hey, CAP! My 6th grade DS just joined CAP this year.

I agree about the WDW By Kids for Kids book. My kids pore over it before every trip, even though they've been there often enough that they know what the rides are.

The only time I ever surprised my kids turned into a semi-disaster, so I also agree with telling them as soon as possible. My kids love the anticipation and planning. Although I enjoy daydreaming about just taking off down 95 one day, and buying shorts and T-shirts at WalMart on the way down!

Someone else here did a treasure hunt, with clues leading up to the big surprise. You may be able to find the thread with the Search feature.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.

I love the Easter Egg Hunt idea with the DisneyDollars and will most likely incorporate the WDW for Kids book into it after the hunt. Now if I can only hold off from now until Easter! I must admit that it is not easy. My wife and I like to talk about it alot and quite often we find ourselves having to suddenly shift gears.

Barb D........your son made an excellent choice in joining the Civil Air Patrol. I wish him well in all his endeavors and I would encourage you as a parent to get involved with his CAP activities as well. As an aircrew member in a Search and Rescue squadron, there is not a day that goes by where I have ever regretted my decision to volunteer. If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter