Identification for cruise

CrystalBrown993

Earning My Ears
Hi all! So we are sailing on the 28th of this month and my mother just informed me that she doesn’t have a hard copy of her license .....omg. But she does have a valid temp license which has a photo and looks just like a drivers license, a recently expired license and a carry permit with her photo and all info on it as well. She will also have her birth certificate. Has any one had experience with any of these items being accepted?

The DCL page states that if you are on a cruise that doesn't require a passport, you need a valid government issued photo id. I would call DCL and make sure that either the temp license or the carry permit would be sufficient.

I would just head to your local DMV and get a state issued ID. Most places issue them right on the spot or you get in the mail a few days later. You have plenty of time if you don't leave for a few weeks.

You didn't say if she has a passport, if she does it will be accepted as a valid ID. Otherwise you should contact your state DMV to get a REAL ID. Sometimes those can take longer so don't waste anytime.

I would just head to your local DMV and get a state issued ID. Most places issue them right on the spot or you get in the mail a few days later. You have plenty of time if you don't leave for a few weeks.
OP doesn't say where they are located, but I'll just say - it doesn't work that way in California. You go to the DMV to get an ID card, and it's handled just the same as a driver's license - it's mailed to you in 6-8 weeks.

A carry permit is state issued ID because its issued by the state after a background check. Its actually harder to get than your DL.

OP, you need to make sure the CCL will be accepted by DCL, people trip out on them because they are out of the norm. I guess thats the nice thing about Texas, its just on your DL. If they won’t or you have a bad feeling about the response, you can try to do an expedited Passport. Turn around is about two weeks, but you are already running out of time.

Just out of curiosity why would they issue a temp license that looks like a real license? Why not just issue a perm one. Usually a temp one would just be paper.

Hi all! So we are sailing on the 28th of this month and my mother just informed me that she doesn’t have a hard copy of her license .....omg. But she does have a valid temp license which has a photo and looks just like a drivers license, a recently expired license and a carry permit with her photo and all info on it as well. She will also have her birth certificate. Has any one had experience with any of these items being accepted?

Just call DCL. It honestly does not matter what anyone in this thread says, because DCL is not going to allow your mom’s temp license or conceal permit just because “@poohluvvin421” on the DISboards told you it was fine.

A carry permit is state issued ID because its issued by the state after a background check.
True, but it may not be accepted as a form of identification for boarding a ship or returning to the country. Officially, TSA does not accept weapons permits as identification to travel (whether an individual agent lets it happen is out of policy).

OP - if she has a temp driver's license, how long ago did she get that? Is it possible the official one will arrive before your cruise? If not, I'd be sure she has every scrap of identification she can find and hope they will accept something. I honestly wouldn't even trust calling DCL to provide an "official" answer; we all know you can call 3 times and get 3 different responses over the phone.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just out of curiosity why would they issue a temp license that looks like a real license? Why not just issue a perm one. Usually a temp one would just be paper.
In Indiana, local BMVs do not actually print the licenses. So they issue temporary ones on paper that look like the regular license, then the regular license is mailed from a central distribution center at a later date. I’m assuming OP is from a state that does something similar.

True, but it may not be accepted as a form of identification for boarding a ship or returning to the country. Officially, TSA does not accept weapons permits as identification to travel (whether an individual agent lets it happen is out of policy).

OP - if she has a temp driver's license, how long ago did she get that? Is it possible the official one will arrive before your cruise? If not, I'd be sure she has every scrap of identification she can find and hope they will accept something. I honestly wouldn't even trust calling DCL to provide an "official" answer; we all know you can call 3 times and get 3 different responses over the phone.

Enjoy your cruise!
In Texas, ours have our pic on them because they are on our driver's licenses. TSA doesn't accept them across the board because some states don't have the permitted person's pic on the card, but they are state issued identification. BTW, TSA has accepted baptismal certificates in a crunch, they don't uniformly enforce their own policies either, it's one of the biggest and most universal complaints about TSA.

What about Getting on a flight let alone the cruise? I just looked at tsa permitted identification and the site specifically states that temp driver licenses or gun permits are not considered acceptable forms.

run, don’t walk, to an expedited passport processing center with all of her documents and necessary photograph.

i just had our passports renewed for a trip to Africa, because we neended more pages. I sent them to a passport expediting service, had them back in five days. i didn’t need them back that fast but I hate when they are out of our presence. Costly but worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!