If the new gondola, Skyliner, is successful, will they create more lines?

Based on the discussion of expansion I was trying to think of two far points on property. I figured Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom were more or less edge to edge. Google maps shows ~6 miles if driving, but it's ~4 miles when drawing a straight line.

Obviously they won't do max speed, so for the sake of easy math, if they are going 60 mph (not including the wait time for a gondola, +1 minute for loading, +1 minute for unloading) the trip would be 8 minutes if they "follow" the road, or 6 minutes if they did a straight line.

I've never rode in a gondola system before, so I'm betting what I'm laying out isn't realistic, but from the perspective of someone who doesn't rent a car on his Disney trips, 10 minutes from Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom seems like a pretty good alternative to the 45 minute (20 minute wait + 25 minute travel time) bus trip.

Again, before things get out of hand, I'm probably way off base with this...just trying to see what travel times might be.

EDIT: I probably missed some of lockedoutlogic's juicy sarcasm...because that's how little I know about this system.
I know there was some discussion about the trip being around 10 or so minutes. I don't know if that is from CBR to Epcot or something else.

I know there was some discussion about the trip being around 10 or so minutes. I don't know if that is from CBR to Epcot or something else.

That sound like 10-15 mph...or half monorail speed...which is what I would have guessed

They can't go "fast"...you wouldn't be able to get enough on the circuit to be effective unless the load/unload process is a huge operation.

The key is gonna be the load/unload...

I hope dopplemayr pays attention to just how physically impaired/unfit the wdw customer is...because the stations will have to be pokey friendly

The key is gonna be the load/unload...

I hope dopplemayr pays attention to just how physically impaired/unfit the wdw customer is...because the stations will have to be pokey friendly

Very much this...compare the average customer at a ski resort, mountain resort destination, etc with the average Disney consumer and the logistics of this looks difficult to say the least. Add in people with stollers, ECVs who are unfamiliar with the process (skiers and snowboarders do this all day) and you can quickly have a mess on your hands.

CMs who are assigned to the loading platforms on those first days/weeks/months should get combat pay.

Isn't the Epcot International Gateway entrance going to be chaos once this is all up and running?

Isn't the Epcot International Gateway entrance going to be chaos once this is all up and running?
It won't be like a bus, monorail or boat unloading everyone at once, but it could be a steady stream of people during the busy times.

I bet they either eliminate the little retail location there (least likely) or they open up a new turnstile section on the other side of it. Maybe just for the gondola traffic----- maybe they will have security check prior to boarding the gondola and not have one at the drop off at epcot or HS.

I bet they either eliminate the little retail location there (least likely) or they open up a new turnstile section on the other side of it. Maybe just for the gondola traffic----- maybe they will have security check prior to boarding the gondola and not have one at the drop off at epcot or HS.

Yea it would definitely make sense to do the bag check on the gondola line, since people will have to wait for the gondola to come anyway. Doing it at IG would just be inefficient cause people would then have to wait on a line both before and after the gondola ride.

No silly,

They will go 88 MPH and are powered by 1.21 Gigawatts and a flux capacitor.

I was a bus driver, I know whats going on. :rolleyes1

75 do I hear 80? 88 Do I hear 100?....88 going once, going twice.....

Reading through the post, surprised they don't just do elevated rails and have the trams configured to run by rail.

Would be faster but costly. I heard the people mover in tomorrow land is coasting.

A resort with only gondola transportation to a park would be a deal killer for me. I HATE heights, and I know there are many others like me who would never set foot in one. I for one would prefer the monorail.

Considering the bottom of gondola versus bottom of the beams that the monorail travels above need to clear the road at 18-20' high for no issues with trucks passing under the gondola's ride height is likely going to be lower than the monorail's.

Considering the bottom of gondola versus bottom of the beams that the monorail travels above need to clear the road at 18-20' high for no issues with trucks passing under the gondola's ride height is likely going to be lower than the monorail's.
Seriously, and compared to how high the monorail is going into the contemporary (60 feet or so) this shouldn't be that bad

Interesting discussion. I'll post my 2 cents worth - I think the existing monorail system will stay in place for a long time for a few reasons; its maintenance expense is more cost effective vs demolition + a new form of transportation to take its place (unless they add more buses which is not the answer), it serves its purpose well and it is iconic to WDW. I applaud the gondola approach as it will reduce the road traffic (or at least keep it from getting worse as fast). I also prefer seeing the gondolas rather than buses. Disney keeps expanding so that means more people and we all need to get around effectively. I don't think we'll see gondolas all over the place but I would be surprised if they added a couple more in the future. Lastly, when are threads move out of the Rumors Forum into another Forum after they are no longer "rumors"?

Interesting discussion. I'll post my 2 cents worth - I think the existing monorail system will stay in place for a long time for a few reasons; its maintenance expense is more cost effective vs demolition + a new form of transportation to take its place (unless they add more buses which is not the answer), it serves its purpose well and it is iconic to WDW. I applaud the gondola approach as it will reduce the road traffic (or at least keep it from getting worse as fast). I also prefer seeing the gondolas rather than buses. Disney keeps expanding so that means more people and we all need to get around effectively. I don't think we'll see gondolas all over the place but I would be surprised if they added a couple more in the future. Lastly, when are threads move out of the Rumors Forum into another Forum after they are no longer "rumors"?

It's rumors AND news..... one to the other....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter