If the new gondola, Skyliner, is successful, will they create more lines?

Interesting discussion. I'll post my 2 cents worth - I think the existing monorail system will stay in place for a long time for a few reasons; its maintenance expense is more cost effective vs demolition + a new form of transportation to take its place (unless they add more buses which is not the answer), it serves its purpose well and it is iconic to WDW. I applaud the gondola approach as it will reduce the road traffic (or at least keep it from getting worse as fast). I also prefer seeing the gondolas rather than buses. Disney keeps expanding so that means more people and we all need to get around effectively. I don't think we'll see gondolas all over the place but I would be surprised if they added a couple more in the future. Lastly, when are threads move out of the Rumors Forum into another Forum after they are no longer "rumors"?

Is that known? We have shown that gondolas are more economical than buses. Any OCD members, that can parse quarterly reports, want to see if they can determine the cost of the maintaining the monorail? Considering monorails have never taken off I'm going to assume they are an expensive form of transportation.

Last part is covered as this forum is rumors AND news.

Last edited:

I bet they either eliminate the little retail location there (least likely) or they open up a new turnstile section on the other side of it. Maybe just for the gondola traffic----- maybe they will have security check prior to boarding the gondola and not have one at the drop off at epcot or HS.

Yea it would definitely make sense to do the bag check on the gondola line, since people will have to wait for the gondola to come anyway. Doing it at IG would just be inefficient cause people would then have to wait on a line both before and after the gondola ride.
I don't know after resorting hopping in the monorail and getting stopped while carrying a recently purchased suitcase at every entrance as well was not fun

I can see this. It goes on it's own track. A continuous loading system so most of the time ther will be no or small lines to used it. Less people to operate it. Not like one bus driver per bus.
Disney is not going to expand the monorail. This could be the next best thing. Busses really are off full
Gonodola could be smart, they can automatically go where you want yo go by automatically switching on the system
The Gonodola car in frount of you can go to MK your car can go to ECPOT the car in back can go to AK

I don't see them replacing the monorail, which is beyond iconic and is already in place. There was originally supposed to be a monorail extension to the Studios but that will never happen.

My view is they need to create a central hub where monorail, skyliner, boat and bus meet... right near Epcot. Connect the Animal Kingdom, Studios, and the Disney Springs areas via gondola. The only areas I don't see having a gondola expansion are Fort Wilderness (totally out of place; boats available), and the All-Stars (you want value... you use the bus! lol)

I don't see them replacing the monorail, which is beyond iconic and is already in place. There was originally supposed to be a monorail extension to the Studios but that will never happen.

My view is they need to create a central hub where monorail, skyliner, boat and bus meet... right near Epcot. Connect the Animal Kingdom, Studios, and the Disney Springs areas via gondola. The only areas I don't see having a gondola expansion are Fort Wilderness (totally out of place; boats available), and the All-Stars (you want value... you use the bus! lol)

I got a question...do the concrete beams driven 40 feet down through the swamp last forever?

You'd have to ask an engineer that. I assume proper (concrete) reinforcements would ensure longevity.

I did and the answer is "no"

It's more than that: they've overextended their trains and that plays to economics.

The era of Disney saying "well, we're gonna do it RIGHT so just pay for it" are over.

Also of concern for the budget-minded is that, once most resorts are connected by gondola, one could see Disney getting out of any value resort option (again, maybe only the All Stars are left as Values). Even moderate resorts would have transportation and an added up-charge.

I did and the answer is "no"

It's more than that: they've overextended their trains and that plays to economics.

The era of Disney saying "well, we're gonna do it RIGHT so just pay for it" are over.

Then they'll probably eventually replace the monorails with gondolas. The construction headaches are going to be monumental when that happens.
Introducing the Skyliners before replacing the monorails completely will allow guests to adapt to the idea so that there's not so much dissension among the fan base. It's a shame that monorails have become so uneconomical.

Also of concern for the budget-minded is that, once most resorts are connected by gondola, one could see Disney getting out of any value resort option (again, maybe only the All Stars are left as Values). Even moderate resorts would have transportation and an added up-charge.

Little doubt on this one...I would expect exasperating conversation regarding pricing for many years to come.

They're not connecting you directly to any park without bringing the pricing a lot closer to the existing ones in the upper range of prices.

Last edited:

Well, there is a lot of chatter about them doing away with the tiers of resort categories as they currently have them. Instead would be "monorail resorts", "gondola resorts", etc - this way they can have more variance to pricing rather than people wanting all "values" to be comparably priced

Here is another thought that I hate to have, terrorism. Changing from the buses and monorail to gondolas reduces soft targets for terror to a much smaller number of people confined in a transportation vehicle. Then put security before the ferries and launches.

Here is another thought that I hate to have, terrorism. Changing from the buses and monorail to gondolas reduces soft targets for terror to a much smaller number of people confined in a transportation vehicle. Then put security before the ferries and launches.

Here's the problem there...if wdw has to "limit the damage" due to terrorism?

...then the place is already closed. It can't survive under that threat. Nobody is going to kiddieland after an incident.

And it's DOMESTIC we're talking about here - to be clear. The US needs to grow up and address the real boogie men.

Well, there is a lot of chatter about them doing away with the tiers of resort categories as they currently have them. Instead would be "monorail resorts", "gondola resorts", etc - this way they can have more variance to pricing rather than people wanting all "values" to be comparably priced

Right...makes sense...

Nobody cares about budgets anymore...after all the "booming" economy has everyone in a great place...bread and circuses for everyone. Thankfully capitalism works in all scenarios.

...people don't really need to have their rooms cleaned anymore either:duck:

Right...makes sense...

Nobody cares about budgets anymore...after all the "booming" economy has everyone in a great place...bread and circuses for everyone. Thankfully capitalism works in all scenarios.

...people don't really need to have their rooms cleaned anymore either:duck:

Well, I think 8000 episodes of House Hunters has shown us that "budget" is really just a suggestion that can be ignored if there was s something you really want ... and has open concept and granite countertops

Here's the problem there...if wdw has to "limit the damage" due to terrorism?

...then the place is already closed. It can't survive under that threat. Nobody is going to kiddieland after an incident.

And it's DOMESTIC we're talking about here - to be clear. The US needs to grow up and address the real boogie men.

You're kidding yourself look at all the crap Dis'ners will take from the mouse. The fact the Pulse shooter cased Disney Springs didn't change anyone's habits.

Haven't the security check points been pulled further back at the park entrances post Pulse so that an attack wouldn't damage a park itself?

Well, I think 8000 episodes of House Hunters has shown us that "budget" is really just a suggestion that can be ignored if there was s something you really want ... and has open concept and granite countertops

And you work from home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter