If they don't give me a DAS I dunno what I'm gonna do

Status
Not open for further replies.

emelie

Stay At Home Rockstar
So me and my husband are trying to plan a Disney World trip just us no kids in November. I just can't seem to book the vacation cause I'm scared they won't give me a DAS. I suffer from depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, schizophrenia, and SEVERE anxiety. I take 12mg of xanax a day and I still only leave my house 2 months out the year. I just cant wait a long time near alot of ppl. I needa wait somewhere else to keep my brain busy so i dont overthink things or think that ppl are talking about me. I will freak out. And if they dont give me a DAS i wont be able to go and our whole vacation will be ruined. I'm just so worried :-(

If it's that severe, then ask. I've read other posts about people with anxiety getting them no problem, so I'd guess it's a reasonable ask. Have you had a DAS previously? If not, remember you can write down your needs if you're nervous about talking out loud with a CM and go from there, or have your husband speak on your behalf. If you don't qualify, then a good FP/touring plan will be a reasonable attempt. If that is an issue, you can always go back to guest relations and say that you are having these difficulties despite reasonable efforts on your part and see what they say. However, the DAS will only let you get in the FP line at a given time, and you will still have some time in the line (im not sure what you consider a long time for your anxiety is why I point it out. I know people who a long time for an anxiety trigger is 3 hours, others it's about 15 minutes). Ultimately you need to talk with your husband and see if you can find a plan you're comfortable with, there's no way I know of to get a DAS prior to getting to the parks.

Have you been denied a DAS for previous visits? If you've had one before I'd say you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you didn't have one for your previous trips, what were some of the coping strategies you used then? I always make sure to have a back-up plan just in case anyway. Use a good touring plan and be prepared to take it slow.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hi Emelie!

Have you read through the sticky thread about DAS? https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

This especially might be useful.

- you will be asked about your/the person's needs related to disability, not your diagnosis
- you may be asked "why are you requesting it?" - this does not mean they are asking what your disability is; they want to know what your needs are.
- For example, diabetes, autism and fibromylagia are not disabilities - they (like Cerebral Palsy, that is one of the conditions my DD has) are conditions that can cause a disability.
Not everyone with a condition has a disability. So, your task will be to explain how your conditions affect you in a way that causes a need for accommodations IN LINES.
- different people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs
- no proof or doctor's note is needed, and CMs have been instructed they will not be looked at
- explain your needs clearly, calmly and concisely.
- include details the CMs will need, but don't include details that are not pertinent to waiting or accessing attractions.

So me and my husband are trying to plan a Disney World trip just us no kids in November. I just can't seem to book the vacation cause I'm scared they won't give me a DAS. I suffer from depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, schizophrenia, and SEVERE anxiety. I take 12mg of xanax a day and I still only leave my house 2 months out the year. I just cant wait a long time near alot of ppl. I needa wait somewhere else to keep my brain busy so i dont overthink things or think that ppl are talking about me. I will freak out. And if they dont give me a DAS i wont be able to go and our whole vacation will be ruined. I'm just so worried :-(

What does your doctor suggest? You're going to need more than a DAS to survive at WDW. A DAS won't be accepted for lines at the counter service restaurants, waiting for seating at table service restaurants, waiting to get into the parks, waiting for the bus, being on a bus, etc. WDW is a very crowded place pretty much most of the year now.

I suggest a rental car (although waiting for the tram might get to you, and the monorail would be a big no as it has been breaking down a lot lately, from what I've heard - but you could get dropped off at the front of the park except at MK so that might help)

Not sure where you will find a place to wait until your DAS time comes up where there will not be a lot of people. Benches are few and far between. Trying to get AC in a shop means you get stuck in there with lots of people. Is it the visual of lots of people moving around, or just in close proximity? You will hear people talking the whole time, plus there's the background music adding to it all. Could you wear noise reducing headphones?

I would think you would be able to get the DAS if you can describe to the CM at GS what your issues are. But there's so much more crowding/waiting/people than just in the attraction queues. Also, the FP queue can be 10-20 minutes long - can you handle that?

I guess what I'm trying to say is - do you think WDW is the place you really want to go for vacation? What is it about WDW that makes you want to go, even though it is full of triggers for you? Is there a way to focus on the positive reasons you want to go while you are there? If you can come up with a list of positive thoughts/reasons, bring that list with you. Have it typed into your phone so you can read it while you are there. Use it as your mantra. I've got anxiety/panic issues, and I've got a few tricks that work for me. My daughter is also very good at reading me, and has saved a vacation or two just by knowing when I am at my limit way before I know it. Can your husband read you, do that for you? You could come up with a saying or signal that lets you know you need to take a break before it gets overwhelming. (My daughter tells me I need a snack :) She's probably thinking I need a smack though ;) )

When you go to GR to ask for a DAS they do not care about your DX just why waiting in lines is hard for you and what you need.

a DAS will not make all lines go away there are still lines that you will have to wait in so you will need to come up with something fro these times, would music help a stress ball,

as a PP said make a good touring plan, use FP ( I like to have my FP starting around 10:30 and then next one 11:30 and 12:30 ( or have a break fro lunch. you can get another one after you use your first three. Try to go during a slower time and if the parks are too busy for you hop to another one or go back to your hotel and just have some fun ( like swim) or walk around some of them are amazing and you do not have to stay at them to see them. then head back latter to the parks.

and remember a DAS dose not work for most night time show, or most meet and greets.

I'm going to be blunt, but please know I'm not trying to be mean.

Walt Disney World is one of the most popular travel destinations in the world and with that popularity comes crowds and waits. Yes, a DAS will shorten your time in lines for rides, but there will still be waits where you are surrounded by people. Security, restaurants, bathrooms, stores. They all can have waits in close proximity to other people. And there are few places where you can sit where there won't be others sitting close to you.

If you mental state is as fragile as you say and you can't leave the house most days, it doesn't sound like a DAS will be enough support during your trip. I urge you to honestly look within yourself and think about if this is the right destination for you right now. I would hate for you and husband to spend money on a trip and have to spend most of your time in the hotel room.

if you get denied at one guest service, be polite and head to another one, getting DAS is up to the cast members that you get, and some are very knowledge about your issues and some don't, just be straight on your need to be away from the physical line, be clear about your struggles and above all be honest, and don't get discouraged. Have a great trip:wave:

It looks like, between WDW and Universal, you've gone at least a few times. What strategies did you use on those previous trips to help? As others have said, you'll need them, even with a DAS. Good luck.

Seconding what a few other's have said: really think if Disney is the vacation spot for you. There's a ton of people and lines that the DAS won't prevent you from being in, the possibility of being patted down by security, constant over-stimulation no matter where you go.

You'll need to be prepared to have to ask multiple times maybe, and to be shamed for asking for it. I had an especially rude CM once tell me that anxiety isn't real and that I wasn't eligible... thankfully my friend was also a GS CM at the time in the same location and I saw her. But his attitude sort of ruined my trip, I felt horribly guilty the couple of times I used the DAS and didn't use it more when I should have because I just heard him in my head saying I wasn't really disabled (sidenote: I'm on disability. I know I'm disabled and have the government, if no one else, behind me on that).

Think about what coping tools you have other than the DAS and know that you'll need those first. The DAS is a good tool, but it's only a tiny part of making a vacation possible for folks like us.

Bottom line: there is ZERO way to guarantee with 100% certainty that you will be given a DAS, or that it will make all/any aspects of the trip manageable ahead of time. which means you have the uncertainty until you arrive at a park the first time.. and when/if you are denied, what will you do then?

Disney is crowded every day, all day. just walking from place to place you will be surrounded by crowds, and there is no giving yourself a personal bubble of 5 feet in each direction.

I just renewed a DAS yesterday at DISNEYLAND for my son. The CM told me he has to ask me 2 questions and they are he only two questions they are now allowed to ask.

1. What part of waiting in traditional lines is difficult?

2. Will/does having a DAS make your experience in the park better?

That is it. They cannot and will not ask what diagnosis/condition you have. They will not use their judgement of said conditions to grant or deny a DAS.

My takeaway was they really won't deny anyone a DAS unless the issue can be overcome by the use of a wheelchair, ECV, or stroller as wheelchair tag. Anything outside of mobility issues well be granted a DAS.

I just renewed a DAS yesterday at DISNEYLAND for my son. The CM told me he has to ask me 2 questions and they are he only two questions they are now allowed to ask.

1. What part of waiting in traditional lines is difficult?

2. Will/does having a DAS make your experience in the park better?

That is it. They cannot and will not ask what diagnosis/condition you have. They will not use their judgement of said conditions to grant or deny a DAS.

My takeaway was they really won't deny anyone a DAS unless the issue can be overcome by the use of a wheelchair, ECV, or stroller as wheelchair tag. Anything outside of mobility issues well be granted a DAS.

If they truly do stick to this, the DAS will soon become as abused as the GAC. While they were never supposed to ask about diagnosis, these two questions could apply to just about anyone, disabled or not.

The second question should be completely dropped, since every single guest in the park would have a better experience if they could have a DAS.

If they truly do stick to this, the DAS will soon become as abused as the GAC.

The second question should be completely dropped, since every single guest in the park would have a better experience if they could have a DAS.

To your first point, you have to explain what kind of difficulties you experience pretty thoroughly. You can't just say "I can't wait in lines." Sure people might abuse the system, but those kinds of people are probably ALREADY abusing the system.

The second question is newer. We have been asked it when renewing our DAS the past two times (2 months ago, and last week). THIS seems to be Disney's focus with the DAS. They WANT to hear that this program is helping guests STAY IN THE PARKS LONGER. This is their ultimate goal. Families who have to leave after an hour or two due to a meltdown or sensory overload aren't spending money in the parks. They might give up on theme parks and not come back. The DAS is designed to level the playing field, as it were, so that people can overcome the issues that make theme parks difficult for them to enjoy with their families.

Last time I renewed our son's DAS, they pointedly asked, "are you able to spend more time in the park with the DAS." For our family, the answer is a definitive YE$.

I'm going to open up what you've said here so we can look at some of these points in at a time. If it seems like I'm arguing, please believe me, I'm not. I've been where you are, I know how badly it can hurt to be this worried about vacationing. So let me pick apart your post a bit, not because it's bad, but to let us disassemble it some and let us get a better view...

1. I just can't seem to book the vacation cause I'm scared they won't give me a DAS.
  2. I suffer from depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, schizophrenia, and SEVERE anxiety.
  3. I take 12mg of xanax a day and I still only leave my house 2 months out the year.
  4. I just cant wait a long time near alot of ppl. I needa wait somewhere else to keep my brain busy so i dont overthink things or think that ppl are talking about me. I will freak out.
  5. And if they dont give me a DAS i wont be able to go and our whole vacation will be ruined.
  6. I'm just so worried :-(
So let me take each of these concerns in order. Maybe I can give some insight. Maybe the best I can do is a funny quip. Maybe I'll offend you deeply. I try to avoid that one ... But it happens. Here we go.
  1. A common anxiety trap is to build a problem up as having only one resolution. Do not go into this believing that your vacation is 100% ruined if they don't give you a DAS.
  2. I watched the WTC towers fall knowing that she would be under them on her way to work. She got out, we lived happy ever after eventually, but for 10+years I was a wreck. The paranoia built to point where I was willing to believe that somebody out there was after me. I developed a strategy of always trying new approaches to managing my anxiety and panic. I won't tell you how to manage, but maybe I've tried something you haven't yet.
  3. I love benzo. They drop a building panic storm to nothing. They are easily the best occasional sleep aid for anxiety insomnia. But 12mg a day is a lot and it's not working. What else you got to work with, I mean don't tell me I'm a stranger, but there is something else right? When I was at this stage I was on Seroquel. I hated it. It did everything I didn't want. Made me sleep 20 hours a day. Turned me into a zombie. Hated being on it. But after three months I finally had rested comp!etely for first time in years. So I shut that one down and we tried effexor xr. Another medicine I learned to despise. But it worked. It's side effects were okay but there is a vicious discontinuation syndrome that had me weening myself off it much slower than even my doc said was slow enough. The withdraw is awful but while I was taking it I was learning how to function around people again. It's took 6+ years before I was done with it. Throughout I've had shrinks work with me helping me find which benzos work best for which types of stress. We even went old school, chloral hydrate and Quaaludes. Untill I know exactly what it will take to get me back into a more human frame of mind and with that certainty I take a lot less of the drugs.
  4. Is your husband able to intuitively your condition and run interference? By now, my mate can tell when I'm ramping up or shutting down and she will create whatever distraction I need whether we are in line, in the plane, or on an empty beach.
  5. *If they don't give you a DAS you may certainly go and enjoy yourself and nothing need be ruined. It may mean you will have to change how you go and what attractions you see, more shows, less rides, more classic attractions. See if the $200 or $300 vip tours are available for your time frame. Go see the backstage train tour. Schedule character dining. There is a ton of magic for you at WDW. You'll find it.
  6. Your worry is evident. My heart breaks at it. But I also perceive in your writing a similarly tenacious will to do this thing.
* Get some corroborating points from your doctor's and roll into guest services. They'll give you a DAS. Don't be afraid to play it a little high pitched, whatever it takes to let them know that without help they will have a most unmagical guest loudly touring their parks. But just remember, whatever help they give you, or don't you'll have a husband nearby that cares and ... You'll be alright.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have a problem getting a das.

But as someone with anxiety and claustrophobia, I'm gonna join the people who think you should rethink your destination. I only enjoy Disney when I'm actively managing my anxiety. If I'm in a bad place or I've been "spiraling" more than usual, I know it's a really bad idea to go into the parks or any other high stress situation. Because that's what it is from noise to bus crowds to QS lines- all high stress.

One way we cope is to book TS. Quiet, character free TS. It's a good chance to decompress.

* Get some corroborating points from your doctor's and roll into guest services. They'll give you a DAS. Don't be afraid to play it a little high pitched, whatever it takes to let them know that without help they will have a most unmagical guest loudly touring their parks. But just remember, whatever help they give you, or don't you'll have a husband nearby that cares and ... You'll be alright.

Good luck.

Threatening the CM that you will be unruly if they don't give you a DAS? Not good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!