If you focus on what you left behind, you will never be able to see what lies ahead

Moms of 5 Kid's Club first Disney Cruise!
5k ears.jpg

Ran the Princess half while my girls did the dashes
Deerun.jpglemon run.jpg

Rival Run Half, next year legacy!!!
rival run 2019.jpg

PR'd the Broad St. 10 miler in the freezing rain. Yay for new runDisney POT!!
broad st medal.jpg

My look for this race was hobo chic
broad st rain.jpg

Took DS4 on a Mother/Son Disney trip while the other kids were in school. This was his first coaster and I was little worried he was going to be afraid but there he is in the back beaming away! The little girl in front of us not so much
7D.jpg

DD 6's birthday trip to NYC. Hoping to run a race there someday!
Lemon nyc.jpg

more of 2019 in next post

2019 Continued

At this point in 2019 Mike started interview for a job in Savannah. He really like the company and the surrounding area so he decided to take it. While he started right away I stayed back in FL to sell the house. Little did we know what was suppose to take a couple weeks turned into 2 months. Luckily he was fairly close and could come home on the weekends but running completely fell to the wayside.

Finally move to GA yay?! Clearly DS4 is thrilled
GA house.jpg

Previous owners poured the pool the day they found out they were leaving so that was a huge plus, the downside is they left the yard a mess. We have some work to do!
pool.jpg

Wine and Dine 10k
nice to be running again! And thankful I didn't sign up for the half
W&D 2019.jpg

Birthday at Disneyland with @wehrengrizz bdaydl.jpg
bday dl 2.jpg

Penny's glad I'm home
pig!.jpg

And some Marathon Weekend 2020 pictures for ya

I'm not going to lie I had my doubts during my training for this half but I did it!!
WDWMW.jpg

Such a pretty cake!
WDWMW2.jpg

Cheering on the marathoners!!
WDWMW3.jpg

I didn't want to see a carb again after this meal
WDWMW4.jpg

Next up- Curing my Post Marathon Weekend Blues

I am here for this! Front and center and along for the ride!!!!
I am here too! Thank you for the Jello shot stop during the marathon!!
Can’t wait to read about what’s next! You guys were awesome during marathon weekend!
Hopefully we'll see you in April and you & my husband get something better than a spatula for your legacy present :)
You’re back!! Yay!!
Thank you guys for the warm welcome back!!

Post marathon weekend blues are real y'all!!

In 2019 I skipped Marathon weekend because I had bronchitis that just would not quit. So I knew I was going for 2020 no matter what. And thanks to @mrsg00fy @TeeterTots and @sourire it ended up being the best Marathon Weekend yet!
I even have a photo to prove it

WDWMW10K2020.jpg
Here we are after the 10k!

What I wasn't counting on was having the blues once I got home. Out of curiosity I decided to see what kind of races were going on in my area. At first it wasn't serious. I mean I just got home I didn't want to drive too far to run again. BUT the Jekyll Island Half Marathon popped up in my search. It's about an hour's drive south so I could wake up that morning and drive down no problem. I decided to mention it to Mike and to my surprise he was onboard and wanted to tag along with the kids and make a day of it.

My only hang up was that online registration was closed and it was getting near capacity. So I decided to take a gamble, after Mike got off work on Friday we drove down and I was lucky enough secure a bib! Now it was real.

DS10's birthday was Saturday so it flew by
and before I knew it the alarm was going off at 5am Sunday. I grabbed my running gear and a change of clothes while DH got the kids ready. They were actually great sports about getting up so early on a non school day.

As we pulled up to the start line an hour later I checked the weather one last time to see if I needed my rain hat. Luckily the rain got pushed back and it was going to be a clear run. 65 and partly cloudy was the prediction. Perfect running weather! A little sad it was a week too late for Marathon Weekend but it is what it is.

I snapped a picture of the beautiful sunrise as I got out of the car. It made me feel like it was going to be a good day!

JIHMSUN.jpg

I went for a 1/2 mile warm up to try to get myself back into old habits and while I was running the gun went off for the marathon. When I saw the runners go streaming by I thought for a second you know I could PR this thing. But then quickly I had to reigned myself back in - Let's be realistic here, you haven't had a great training cycle, you just ran a half last weekend lets just try to finish this thing.

I knew I had 10 minutes until the Half start so I went back to the car to say good bye to everyone and then made my way to where people were lining up. I put my ears buds in and had my music cued up for the start. Then the countdown begins and the bullhorn sounds. But wait only some of the people moved. I was a little confused until I remembered there was also a 10k still waiting for their start. So I jumped into gear and started towards the line, making an impromptu Dead Last Start.

Still not sure of how I wanted to run this race, I quickly tossed around some goals in my head that could be in reach. I settled on a 3 hour finish and then quickly changed it to under 3 hours. Now since making my running come back I have been training with run/walk/run. It was the only way I knew I would get back to running without hating it. It's been working but during races I'm not so keen on using it. Sometimes because of crowding and sometimes because I feel like I won't be viewed as a real runner. Over marathon weekend I straight ran the 5k & 10k and for the half I walked when I felt like I needed to. But this race I decided run/walk/run would be best and I used my go to interval of 2:00/:30.

The first mile was road along the edge of the island. Not very scenic since you couldn't see the beach. Mostly just hotels but it was pancake flat, just the way I like my races! Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the first marker but it .2 early and I was thrown off. What would that mean for the rest of the race? Did they know it was off? Who measured this thing? I calmed myself down and just kept on.

Mile 2- I noticed these ladies in front on me and the thought popped in my head they will not beat me today! So I focus on them, this is where the cruelty of run/walk/run comes in. Just when I would get close they would start running or I would have a walk break... ugh. About that time the 10k runners were released and before I knew it they were all around me. I just wanted to scream it's ok I'm running the half gotta save my legs! Another reminder to myself that this is my race stop worrying about other people.

Mile 3- Finally passed the ladies in black!!! I also started picking out my retirement beach home :beach:

Mile 4- Found my groove and was feeling awesome. I knew I was going to hit my goal today. And then new targets! Lady in green and Lady in purple I'm coming for you! But They weren't going down so easy. I let the Horton House distract me for a moment
JIHMHOUSE.jpg

Mile 5- I downed a couple of my Clif Bloks and came up on the first water stop with fuel (water was every 1.5 miles). This was also the break off point for the marathon. Now I had a marathon bib on since they ran out of half bibs and this proved to be confusing for people until I got closer and they could see 1/2 marathon written on my bib with sharpie.

*I have to say I was impressed by the water stations for this race. Each one had Tailwind, water and lots of Gu's to chose from. Since I bring my own Clif Bloks I only grabbed water.*

At mile 5.5 we made a U-turn and had to move onto the Island's bike path. The path had a much better view of marshland and the bridge that leads to St. Simon's island. And It was then I finally passed green and purple!! But a couple minutes later there they were passing me again! I can't have that! So I kicked it in gear and passed them once and for all. Now that I was in the clear I pulled out my phone to send a quick text to Mike about where I was. There was no runner tracking and I wanted to keep him in the loop. He quickly texted back that they were enjoying the island's turtle so I felt a little less guilty about waking them up so early.

Mile 6 next target acquired girl with headphones (don't ask me where I get these names from!) she was an easy take down

Mile 7 we turned off the bike path and down a road to a picnic area, that's when I passed blue leggings. After the shady picnic area we crossed a little foot bridge and came to mile 8. Mile 8 was mostly parallel to mile 7 just on the other side of the wetlands.

JIHMPATH.jpg

I was pretty alone at that point but I did noticed a gray shirt up ahead so that became my next goal. Once I passed her I was all alone and the wind was picking up. I was so close to the beach I could hear the waves. At a small bend in the path I looked ahead and noticed the path turned to sand. *** no one said anything about sand?!

JIHMBEACH.jpg

Thankfully the sand was short lived and before I knew it I was out of it and back to the bike path along the main road.

Mile 9- Smooth sailing. Pace was looking good and I was headed back towards the finish. I tried to look for more people I could target but I wasn't seeing anyone. Then suddenly I saw some orange. Ok orange I'm coming for you! And then it dawns on me that it's a course cone :upsidedow
I laugh at myself and keep my focus on my pace.

Mile 10- Just 3 miles to go! Less than 45 mins and I am done! Looking at the time I started wondering when I was going to get passed by the marathon runners. Then at water station at mile10.5 I hear the lady say there's one of the marathon runners. I moved over on the path to make sure they didn't have to weave around me and then like a gust of wind the runner was around me and cruising towards the finish. I'm still so in awe of those fast runners that make it look so effortless!

Mile 11- Just kept pushing myself as I chant the Gorilla isn't tired yet. Which is my favorite mantra given to me by @roxymama , I'm not even sure if she remembers but she once left me a post about how you don't give up when your tired but when the gorilla is. All these years later I still tell myself that when the race gets tough.

Then the bike path turned from the road to the beach and before I knew it mile 12! I was passing people here and there but it wasn't on my mind so much anymore so I can't remember any. But then I noticed two girls in pink. I said I'm going to give it my all to pass them! My feet were starting to hurt at this point and I was doubting if I could keep pace until the end but I couldn't let that gorilla win! No matter how bad I wanted to just keep walking I kept up those dang intervals. I ended up passing the pink girls just before 13. And then I looked over and there was my family cheering for me. I'm telling you it made my day to see them there with there little hands out for high fives!!!

I rounded the corner and gave one final push to the finish and came in at 2:59:50!!! Not a PR but it was what I was looking for that day! I got my medal and snacks and turned to snap a picture of the finish line

JIHMFINISH.jpg

Then my kids came running up to tell me all about their morning and I limped my way to the car (seriously might be time for new shoes!).

From there we decided to let the kids explore Driftwood Beach, this was the beach I had just ran next to. We've been to Jekyll Island before but never made it to this beach. It's really a site to see! The driftwood is 100s of whole trees along the beach. And for any Walking Dead fans out there this is where the Ocean Side beach scenes are filmed.

The kids had a blast and I got some pretty cool medal pictures.

JIHMMEDAL.jpg

JIHMKIDS.jpg

This race proved to be the cured for my post Marathon Weekend Blues! I am officially worn out and looking forward to some rest days. Oh and this also checked Georgia off my 50 State Bucket list. So now I am up to

Florida
California
Nevada
Maryland
Louisiana
South Carolina
Georgia

Hoping to check off many more this year!
Next race will be even closer to home at the Best Damn Race Savannah. Stay Tuned!

I’m here too! I ran the Jekyll Island Half in 2018! I’d love to go back and run it again. I loved the course.
It really was a great course! Did you do the full? I considered running the full for a second because the time limit was so generous but I knew I wasn't prepared.

Congrats on the half! I’m excited to check off my third state next month.
Thanks! What state are you going for next month? I may be looking at a half in Wisconsin in the near future. If I end up up there I might pick your brain about places to see while I'm there. All I know about Milwaukee is what I saw in Wayne's World :rotfl2: and now I feel old

Way to go! Super proud of you!!!
Thank you!!! I love your new profile pic!!

Thanks! What state are you going for next month? I may be looking at a half in Wisconsin in the near future. If I end up up there I might pick your brain about places to see while I'm there. All I know about Milwaukee is what I saw in Wayne's World :rotfl2: and now I feel old
I’m doing RnR NOLA.

Some good options for half’s in the area. I’ve only run one half here though lol. I’m looking for a spring half but not sure what or where yet.

I’m doing RnR NOLA.

Some good options for half’s in the area. I’ve only run one half here though lol. I’m looking for a spring half but not sure what or where yet.
Your going to have a blast in NOLA!!

I'm thinking of doing the First Call HM in March with a friend. Flights are crazy expensive right now but I'm hoping they come down so I can commit!

Your going to have a blast in NOLA!!

I'm thinking of doing the First Call HM in March with a friend. Flights are crazy expensive right now but I'm hoping they come down so I can commit!
Honestly don't know a lot about that one. Knowing WI though March we could still have snow on the ground. Let me know if you sign up!

It really was a great course! Did you do the full? I considered running the full for a second because the time limit was so generous but I knew I wasn't prepared.

Thank you!!! I love your new profile pic!!

When I ran they only had the half or 5K as options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!