If you use a car seat on the plane, please come in

And honestly, with the complete lack of legroom on airplanes now, I’ve been in front of adults who banged into my seat more far than my child’s tiny feet could ever affect someone. And that’s without even reclining. That’s just life on an airplane.

No, it is not just life on an airplane. Most adults don't sit behind you and intentionally kick kick kick the back of the seat in front of them. Being on an airplane is not an excuse to be rude, or to bang on other people's seats.

The best thing to do if you know ahead of time your child is a kicker and you are traveling with family is to put family in front of the child. That way at least they are only annoying someone who loves them:p and will be more tolerant.

No, it is not just life on an airplane. Most adults don't sit behind you and intentionally kick kick kick the back of the seat in front of them. Being on an airplane is not an excuse to be rude, or to bang on other people's seats.

The best thing to do if you know ahead of time your child is a kicker and you are traveling with family is to put family in front of the child. That way at least they are only annoying someone who loves them:p and will be more tolerant.

I’m not saying it is an excuse to be rude at all, I’m saying it’s tight quarters and you have zero personal space, you can’t expect to never hear see or get bumped by another human. I would never just let my child kick a seat, but when she gets tall enough that her feet touch the seat in front when reclined there is zero I can do about that. That was all I was trying to get across. Often the people who scream loudest about being kicked have reclined their seat right into that child’s legs, which are higher and farther forward because of a car seat.

I’m not saying it is an excuse to be rude at all, I’m saying it’s tight quarters and you have zero personal space, you can’t expect to never hear see or get bumped by another human. I would never just let my child kick a seat, but when she gets tall enough that her feet touch the seat in front when reclined there is zero I can do about that. That was all I was trying to get across. Often the people who scream loudest about being kicked have reclined their seat right into that child’s legs, which are higher and farther forward because of a car seat.

The seats are made to recline. Reclined or not, it is not ok for a child to repeatedly kick the seat. Which is why I suggested putting a family member in front of them if possible. Or resigning yourself to holding their legs down. If a child is a kicker, it is up to the parent to handle the problem. Not to throw their hands up in the air and say Oh Well, what can you do?

The seats are made to recline. Reclined or not, it is not ok for a child to repeatedly kick the seat. Which is why I suggested putting a family member in front of them if possible. Or resigning yourself to holding their legs down. If a child is a kicker, it is up to the parent to handle the problem. Not to throw their hands up in the air and say Oh Well, what can you do?

Hold their legs down? Have you ever used a car seat on an airplane with a 2 year old? When the person in front of them reclines in some planes, their feet literally touch the seat and have no where to go. Their legs aren’t long enough to bend at the end of the car seat and they stick straight forward. There is no holding them down unless I wanted to break them, or fold her up like a pretzel... for 4 hours. Why should I have to hold my child down so the person in front can recline? I paid just as much for her ticket as they did theirs, so why should they get to be comfortable while she has to be made uncomfortable by being held down?

I am so lucky that we have had very considerate and understanding people in front of us on every flight we’ve taken with her.

Hold their legs down? Have you ever used a car seat on an airplane with a 2 year old? When the person in front of them reclines in some planes, their feet literally touch the seat and have no where to go. Their legs aren’t long enough to bend at the end of the car seat and they stick straight forward. There is no holding them down unless I wanted to break them, or fold her up like a pretzel... for 4 hours. Why should I have to hold my child down so the person in front can recline? I paid just as much for her ticket as they did theirs, so why should they get to be comfortable while she has to be made uncomfortable by being held down?

I am so lucky that we have had very considerate and understanding people in front of us on every flight we’ve taken with her.

Why? Because as their parent it is your job to make as sure as possible that they don't annoy others. The seats are made to recline, the person reclining is doing nothing wrong, but a child constantly kicking the seat in front of them is.

It is no more acceptable to let a child repeatedly kick the seat in front of them than it is to let the scream and not try and do something about it. If you try people are usually understanding. But what I am getting from your post is more along the line of oh well, no big deal, what can I do. Again, the seats are made to recline and someone using that function is doing nothing wrong. And shouldn't be penalized for it by kicks to their seat back.

Kids don't always behave as we want them to, I'm not saying it would be easy by any means. I am just reacting to the vibe I'm getting that you are blaming the victim. If someone has flown multiple times with their child and knows they kick, they need to do whatever they can to mediate it. Again, if possible put a family member in front of them. What shouldn't happen is shrugging it off and blaming the person they keep kicking.

Why? Because as their parent it is your job to make as sure as possible that they don't annoy others. The seats are made to recline, the person reclining is doing nothing wrong, but a child constantly kicking the seat in front of them is.

It is no more acceptable to let a child repeatedly kick the seat in front of them than it is to let the scream and not try and do something about it. If you try people are usually understanding. But what I am getting from your post is more along the line of oh well, no big deal, what can I do. Again, the seats are made to recline and someone using that function is doing nothing wrong. And shouldn't be penalized for it by kicks to their seat back.

Kids don't always behave as we want them to, I'm not saying it would be easy by any means. I am just reacting to the vibe I'm getting that you are blaming the victim. If someone has flown multiple times with their child and knows they kick, they need to do whatever they can to mediate it. Again, if possible put a family member in front of them. What shouldn't happen is shrugging it off and blaming the person they keep kicking.

Im not talking about kickers that can be avoided, and never have been, so maybe you are misunderstanding my point. Personally I find your position that Oh well, the child will just have to be uncomfortable because they literally cannot stretch their legs straight, to be equally disconcerting. I can’t reposition a child in a car seat. If they are stuck with their feet jammed into the back of your seat because you chose to recline, I would hope you took their comfort into consideration. You’re asking a parent to be considerate to you but not willing to do the same for them. I’d much rather not recline than have a child so uncomfortable they threw a fit and a stressed out Mom trying to figure out on earth she can possibly do to solve that, while I held my ground that I’m entitled to recline.

And it’s not always possible or realistic to get the seat in front.

But we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Both of our kids used car seats on planes until they were about 4yo or so.

Before you leave for the airport, make sure that you practice installing your car seat w/ a seat belt (there aren’t any lower anchors on airplanes) and that you can locate the red text on one of the labels stating that the seat is approved for use on aircraft. The flight attendant may ask to see the text and it will be smoother if you know exactly where to point!

I highly recommend rear facing as long as you can as it prevents the heavily discussed kicking issues. Once we had two kids traveling, we placed the older kid in the seat in front of the younger kid. Having your little one facing you also helps you be able to interact with them easier.

Use a collapsible luggage cart or a Traveling Toddler (strap to attach a car seat to a rolling carry on) to move the seat through the airport.

I generally sent my dh on board to install the seat while I stayed in the gate area and let our toddler burn off more energy before boarding. By the time we got on, the car seat was set up and he put most of the carry ons away.

Additionally, if your toddler is 2yo or older, I would talk to them about what to expect at the airport. Describe what it will be like to go through security, etc. We found it helpful to have one parent go through, then the child, then the second parent. Also, if there is a well loved stuffed animal or lovey, they need to know it has to go through the X-ray. Easier to manage that expectation than have a meltdown in the TSA line!

For the flight itself, I pack a small child’s backpack only w/ small toys and books for the trip. All the diapers, wipes, extra clothes, and snacks go in mom & dad’s bags. I tried to balance the backpack contents with some well loved favorites along with some new surprises (that they don’t see until the flight). Each item is introduced individually to prolong the joy of new, exciting stuff!

A cool item to bring in the backpack is a small, travel sized Magnadoodle. The small ones have attached “pens” and this avoids crayons or markers rolling around the floor of the plane. Stickers and sticker books are also excellent ways to pass the time. For even younger toddlers, a simple paper cup and a small character/figure playing hide and seek could amuse them for hours!

Don’t be surprised if your little one falls asleep in their car seat. My older one usually was out like a light before we even lifted off. The white noise of the airplane engines put her right out. The younger one didn’t sleep as much, but did occasionally.

Check out this link at Car Seat Blog. It runs through recommended seats for airline travel, as well as installation and usage tips. At the bottom of the article there are links to other blog entries pertaining to using car seats on airplanes.

Good luck! With a little preparation, I found using the car seat on board actually made our flights easier. Our kids were secure in a familiar seat and they knew they had to stay in it just like they do in the car. :-)

which is what the mother told the FA I can not stop him and don't bother me about it. I am guessing her attitude had a lot to do with her and her child being the ones moved

because maybe the person in front of you can not remain straight for the same 4 hours. yes if I had to do that it would take EMTs to get me off the plane which would mean they would be meeting the plane and you would have to remain seated longer. in fact that was what this mother told the FA "too bad I can stop him" it was at that point they,FAs, made the decision to move her and her child to the back of plane while plane was in air. I did not make the decision to have them move her.

Plan to be a little flustered lol! We rode with my 2 1/2 year old and a carseat a couple years ago and we felt rushed because we only had an extra couple minutes to get it in before they let the other groups come in. However, it was so nice to have him strapped in instead of running around or wanting to run around. He's now 6 and we are gate checking his booster seat for our rental. We have a 2 1/2 year old again this time and planning on dealing with it again. He's really squirmy and loves to be mobile, so it's going to be a lifesaver. Also make sure if you do bring a carseat, it is FAA approved. We love our Cosco brand specifically for flying - it's lightweight and easy to get on and off the plane.

As soon as you get to the gate (early!!) let the attendant know that you need to install a car seat and ask if you may pre-board with the priority group so that you do not block the aisle and slow down boarding. It is tight quarters as it is, but add the car seat and 100 people and I get very flustered very quickly! I was only denied once, on AA (they stink at accommodating families) and lo and behold I had a FA trying to hurry me to get the seat in so people could get by. I made a point to “apologize” later when drinks came and told her that I did ask the gate attendant if I could pre-board so I wasn’t holding up boarding and I was denied.

You mentioned a harness in another post, if your kiddo is old enough for a harness they don’t need to be rear facing. It really is more of a hassle for you because you can’t reach around it or under it, can’t use the tray or in-seat screen, etc. Because in a plane you are more worried about up and down turbulance, not a head on car crash, rear facing really isn’t any safer once they have strong head and neck control and can protect their airway.

My advice is to keep babe buckled in the whole time. Once you let them out you’ve opened a can of worms. My DD will sit happily for a good 4 hours, past that we try to do a lay over, but even just a getting out for a diaper and right back in is a good little stretch. We treat it just like the car, you stay buckled in the car all the time, same with the airplane (and same goes for our big kids too, just good safety habits when flying)

Hi - my child is 13 months. Weight is just at the beginning for the Cares harness. But she is staying rear facing until 2 years...

We won't have a television (southwest) and our flight is around 2.20 hrs. I also agree, I have no plans to unleash the beast unless I have to! :) That would be serious trouble.

As soon as you get to the gate (early!!) let the attendant know that you need to install a car seat and ask if you may pre-board with the priority group so that you do not block the aisle and slow down boarding. It is tight quarters as it is, but add the car seat and 100 people and I get very flustered very quickly! I was only denied once, on AA (they stink at accommodating families) and lo and behold I had a FA trying to hurry me to get the seat in so people could get by. I made a point to “apologize” later when drinks came and told her that I did ask the gate attendant if I could pre-board so I wasn’t holding up boarding and I was denied.

You mentioned a harness in another post, if your kiddo is old enough for a harness they don’t need to be rear facing. It really is more of a hassle for you because you can’t reach around it or under it, can’t use the tray or in-seat screen, etc. Because in a plane you are more worried about up and down turbulance, not a head on car crash, rear facing really isn’t any safer once they have strong head and neck control and can protect their airway.

My advice is to keep babe buckled in the whole time. Once you let them out you’ve opened a can of worms. My DD will sit happily for a good 4 hours, past that we try to do a lay over, but even just a getting out for a diaper and right back in is a good little stretch. We treat it just like the car, you stay buckled in the car all the time, same with the airplane (and same goes for our big kids too, just good safety habits when flying)
I used a car seat for my (then) 3 year old to Hawaii. It was a total nightmare for both me and the poor woman sitting in front of her. The car seat allowed her to kick the seat in front of her. I tried to stop her but she was determined and as soon as I stopped leaning on her she kicked. It was terrible. My advise is that if you child is bigger you may want to skip the car seat.

Hmm baby is 30 inches...not sure if baby will reach the seat in front should I put it forward facing.

@Childs1stTime2Disney OP so sorry your thread got derailed. I really hope this doesn’t discourage you from bringing a car seat which is the safest spot for your kiddo! The vast majority of people you will encounter are considerate and empathetic! ❤️

Nope, still bringing one. I realize now that my child isn't used to a seatbelt (harness) and it is probably a recipe for disaster.

Plan to be a little flustered lol! We rode with my 2 1/2 year old and a carseat a couple years ago and we felt rushed because we only had an extra couple minutes to get it in before they let the other groups come in. However, it was so nice to have him strapped in instead of running around or wanting to run around. He's now 6 and we are gate checking his booster seat for our rental. We have a 2 1/2 year old again this time and planning on dealing with it again. He's really squirmy and loves to be mobile, so it's going to be a lifesaver. Also make sure if you do bring a carseat, it is FAA approved. We love our Cosco brand specifically for flying - it's lightweight and easy to get on and off the plane.

Yes, I am buying the COSCO seat! thank you!

I made the mistake when our oldest daughter was 15 months, buy not purchasing her own seat and bringing her carseat. We flew down to Orlando on SW and it was a hellish trip. From there on, we have always purchased seats for our kids. They love sitting in the window seat!

We are flying with our 2 1/2 year old and are also bringing our car seat along with us, but now I'm afraid the one we were planning on using might not fit in the seat. We are flying SW and have a cosco apt 50 car seat. The SW website says that the widest seats they have are 17.35 inches, but the width of my carseat is 22 inches. Does anyone have this carseat and have trouble fitting it in an airplane seat? I don't want to bank on using this carseat and end up not being able to use it on our flight, my very active 2 year old will be bouncing off the walls without being restrained somehow haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter