Illinois Sales Tax Rate-Is this right?

OhMari

WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator
I live in Wisconsin and our sales tax rate is 5.0%.
If you live in certain Counties, they can add a County Sales Tax on.
I know if you live in certain counties surrounding Green Bay, this is how they got revenue to help pay for Lambeau Field.
My county I live in adds another .5% on, so whenever I shop, it is 5.5% of my total bill.

I was in Chicago (Niles) this weekend by my daughter and we are redoing the baby room and we made a run to Target for curtains. This morning I noticed on my bill it was 10.25% for Sales tax. Yikes.

yup...sounds about right.

That is why DH and I make over 6 figures and are still poor - Cook County Taxes!!

From what I know, and I have only lived in IL for 8 years, the tax rate differs by county and sometimes even by city. I live at the edge of Cook County and our taxes on some things are lower than the City of Chicago taxes, and higher than the next county over that I live much closer to, distance-wise.

In MI, where I am from, taxes are a straight 6% across the board. And no tax on grocery food.

Yeah it can be quite a shock going elsewhere. I called it a nice break when we went down to Orlando and was only charged 6.5% tax lol.

My state's sales tax is 6.5% to begin with. Then you add in county and city tax and special tax districts (either transportation development or community improvement).

Total sales tax in my area is roughly 9.5% (rounding up a bit for easier estimate) to roughly 10.5% (again rounding) throughout the various cities and special taxing districts.

We do not have a break on groceries or anything. All items are the same sales tax rate. With the exception of alcohol and tobacco products which are charged a higher tax rate (aka sin tax).

PA is 6% but not on groceries or clothing. There are a few oddities, but we make up for it with our real estate taxes.

Reactions: CGB

Our tax is 13%. It’s 78% provincial and 5% country wide. Some items are only charged one tax, some none, and some both.

Yes, that's right. We lived in Champaign-Urbana for a few years, and tax there is 9%. For Christmas, I would usually order my presents shipped to Mississippi (where we celebrate Christmas) because the tax was so much cheaper.

Yes, Cook County is awful! I live in DuPage County, next to Cook, and our taxes are 7% for the county. However in our village it is 7.75%.

That's typical around the country. There's usually a set amount that goes to the state, although they do distribute some of that to countries and cities. Maybe the county adds to it. Then maybe individual cities. And on top of that there might be regional sales taxes that go to transportation.

The oddest thing would be large shopping centers across city boundaries.

I live in Wisconsin and our sales tax rate is 5.0%.
If you live in certain Counties, they can add a County Sales Tax on.
I know if you live in certain counties surrounding Green Bay, this is how they got revenue to help pay for Lambeau Field.
My county I live in adds another .5% on, so whenever I shop, it is 5.5% of my total bill.

I was in Chicago (Niles) this weekend by my daughter and we are redoing the baby room and we made a run to Target for curtains. This morning I noticed on my bill it was 10.25% for Sales tax. Yikes.

Illinois state sales tax is 6.25.
Chicago and cook county plus a special assessment adds to that for 10.25
Note Sevier County Tennessee isn't all that far behind
Tennessee State Sales tax 7.00
Sevier county adds 2.75 for 9.75.

The state with the highest average is Tennessee. It differs slightly by county.

That’s why everyone who lives in East TN shops in GA.

Our tax is 13%. It’s 78% provincial and 5% country wide. Some items are only charged one tax, some none, and some both.
Yes we are 12%, 7% Provincial (PST) 5% Federal (GST). Groceries for the most part are tax free, kids clothing/shoes, school supplies is usually only GST not PST. PST on Hotels is 8% not 7% for some reason.

Yes, Cook County is awful! I live in DuPage County, next to Cook, and our taxes are 7% for the county. However in our village it is 7.75%.

yup...DuPage is next door to me and also where I work. We shop and dine there when we eat out too, - and when that stupid Cook County carbonated beverage tax was in effect last year, we always joked about driving "over the border" (I-294) for DH's coke. lol

If we would have known then what we know now....we would have just bought a house in DuPage and saved ourselves a lot of Cook County headaches.

The joy of living in Illinois! I live just south of the WI border so I try and do most of my shopping in WI. Sales tax in various towns around me in Lake county can vary. I have a few receipts here...Antioch 7%, Gurnee 8%, Vernon Hills 7.25%. All within a few miles of each other. Same state.

Yes we are 12%, 7% Provincial (PST) 5% Federal (GST). Groceries for the most part are tax free, kids clothing/shoes, school supplies is usually only GST not PST. PST on Hotels is 8% not 7% for some reason.

Aren’t taxes in Canada usually included in the price? That’s actually a higher rate.

But TN doesn't have a state payroll tax and Illinois does.

Reactions: ICF

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!