Illinois Sales Tax Rate-Is this right?

Be glad you don't live in 'Crook' County. The property taxes make the sales taxes seem fair in comparison. That's why people who do not have high paying jobs here are leaving in droves, but there's no fix in sight.

It's not that easy nowadays though. It used to be but so many charge now-at least for me they do.

Many of the 3rd party retailers on Amazon didn't charge Washington State sales tax until recently. Now I am using smaller online retailers. Many still don't charge sales tax. I usually wait to make big purchases like flat panel TVs and laptops when I visit my daughter at college in Oregon. No sales tax there. The Tigard Costco is a quick detour off of I-5.

Yes we are 12%, 7% Provincial (PST) 5% Federal (GST). Groceries for the most part are tax free, kids clothing/shoes, school supplies is usually only GST not PST. PST on Hotels is 8% not 7% for some reason.

Just the 5% federal tax here still - no provincial tax was a lovely bonus when I moved.

Many of the 3rd party retailers on Amazon didn't charge Washington State sales tax until recently. Now I am using smaller online retailers. Many still don't charge sales tax. I usually wait to make big purchases like flat panel TVs and laptops when I visit my daughter at college in Oregon. No sales tax there. The Tigard Costco is a quick detour off of I-5.
Amazon has been charging sales tax for years now in my state.

But for those 3rd party sellers that don't charge sales tax it's a lot less than it used to be for me. I think that's because a lot of 3rd party sellers seem to be shipped from Amazon (as in the seller sent it to their warehouse to be sold vs the seller sending it from their actual place of business) and thus it gets sales tax charged. I can still find them here and there it's just not as much as it used to be.

As far as other websites it's been a toss up for me but I'm probably using a lot less smaller online retailers than you are so that could be part of my issue so to speak.

Be glad you don't live in 'Crook' County. The property taxes make the sales taxes seem fair in comparison. That's why people who do not have high paying jobs here are leaving in droves, but there's no fix in sight.

For all the talk from shock radio jocks about Chicago, I think you'll find that several midstate cities are shrinking faster than Chicago, which doesn't make the national top 25 shrinking list.

1. Pine Bluff, Ark.
2. Johnstown, Pa
3. Charleston, WV
4. Sierra Vista/Douglas AZ
5. Beckley, WV
6. Weirton Steubenville WV/OH
7. Danville, IL That is in between Urbana and Indianapolis on I-74
8. Wheeling WV/OH
9 Decatur, IL. A bit East of Springfield on I-74
10. Cumberland, WV/MD
11. Flint, MI.
12. Youngstown-Warren Boardman OH/PA
13. Saginaw, MI.
14. Albany, GA
15 Elmira, NY
16 Pittsfield, MA
17 Ocean City, NJ
18. Rocky Mount, NC
19. Binghampton, NY
20. Kankakee, IL. on I-57 about an hour south of Chicago.
21. Lawton, OK
22. Bay city, MI
23 Anniston, Oxford, Jacksonville, AL
24 Rockford, IL About an hour and 30 minutes west, north west or so of Chicago.
25. Lima, OH.

For all the talk from shock radio jocks about Chicago, I think you'll find that several midstate cities are shrinking faster than Chicago, which doesn't make the national top 25 shrinking list.

1. Pine Bluff, Ark.
2. Johnstown, Pa
3. Charleston, WV
4. Sierra Vista/Douglas AZ
5. Beckley, WV
6. Weirton Steubenville WV/OH
7. Danville, IL That is in between Urbana and Indianapolis on I-74
8. Wheeling WV/OH
9 Decatur, IL. A bit East of Springfield on I-74
10. Cumberland, WV/MD
11. Flint, MI.
12. Youngstown-Warren Boardman OH/PA
13. Saginaw, MI.
14. Albany, GA
15 Elmira, NY
16 Pittsfield, MA
17 Ocean City, NJ
18. Rocky Mount, NC
19. Binghampton, NY
20. Kankakee, IL. Another Farmbelt town on I-57 about an hour south of Chicagon.
21. Lawton, OK
22. Bay city, MI
23 Anniston, Oxford, Jacksonville, AL
24 Rockford, IL About an hour and 30 minutes west, north west or so of Chicago.
25. Lima, OH.

And as a government employee in Cook county, I am glad. The real question, without placing blame on any one political party or another, is where is all that money going? It seems no matter how high taxes get, it's never enough. The 10% sales tax was taken away, then brought back and added onto. Income tax went down, then back up again. Property taxes never went anywhere.
Chicago has Lake Michigan. That will always make it a popular location, but I am curious to see how things will pan out in 20, 30, or even 40 years.
And, having grown up in downstate Illinois, I am not at all surprised that Danville, Decatur, and Kankakee are on that list. Those towns unfortunately are essentially Flint, just a little more south.

And as a government employee in Cook county, I am glad. The real question, without placing blame on any one political party or another, is where is all that money going? It seems no matter how high taxes get, it's never enough. The 10% sales tax was taken away, then brought back and added onto. Income tax went down, then back up again. Property taxes never went anywhere.
Chicago has Lake Michigan. That will always make it a popular location, but I am curious to see how things will pan out in 20, 30, or even 40 years.
And, having grown up in downstate Illinois, I am not at all surprised that Danville, Decatur, and Kankakee are on that list. Those towns unfortunately are essentially Flint, just a little more south.

I think you'll find a lot in common on that top 25.
Coal. Manufacturing jobs lost. Farm belt in distress. A lot of those towns have 1, 2, or even all three working against them.

Last edited:
I think you'll find a lot in common on that top 25.
Coal. Manufacturing jobs lost. Farm belt in distress.

Yep. Or industry that moved across the oceans. That's what makes Cook interesting. It hosts headquarters of major businesses yet still struggles to stay afloat.

And I made a genuine comparison for illustrations sake. You tried to change the subject completely.

I was actually trying to add context that while Cook County residents pay sales tax on top of other state taxes, TN doesn't have that additional tax so Cook County residents are taxed at a far higher rate. I didn't realize that we had to have conversations in a bubble but I'll do that from now on.

I was actually trying to add context that while Cook County residents pay sales tax on top of other state taxes, TN doesn't have that additional tax so Cook County residents are taxed at a far higher rate. I didn't realize that we had to have conversations in a bubble but I'll do that from now on.

I thought it was appropriate. People complain that the income tax went up here. When I point out that it is lower than most other states in the midwest, I get countered with "yeah, but added to the property tax and sales tax, it's the worst". It's all money leaving one's pocket in one way or another, unless you are visiting from out of state, so it makes sense to pull in all the context.

By the way, the sales tax in Chicago is high, but not insanely so. The city is really awesome to visit, though. Don't take what I am saying as straight trashing of the area. I love living around here. It's just odd that there is so much money being taken without much explanation of where it is being used.

By the way, the sales tax in Chicago is high, but not insanely so. The city is really awesome to visit, though. Don't take what I am saying as straight trashing of the area. I love living around here. It's just odd that there is so much money being taken without much explanation of where it is being used.

It is and we're taking the kids a couple days this summer. This thread reminded me to adjust my shopping budget for the trip

PA is 6% but not on groceries or clothing. There are a few oddities, but we make up for it with our real estate taxes.

I'm going :offtopic:, sorry.

When we moved from PA to AL, we bought a house. When we closed on it, we both questioned the real estate taxes. We pay about a 1/4 of the taxes that we used to, on a larger house.

So still talking taxes and IL....
Just opened my Verizon wireless billing statement.

I pay IL state 911 fee, IL telecom relay srvc fee, IL state sales tax, IL state telecom excise tax, county sales tax, village sales tax, county Mtd sales tax, and village MTT.
All of those add up to $19.15 every month.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illi...tax-burden-in-midwest-seventh-highest-in-u-s/

Illinois combined sales tax rate is the highest in the midwest and the 7th highest in the nation- higher than NY and California.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...408-property-taxes-primer-20180402-story.html

Our property tax rates are 2nd highest in the nation. Only New Jersey is higher.

There is a reason everyone wants to leave. We have 2 more years of High School and 3+ years until retirement. We are counting the days until we can get the heck out of this state!!! I am hoping to list my home the fall of my son's senior year. It may take a long while to sell because no one is buying here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter