I'm at WDW solo right now...here's what I'm learning

Its great to read these replies, thank you! I've just about come to the end of my first week with another left and can say nothing has changed from my post this far. I've taken a little more time in the middle of the day to unwind which has helped to alleviate any excessive hanging around, so if recommend that. I've had great success with many of the attractions. Today I rode Frozen Ever After, Mission Space, Text Track, Living with the land, the Tomorrowland Speedway, Big Thunder (twice) and Splash Mountain, all without any problems whatsoever, with a 2 hour break at lunchtime for a coffee and sit down at the hotel. I don't do queuing either so this is all thanks to getting fastpasses fairly easily as a party of 1; another benefit of going solo!
Looking forward to my second week now and will of course add more info here if anything else arises.

Awesome, glad to hear you where able to get alot done at Epcot. I only have 2 days total so hitting that when i first get there.

I'm really in awe that you're doing a multi-week solo trip. I'm a huge proponent of solo travel, but the longest I've done at WDW was four nights solo. I guess that's not long enough because by the last day I always feel like I haven't done everything I want to do.

Really appreciate your trip report and look forward to seeing your next week's observations!

I'm really in awe that you're doing a multi-week solo trip. I'm a huge proponent of solo travel, but the longest I've done at WDW was four nights solo. I guess that's not long enough because by the last day I always feel like I haven't done everything I want to do.

Really appreciate your trip report and look forward to seeing your next week's observations!

Very happy to be able to share my thoughts! I'm from the UK so it's hard to justify the travel costs for much less than 2 weeks in my opinion. It's the longest I've travelled abroad solo for, but as far as it is at the moment I'm already wondering how soon I can come back and when I do if I can come for a couple more days still!! I know that there's only a finite amount to do, but the atmosphere and just being here is unbeatable. It's a real escape to me!

• Alot of this is personal but probably especially this point; I haven't so far been whistfully looking at other families feeling lonely, sad and depressed. You might feel differently. I love my family dearly and I love the years I spent with them here but this is different and that's not a bad thing. I'm not finding myself desperately trying to salvage nostalgia at every turn.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I have been coming to Disney World ever since I was a little girl, and have such fond memories of bringing my own kids with me over the years. Slowly, as they've gotten older, started college, gotten married, etc...I'm down to just me and my youngest, and he is now starting college. I've often thought of a solo trip in the future, which I think I would love for so many of the reasons you listed above. Coming from a long distance, we almost always stay for 2 weeks, and I think I would really enjoy a long solo trip. Except I do think about the concept you listed above...I am a very nostalgic person and I will have to work at being able to treasure those wonderful memories without being too wrapped up in it. Time to embrace a new chapter in my life. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I have been coming to Disney World ever since I was a little girl, and have such fond memories of bringing my own kids with me over the years. Slowly, as they've gotten older, started college, gotten married, etc...I'm down to just me and my youngest, and he is now starting college. I've often thought of a solo trip in the future, which I think I would love for so many of the reasons you listed above. Coming from a long distance, we almost always stay for 2 weeks, and I think I would really enjoy a long solo trip. Except I do think about the concept you listed above...I am a very nostalgic person and I will have to work at being able to treasure those wonderful memories without being too wrapped up in it. Time to embrace a new chapter in my life. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

I definitely know what you mean and I do think this will vary from person to person. I will say though I'm also a fairly sentimental nostalgic person too, and I've had the odd moment like watching illuminations that have taken me back, but it's all good memories and I guess now I'm making new ones too! But without a doubt I think this is the biggest probably variant from one solo traveller to the next.

Edit: I'll also add that I'm just a 20 something guy without kids or anything, so my family memories are all of my parents and sister. I guess it'll be different again if you're a parent thinking back to the times you took kids

Last edited:
This is a great thread, thanks for doing it! Sounds like you’re having a wonderful time.

I go to a lot of conferences with my spouse where I am left to my own devices all day including evenings when he is working, but I never let this get in the way of me exploring the city I’m in.

I imagine Disney would be a GREAT place to holiday alone and I am pleased that your report backs that up. Safe, lots to do and no one cares if you’re alone- I did quite a few rides on my own on our last trip and of course no one cares. It’s also extremely safe for solo travellers at all times do the day.

Different from doing a non-solo trip, yes, but enjoyable in many other ways.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Nobody cares that you'e alone and you shouldn't either. I've now ridden a good portion of the rides at MK and EPCOT and at no point had anyone remotely cared that I've been alone. No weird stares (that I've noticed) or comments...No one cares. It's a small world solo? No one cares. Photopass photographers? No one cares. Definitely don't let this be the reason to NOT go to WDW. Granted I haven't done any table service meals alone but I imagine this would be much the same.

My past 2 trips were Solo. Loved it! When I dined at TS locations, I found that the waitstaff seemed to go a little beyond the norm to make sure that I was enjoying my meal. They just seemed a bit more attentive. I also may have been just lucky with the cast members too.

I'm by no means a WDW veteran although I've been somewhere over 10 times in the last 20 years or so. This is my first solo trip and coming from the UK I've allowed a good amount of time. I'm on my third day now and here are some of my thoughts so far:
  • Going solo means you get loads and loads done without necessarily being in a rush; single rider lines are most of the time like fast passes (but can sometimes be slow) and even if there's no single rider line you'll often get picked from the queue to make up numbers
  • As with any WDW holiday you'll do alot of walking, but for some reason I feel like I could be doing more than normal, I guess perhaps because I'm moving around attractions faster.
  • It's harder to pace myself. This may not apply to everyone but when I came with family at some point someone would suggest a break, or a sit down, or a pool afternoon. This feels trickier to "justify" (not that I should need to) on my own.
  • Nobody cares that you'e alone and you shouldn't either. I've now ridden a good portion of the rides at MK and EPCOT and at no point had anyone remotely cared that I've been alone. No weird stares (that I've noticed) or comments...No one cares. It's a small world solo? No one cares. Photopass photographers? No one cares. Definitely don't let this be the reason to NOT go to WDW. Granted I haven't done any table service meals alone but I imagine this would be much the same.
  • The parks strangely feel smaller alone, I think this is because I know what I'm interested in doing and what I'm not so there's no element of compromise needed. For example, I'm not a big shopper. That cuts out alot of stuff and places that I might have otherwise been visiting were I with family and trying to compromise.
  • Alot of this is personal but probably especially this point; I haven't so far been whistfully looking at other families feeling lonely, sad and depressed. You might feel differently. I love my family dearly and I love the years I spent with them here but this is different and that's not a bad thing. I'm not finding myself desperately trying to salvage nostalgia at every turn.
  • Killing spare time can be a little bit more difficult. I'm writing this as I wait for illuminations. Obviously I don't have family or friends to talk to so these kinds of waits can feel a bit longer, but that's kind of just poor planning so far. If I were taking more pool breaks for example that would leave me more to do when I go back to the park in the evening; that's probably what I'll do more of for the remaining time I'm here.

All ways round I'd say if you're thinking about It, go for it. It's not as big, scary and lonely as you might think. If you wanted to meet other solo travellers I'm sure you could too, but also take it from me as someone that isn't interested in meeting other solo travellers that it is still a blast.

Always very happy to answer any questions other traveĺlers may have!

Thank you for posting this. I plan on going solo in October. I’m a hobbyist photographer so I love to take a lot of photos. What resort did you stay at? You said you didn’t do any table service meals, so you did Quick Service meals? Any ‘don’ts’ for solo travelers?

Thank you for posting this. I plan on going solo in October. I’m a hobbyist photographer so I love to take a lot of photos. What resort did you stay at? You said you didn’t do any table service meals, so you did Quick Service meals? Any ‘don’ts’ for solo travelers?
My pleasure! Happy to help. If you'e anything like me then you'll just get engrossed taking pictures, which has been the most relaxing aspect for me by far. Completely switch off and shoot photographs!

Yes all quick service, mainly a budget thing really. I had Bomas and The Wave for ADRs but decided I'd rather just make the most of the meal plan I'm already on.

No real "donts" from me so far. I guess though I'd say don't feel like your holiday is any less important than the families and couples just because your solo. Also don't be afraid of the rides like Frozen, Its a Small World, etc because you're nervous about being the creepy adult alone on the boat. That was my biggest concern but again, nobody really cares.

It's honestly been liberating and the most fun I've had in a long time. As soon as I get back I'll be starting saving and planning for my next solo trip. Although I've got 3 full days left so I'm going to savour every moment!

• Nobody cares that you'e alone and you shouldn't either. I've now ridden a good portion of the rides at MK and EPCOT and at no point had anyone remotely cared that I've been alone. No weird stares (that I've noticed) or comments...No one cares. It's a small world solo? No one cares. Photopass photographers? No one cares. Definitely don't let this be the reason to NOT go to WDW. Granted I haven't done any table service meals alone but I imagine this would be much the same.
This is so true! It's taken me almost a dozen solo trips to fully realize this. As I learned at character meals, unless you bear a striking resemblance to one of whichever characters are there, no one will notice you. And between illness, differing interests, nap time, etc., there are lots of people who aren't on solo trips, but they're solo at the moment. Dr. Phil had a great saying that I can't exactly remember-something about if only you realized how little people care about what you're doing.

I have an inexpensive Kindle Paperwhite that I carry with me when I am at Disney alone. I enjoy visiting some of the resorts and just reading on the porch or in the lobby for a break. I also take it to the pool and have never worried about leaving it on my lounger.

Do you recommend one resort over another as a solo traveler?
Oops missed your other question about resorts. I'm staying at Pop, I've got a refurbished room which I really like. It has the bonus of a coffee machine and a fridge!

It's difficult for me to give recommendations as I've "only" stayed at All Stars Music, Movies, Pop and Caribbean Beach. I'd probably lean towards saying if you're in the value category Pop is a good place to stay as it's not vastly more expensive than the All Stars (sometimes cheaper than movies) but generally has less school groups supposedly. I have seen a few school groups at the hotel on this trip but to be fair I guess that's this time of year for you. The other benefit of Pop is that you can take advantage of AoA food court.

Otherwise I'd say go for the best you can afford. I've resort hopped quite a bit this trip and if I could afford it I'd choose to stay at Poly or AKL.

TL;DR - I can't see any reason as a solo traveller *not* to stay at a certain resort but my experience of different hotels is limited.

This is so true! It's taken me almost a dozen solo trips to fully realize this. As I learned at character meals, unless you bear a striking resemblance to one of whichever characters are there, no one will notice you. And between illness, differing interests, nap time, etc., there are lots of people who aren't on solo trips, but they're solo at the moment. Dr. Phil had a great saying that I can't exactly remember-something about if only you realized how little people care about what you're doing.

Too right my friend! It's so often "all in your head" when it comes to these sorts of things. Before I came on this trip I calmed my nerves by rationalizing that when I went with family when I was younger I often went off on my own for a whole day sometimes and never thought anything of it. There's no reason it should be any different now!

I have an inexpensive Kindle Paperwhite that I carry with me when I am at Disney alone. I enjoy visiting some of the resorts and just reading on the porch or in the lobby for a break. I also take it to the pool and have never worried about leaving it on my lounger.

This is a good idea! Next time I'd like to schedule some more down time. Aside from wandering at a leisurely pace taking photographs some of my favourite moments from this trip have been those quiet, relaxing resort hopping times. Sauntering along the boardwalk, relaxing in the swings on the beach at the Poly, that sort of thing. So I think an eReader is a great way to encourage these sorts of things whilst still being disconnected from the phone!

I love this idea! There are so many neat little nooks and crannies at the resorts where I'd love to just sit and read and relax a bit, but it never really was an option when coming with the family. Great idea with the Kindle!

In the interest of being totally open and honest I will say this; I have just had my second ride where the party I joined as a single rider was clearly not enamoured with having me on board, but in 2 weeks and lots and lots of rides only 2 experiences like this doesn't feel like a big deal. They weren't unpleasant about it, just anyone with half a brain would have been able to tell they weren't thrilled.

My thinking for this though is that this is really their issue, not mine. We're all sharing the park and we're all here to have fun, so they just need to get over themselves.

You also have to see this as a potential issue with rising attractions solo, not visiting WDW solo. You could be visiting with your family and decide to do a single rider line and still have this happen.

In the interest of being totally open and honest I will say this; I have just had my second ride where the party I joined as a single rider was clearly not enamoured with having me on board, but in 2 weeks and lots and lots of rides only 2 experiences like this doesn't feel like a big deal. They weren't unpleasant about it, just anyone with half a brain would have been able to tell they weren't thrilled.

My thinking for this though is that this is really their issue, not mine. We're all sharing the park and we're all here to have fun, so they just need to get over themselves.

You also have to see this as a potential issue with rising attractions solo, not visiting WDW solo. You could be visiting with your family and decide to do a single rider line and still have this happen.
Thanks for sharing .do you mind letting us know which ride?

Thanks for sharing .do you mind letting us know which ride?
Sure, the first time was Big Thunder, although I kind of get that because the rows aren't huge and every other time I've ridden the cast members have put me on my own. This morning was Expedition Everest, which is kind of more ridiculous given that there's an actual line specifically for single riders to fill in the gaps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!