I'm going to look at a popup today! I need help!

JCTigger

All it takes is faith and trust and a little bit o
Hey everyone... found a pop up camper thats in my price range (its used) I'm going to look at it today.. but I have a few questions I just bought a Hyundai santa fe and I would like to put a trailer hitch on it does anyone know about how much that would cost? I've always tent camped so I have NO IDEA what kind of questions I should ask when I go to look at it today its at a Campers inn its a 1996 Coachmen VIKING

Please help!

Thanks so much
Jill

Jill,

Two things I would advise you about.

First, your vehicle should have in its owner's manual the towing capacity which you then have to compare to the GVW (the Gross Vehicle Weight) of the camper. The GVW is the dry weight of the camper plus the CCC cargo carrying capacity (how much "stuff" you can carry in the camper). Obviously you don't want the GVW to exceed the capacity of your tow vehicle. The CCC includes the weight of the propane tanks, water in the dry tank you might fill up, any bikes, folding chairs, clothes, food, and the like. It's real tempting to cram as much stuff as possible when packing for a campout.

Second, make sure you are fully informed on the condition of the camper. Have the seller do everything in front of you from opening it and setting it up to demonstrating all the appliances to closing it up. Inspect the canvas on the inside for dark stains (mold) and any evidence of water leaks from the ceiling. Also look for any ceiling sag. Popups should have their bearings repacked in grease (how often depends on how much usage and mileage) frequently (annually, semi, bi-annual, depends). Might ask when it was last done.

Check out the message board at http://www.popupexplorer.com to learn about popups too.

Good luck!

Bama ED :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter