i'm ridin' solo...HELP!

Hi all, so I've finally decided to take a solo trip and I'm 75% sure about it...Lol. I just need tips! Any tips you can all give would be greatly appreciated :)

Do you always stay on property when you do solo?
Do you rope drop to close?
What are your favorite things to do solo?
Anything else I should know??

Thank you everyone! :earsboy:

edit: this is super spontaneous, going solo, and i have a free 4-Day Park Hopper!

Last edited:
I always like to stay on property, solo or not, and I am definitely a park commando who will maximize my time. When solo you can really get a lot done and move around faster. I find that I prefer some of the more thrilling rides solo, but I still hit everything. Take advantage of the Single Rider lines for Test Track and Expedition Everest. I usually will eat at counter service when solo, but table service is not a problem either. Just go and enjoy your time doing only what you want to do. Have fun!

I always stay on site, solo or not.
I don't do park open to close, don't do it when I'm not solo. I take solo time to take it slow and do things I can't do when my son is with me. I do a lot more park hopping and just wandering around.
My favorite things to do are doing nothing. Sounds silly but I tend to get up early even on vacation but I like to make a cup of coffee and sit out on my balcony if in a deluxe in my pjs and just enjoy the morning. I watch the resorts wake up, take my time getting ready. Sometimes I go down to the QS location and get a breakfast to go and take it back to my room and my balcony. If I'm staying at a value or moderate, I like to go for a long morning walk then go get a cup of coffee in the case of a value or make it in my room in a moderate and find one of the many benches and watch the morning wake up. I take my time and go to the bus stop and hop on the first bus to arrive and just wing my day from there. I rarely make FPs and when I do it is when I'm standing in line for a ride and only if they are close to the time I'll get off the ride. I don't like being tied down to plans. I make ADRs while walking around (to be fair this is what I do when my son is with me too, we just don't like plans) but it's easier with one. I do a lot of just looking at the details of the place, so many things that are missed when you are running from one place to another.

When going to the parks decide what is right for you, if you can last from morning till night then do that. If you need to go back to your resort in the day then do that.

A good Solo thing is the single rider lines, they allow party’s of 1 to get on rides faster.

Hi all, so I've finally decided to take a solo trip and I'm 75% sure about it...Lol. I just need tips! Any tips you can all give would be greatly appreciated :)

Always on property. Always without a car. Always rope drop.
Least favorite thing to do while solo: Character restaurant meals and character meet and greets. I don’t even like those when I’m with people. Favorite things to do solo: Flight of Passage at rope drop followed by a 9:00am fast pass on Flight of Passage. Tea at The Grand Floridian. Food booths around the World Showcase during Arts Festival and Flower Festival. And just about everything else!

A good Solo thing is the single rider lines, they allow party’s of 1 to get on rides faster.

To elaborate, only three rides at WDW have a single rider line: Test Track, Rock'n Roller Coaster, and Expedition Everest. The Test Track one is probably the most advantageous and moves fast because each car seats 6 so there is often a leftover seat. Expedition Everest works pretty fast as well. For Rock'n, the single rider line can be rather slow, depending. They load you into the pre-show room with everyone else and after that you're pretty much merged in. If they have a lot fo Fast Pass users or a surge in the line, you may be held longer than expected. If the line is reasonable anyway, I'd just use standby for this.

So far I've stayed on property. I'm staying off property for my solo December trip. But plan to be back on property for my January trip.
Sometimes. Did on my first visit. On the next trips I usually do rope-drop-to-close only once or twice.
Sitting on the patio next to World Showcase Lagoon behind the Yorkshire County Fish Shop with Fish & Chips and a beer.
Taking the boats from MK to Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge and back for no reason.
Visiting other resorts.
Spaceship Earth over and over.
Having an Old Fashioned at the bar in 50's Prime Time
Don't be afraid of dining solo at Biergarten or 50's Prime time. Take the walk from Epcot to Hollywood Studios. Spend some time at your resort.

I am seriously contemplating a solo trip for September (after labor day) or the week after Thanksgiving. After reading several posts, I have definitely decided to stay on property so I do not have to deal with needing a car. If free dining is offered at the time I am planning to travel, I will add that to my plans. If not, I will just wing it as I go. I am hoping to stay a full week and will plan for a 7 day PH so I can be as whimsical as I feel each day. I am looking forward to shows that my family did not want to do and my new motivation is to discover things I just never noticed when travelling with others. I am going to stop and smell the roses, enjoy all the music, entertainment around the world showcase including enjoying the gardens and quiet places...if they can be found :-) I plan to do the walk between Epcot and HS...never knew it existed. I am also considering doing a tour or two. I have always loved the times we were able to go behind the scenes and learn interesting tidbits. I am definitely not doing a Segway tour...I am too uncoordinated for this :-) I plan to do QS meals and depending where I stay, I will likely bring meals to my room to just kick back and relax. If I go in November, a must do on my list is the Candlelight Processional. Other than that, I am feeling the liberation of not having to please anyone else, but myself:yay:

On site when I go solo.

I actually alternate doing extra magic mornings and extra magic late hours. The early mornings give a great opportunity to do more rides. The late nights allow for doing the fireworks and such. At night doing the outside rides is really a different experience.

I love to do special activities when I go solo. For example, I would do an Imagineer's luncheon. I would do a back stage tour.

Sometimes, I will do an all day and night at a park, but I would take a nap in the afternoon if I do it that way.

I prefer doing more quick service meals when I go solo. I do enjoy the Biergarten and Teppan Edo if I do table service.

I enjoy the live street entertainment at the parks.

edit: this is super spontaneous, going solo, and i have a free 4-Day Park Hopper!
I have stayed both on and off property when going solo. I like on property but when I can use my timeshare points, I will stay off. I am considering going in Jan/Feb next year and staying in one of the Disney Springs Hotels tho.

I definitely stay rope drop to close if off site and usually when onsite as well. However, I will take a break sometimes and hang out over at the Grand Floridian Lobby to get out of the heat and relax a bit.

I just like walking around and enjoying the scenery, going at my own pace and not having to wait for anyone. I also ride whatever I want and do character meet and greets - that is fun!

Have a blast!

I always stay on site, solo or not.
I don't do park open to close, don't do it when I'm not solo. I take solo time to take it slow and do things I can't do when my son is with me. I do a lot more park hopping and just wandering around.
My favorite things to do are doing nothing. Sounds silly but I tend to get up early even on vacation but I like to make a cup of coffee and sit out on my balcony if in a deluxe in my pjs and just enjoy the morning. I watch the resorts wake up, take my time getting ready. Sometimes I go down to the QS location and get a breakfast to go and take it back to my room and my balcony. If I'm staying at a value or moderate, I like to go for a long morning walk then go get a cup of coffee in the case of a value or make it in my room in a moderate and find one of the many benches and watch the morning wake up. I take my time and go to the bus stop and hop on the first bus to arrive and just wing my day from there. I rarely make FPs and when I do it is when I'm standing in line for a ride and only if they are close to the time I'll get off the ride. I don't like being tied down to plans. I make ADRs while walking around (to be fair this is what I do when my son is with me too, we just don't like plans) but it's easier with one. I do a lot of just looking at the details of the place, so many things that are missed when you are running from one place to another.

You sound like me. I do make FP for the big rides though like FOP and Soarin. The best thing about going solo is that there is no 1 best way to do it. The best way for you, OP is to do whatever you feel like doing. When I go solo I spend more time just looking around at all of the detail. I like to go to the Maharjah jungle trek in AK and sit and watch the birds in the aviary. No way would my family sit there and just watch the birds. Do what you want to do, that's the secret.

I stay on site whenever possible - nice when traveling alone as I don't have to think twice if I'm having too much fun at Food and Wine Festival :)

I always like rope drop but especially when solo as there are minimal lines so I don't have to stand there too long. Then I will slow down and people watch, catch the shows that I like, go take a break at the hotel . . . .the best part of going solo is you decide everything based on how you feel. If I don't want to get up - it's fine but I made the choice to deal with the lines. If I get tired and decide I don't want to stay for the night show - also my choice. The freedom to not have to think about anyone else is very freeing.

Oddly, I like going to the parades, various little shows, people watching and doing the stuff most people miss when I'm solo. Also just the random conversations. I stood with a couple for Illuminations that we found out we grew up in little towns 20 miles apart. I sat with a family at a parade and was helping entertain the kiddos by asking them questions - found out we are neighbors where I live now (same subdivision). It really is a Small World!

I do use the kindle app on my phone as well. Sometimes you just want to have a distraction in a long line and if your line mates aren't up for chatting it is a good option.

I stay on site whenever possible - nice when traveling alone as I don't have to think twice if I'm having too much fun at Food and Wine Festival :)

I always like rope drop but especially when solo as there are minimal lines so I don't have to stand there too long. Then I will slow down and people watch, catch the shows that I like, go take a break at the hotel . . . .the best part of going solo is you decide everything based on how you feel. If I don't want to get up - it's fine but I made the choice to deal with the lines. If I get tired and decide I don't want to stay for the night show - also my choice. The freedom to not have to think about anyone else is very freeing.

Oddly, I like going to the parades, various little shows, people watching and doing the stuff most people miss when I'm solo. Also just the random conversations. I stood with a couple for Illuminations that we found out we grew up in little towns 20 miles apart. I sat with a family at a parade and was helping entertain the kiddos by asking them questions - found out we are neighbors where I live now (same subdivision). It really is a Small World!

I do use the kindle app on my phone as well. Sometimes you just want to have a distraction in a long line and if your line mates aren't up for chatting it is a good option.

That's exactly what I am looking forward to. When a few family members got wind of my plans, decided to join me. I panicked at first, thinking that I have really begun to look forward to solo touring for the first time. Fortunately, they are only coming for two of the ten nights that I will be there.

I always stay on disney property, solo or not. I feel safer at disney resorts as a soloist.
Yes i rope drop usually (might have one or two days where i sleep in, but thats unusual lol). And yes i close the parks down.
Fave thing to do....just about anything i please! Thats the beauty of solo trips, no negotiating or whining to deal with from family members. :teeth:
Honestly though, I love people watching, single rider lines, getting a second dole whip without being judged (maybe even a third). The list goes on and on. :)

I've been going solo for so long now that I don't think I would like going with other people! Unlike most of the others, I like to sleep in even at Disney. It is not uncommon for me to not leave my room until Noon or later, but I always close the park and love the nightime lights and fireworks shows most of all. FP+ allows me to make my choices later in the day or sometimes I will make them earlier to force myself to get up and out. :)

I've been going solo for so long now that I don't think I would like going with other people! Unlike most of the others, I like to sleep in even at Disney. It is not uncommon for me to not leave my room until Noon or later, but I always close the park and love the nightime lights and fireworks shows most of all. FP+ allows me to make my choices later in the day or sometimes I will make them earlier to force myself to get up and out. :)
Im like that too! :lmao: My bf mentioned he might want to join me some time on my Disney trips. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea cause i kept thinking about how he'd slow me down. :laughing: Plus he's a vegetarian, which is a bummer because my trips are mainly about F&W. :teeth: I wont be able to share my fave items with him for example. I'd have to make a point to seek out veg friendly booths. Which im sure isnt hard to find. But still.

I still remember my 1st solo trip 27 years ago. I thought I would get lonely sharing the adventure. Friends told me to strike up conversations with ppl in line. 1st day didn't work so well. As I look back I should have not expected a couple on a date to want to share time with me! But the 2nd day I started talking to a Father and 2 boys in line for MK to open. Mother was at a conference on property. They invited me to walk around with them. Was a great day!

I still go solo for part of my stays, usually meeting friends later on. I always have a book on my tablet/phone to read if I do a sit down meal, stay onsite,usually Pop, and smile a lot. My favorite part is riding Thunder over and over. Same with Toy Story Mania. My most favorite thing is doing what I want when I want.

I usually stay on property, but not always. It depends on the time of year & price. If it's significantly cheaper to stay off property & I'm going to do Disney Commando, I'll stay off site. The longer I've had my AP, though, the more I enjoy my downtime, so I've been choosing to stay at the nicer Disney resorts lately. It was so nice to stay at Yacht Club in October because I could easily & quickly get back to my hotel for a nap or pool time. I will do rope drop & stay til close, but I park hop & take a midday break too. I like to find the photopass photographers and take fun pics! I also like to refresh my app constantly & see how many times in a row I can do my favorites like TOT. I just got back from a solo weekend trip and I will say I didn't enjoy Disney Springs as much solo. I went straight from the parks, it was a Saturday night, and I felt really out of place in the bars with my backpack & park clothes (even though I was in a sundress) compared to people who were in nicer clothes or short & tight dresses. I really struggled to get any bartender's attention in The Edison (sooooooo sad because I was really excited to go there) so I would up sitting in Morimoto for a while, and then I left. I guess it's because it was out of the parks and a different vibe, but I struggled to have fun there alone whereas I don't have that problem in the parks. So that's the only thing I'd keep in mind. If you're super outgoing you might enjoy DS more than I did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter