IMHO - Stupid marketing campaign

I LOVE this Disney promotion. I've really enjoyed reading about the people who won & the cool and inventive prizes Disney came up with. I think having something special happen to you, unexpectedly, is magic.

I'm happy for the people who've won -- and I really want to teach my daughter to be happy when good things happen to others -- not to be so me-focused. If she saw someone else win, I would expect her to be happy for them -- no sour grapes.

No, I think what sucks about this promo is making someone think they're going to win, then when they find out they're not family, yanking the prize out from under them. I think that's pretty low and that's what happened to me. I had a pretty hard time enjoying the Magic Kingdom after that. Then on top of that, I asked about the "special ears" and she wouldn't even give me a pair of those after refusing to give me the "special family" dream. Not everyone has family and not everyone can afford to dream. Dreaming and wishing are luxuries I can't afford, but I would have thought that Disney CM's would have a little more tact than that, but I guess not. I guess it's just another example of how adults don't get to have dreams or wishes.

No, I think what sucks about this promo is making someone think they're going to win, then when they find out they're not family, yanking the prize out from under them. I think that's pretty low and that's what happened to me. I had a pretty hard time enjoying the Magic Kingdom after that. Then on top of that, I asked about the "special ears" and she wouldn't even give me a pair of those after refusing to give me the "special family" dream. Not everyone has family and not everyone can afford to dream. Dreaming and wishing are luxuries I can't afford, but I would have thought that Disney CM's would have a little more tact than that, but I guess not. I guess it's just another example of how adults don't get to have dreams or wishes.

Not to seem rude but I have no idea what you just said with all of that. How did they make you think you were going to win? When who finds out who's not family? And for what purpose would that matter? I don't get what you are trying to say?

Please try to explain the problem you had better so we can try to understand :)

I cannot believe that someone would feel so bad about not winning.

I can tell you right now, if the family in front of us 1 a night in the castle- I would be a bit sad for a minute but I would also immediately get a smile on my face and wish the winners good luck :) I like to see people win things, see people with smiles on their faces! It's such a joy for me to see others happy.

I would be telling my children, wow! How great for them! Your kids will ALWAYS have friends who have more, go on trips more, have a better house etc. I can't even believe that you would get so upset over not winning and worse yet, that you would transfer that onto your kids. How sad.

Honestly- I never even knew what YOMD was until I got on these boards- I'm going on the trip with my family- some of them kids, and I have no intention of even bringing it up. WHY? B/c it has NOTHING to do with us going and NOTHING to do with us having a great trip!

I think this parent set their kids up for winning something- and when they didn't, the mother got all upset about it and brought it on the kids.:confused3

What kind of values are we instilling in our children when parents stew over not winning all the time?

Basically, the YOMD cast member spoke to my boyfriend and I for about 10 minutes questioning us about a whole bunch of different things, then we were told by the CM that they were looking for 20 special families for the parade, but since we weren't a family we couldn't win. Ever since I was a tiny child it's been my dream to be in a Disney parade and to learn that I had to be a family to win something broke my heart. I didn't think Disney discriminated against those without families, but I guess they do. So it was dangled in front of us, then when they found out we weren't a family, they yanked it away again.

Basically, the YOMD cast member spoke to my boyfriend and I for about 10 minutes questioning us about a whole bunch of different things, then we were told by the CM that they were looking for 20 special families for the parade, but since we weren't a family we couldn't win. Ever since I was a tiny child it's been my dream to be in a Disney parade and to learn that I had to be a family to win something broke my heart. I didn't think Disney discriminated against those without families, but I guess they do. So it was dangled in front of us, then when they found out we weren't a family, they yanked it away again.

While I certainly came down hard on the mother above, I would have to say that if what you wrote really happened- that's unfair IMO. I don't think it's fair that you must have kids with you or that you must have at least 3 in your party or whatever they quantify as "family"....

That's really what happened. It was just my boyfriend and I so we didn't qualify. Which I think is really unfair because how do you quantify family? What if he was my only "family"?

That's really what happened. It was just my boyfriend and I so we didn't qualify. Which I think is really unfair because how do you quantify family? What if he was my only "family"?

I recommend you writing to Disney about this. This basically ruined the trip for you, as Disney considers you less human than someone with a "family".

honugirl said:
No, I think what sucks about this promo is making someone think they're going to win, then when they find out they're not family, yanking the prize out from under them.
Okay, it’s not fair; on the other hand, being “Family of the” anything, or “Car of the” anything, is NOT A SWEEPSTAKES PRIZE!!! It’s a Magical Moment, granted by a random Cast Member with the authority to do that. Had it been an actual PRIZE, you would have won no matter what the makeup of your party/family. And, those CMs don’t HAVE the Dream Ears to give out as consolation – the Ears ARE an actual, official, listed-in-the-rules PRIZE, and as such, distribution is entirely random and completely separate from Magical Moments. Would it have been nice if the CM had given you something as consolation? Sure, but she didn’t. But dude – you were at Walt Disney World! Isn’t that Magical enough? Look at the millions of people who never get to go!

asmit4 said:
I would be telling my children, wow! How great for them! Your kids will ALWAYS have friends who have more, go on trips more, have a better house etc.
Conversely, they (we all, probably) also have friends who have less, go on fewer/no trips, etc. There’s always somebody who’s got it better than you, and there’s always somebody who’s got it worse. At least (and I really hate to keep pointing this out ;)), we go to Disney World!!!! That’s pretty darn special in itself!

Didn't ruin my whole vacation, just that whole day in Magic Kingdom. The next day we went to MGM and had a fabulous time and saw our favorite performer, Kitty Calico. I guess though I am still really hot under the collar about it though, I really am. I'm just tired of being a second class citizen because I don't have or want kids.

Listen, You were 'qualifying' for either the family fun day parade, or to be Grand Marshalls of the 3pm parade. Considering Ive seen couples grand marshalling the parade, im sure it was for the FAMILY Fun Day Parade.

In which, that parade is meant for families to be in, where a costumed Disney character teaches you a 'dance' gives you a prop and you follow them down main street. HOnestly, its a big deal for children.

I understand you were dissapointed. But its Disney World, and you're an adult. Considering you've most likely lost your sense of illusionment awhile ago, without children (and trust me, as im 22 with no kids) you have to create your own magic and find things to be excited about that dont center around you being made the center of attention. Because its always going to be about children at Disney. Its a place for adults to play, a place for children to play, and a place for adults and children to play together. However adults cant play the same games the kids are playing and vice versa.

Asking families to be in the family fun day parade is how it goes. All the other 'prizes' are random. And many couples with them. Why when i was there last week my mom and I (we were there together) were made honorary citizens of Walt Disney World. And we got special treatment everywhere we went. We're adults. It was great. you gotta be more appreciative of the little things.

Did you really want to be in a parade for parents and young children and march down Main Street banging on a tamboreen? Seriously, if that's your problem you have deeper issues.

I guess I don't even pay attention to any of it, I just go about my vacation. I don't look for anything or any dream makers. I wouldn't now what the CM's that passed out dreams actually look like. I am so happy to be able to go on yet another trip, that I already have my dream. May sound corny to some, but not to me.

I think the problem is with YOUR expectations and not the campain itself. I go and enjoy my time at the park, if I am awarded anything extra then fine, if not I am still enjoying my Disney vacation.

Sure, it would be awesome to get chosen for things such as a night in the castle. Am I going into it thinking it will make or break my vacation if I don't recieve it? - nope. It is a prize and EXTRA, not the whole purpose for my trip.

There is enough magic around at WDW it does not have to be something that is given to you, look at the smile on the CHILDREN'S face (even one not related to you) to enjoy the magic. That is what WDW is about, and I will be enjoying that for years to come, even after they stop awarding "dreams" because a persons dream used to be just going to WDW - why must it now be something more?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter